Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiecraven

new door... should we paint or stain??

Katie
4 years ago

Hi! We recently purchased this home and are in the process of improving curb appeal. We replaced the door and are really pleased so far. Originally, I had planned to stain the door dark walnut but now I’m wondering if my home is too brown and beige and needs a pop of color. Should I paint the door instead?? If so what color? (Don’t worry, I’ll replace entry mat for something larger).
Any other recommendations?
The last picture shows the original door.

Comments (15)

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

If you want to brighten and lighten the feeling, I'd paint with a pop of your favorite color. Most all the house is neutral enough that you have lots of color options. Consider painting those black downspouts to match the background behind them. Looks like new landscaping should be on the list for this fall (bulbs) and next spring. Lots of potential here. Get a professional plan for the plantings and DIY if you're capable.

• Rachel G
    4 years ago

I would also suggest painting it with a fun pop of color.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    4 years ago

I would just clear coat them.

• ptreckel
    4 years ago

Consider painting the porch ceiling in a “Haint Blue.” It will lighten AND liven up the space a bit. Your new doors are lovely in their natural state, so just a protective coating of varnish for the time being? Bring color to your porch with planters, or a bench with pillows that you can change.

• kariyava
    4 years ago

Beautiful door! I would stain it the same color as your porch ceiling.

• Brittany Nelson
    4 years ago

Normally I would say paint, but I feel like it's going to clash with the red brick you have on your front porch and exterior. I think dark walnut would be the best option and would look really great!

• Ashley Nichols
    4 years ago

Clear coat! That would color is beautiful and bright all on it's own! If not, then I vote paint a bright, fun color.

• Brown Dog
    4 years ago

The front of your house looks great! Nice job! I quite like the look of the blonde wood as is! I would clear coat the doors, they're beautiful. Next you should concentrate on landscaping and adding more pots of flowers to get that hit of colour. Perhaps replace cushions on bench with coloured cushions? Whichever way you go, your house is lovely!

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Personally prefer a clear coat or stain to keep the wood look, especially for double doors.

I'd recommend you take the wood look option first if only because if you decide you don't like it, it's easier paint over a wood look than to strip paint from a painted door to achieve a wood look.

• suezbell
    4 years ago

Nice home. Rally like the brick porch, steps and walkway. Like the large porch posts and that you put your 911 number on one of them.

For your front yard, if azaleas will grow in your planting zone, they'll grow in partial shade. That short paver wall could be the beginning of a small front yard patio.

• Katie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We ended up going with a Dark Walnut stain. I am so pleased with how it turned out!

• Ashley Nichols
    4 years ago

Gorgeous!

• Glee 4
    4 years ago

That's what I would have done! Is the trim a darker stain or the same stain? About to do the same thing to our front doors which i want to replace w/ a similar craftsman style.

• Katie
    Original Author
    4 years ago

It’s all the same stain (Dark Walnut). Thank

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21