Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Rec for a medium size, super fragrant, tough Rugosa

7 years ago

I wish to make a hedge of roses along the edge of my front yard. I would like it to be easy care if possible and very fragrant and repeating. The size of the rose bush needs to be 5 feet or less.


My next door neighbor had a long hedge of rugosa roses. I dont know which variety. They werent very tall. The fragrance was amazing. All summer long the fragrance would waft through her yard and over my yard. People walking on the street across her house and front yard could smell it and enjoy it. Maybe it was Hansa, the color of the flowers were a deep dark pink. The blooms just kept coming...This woman was a very successful low maintenance gardener and I know she did not do anything for these roses, not even water.

She left and the house got sold. The new owner took out the rugosas to make more room for his tomatoes.


I would like to have something like that. Can someone recommend a rugosa that is very fragrant, repeats well and is a tough plant. I know I saw a rugosa that fit these qualities while browsing but cant remember at all right now the name. Color is not that important.

Thanks!

Comments (28)

  • 7 years ago

    Katyajini, if you will activate your messaging option in your profile, I have some information I would like to send you.

    katyajini thanked flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
  • 7 years ago

    I fell in love with Frau Dogmar Hastrup‘s fragrance when visiting NY in the spring:

    https://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2842.2

    katyajini thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    My favourite is Moje Hammarberg. I've grown 3 of them for about 8 years, the scent is divine, they repeat well & have good autumn colour. The colour is a deep, dark pink, very healthy like most rugosas.

    katyajini thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • 7 years ago

    Wasagaming is wonderful too.


    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thank you all. Everyone of these recommendations looks wonderful and could work!

    However, I cant find Wild Edric. Does anyone know where it is found?

    And here is a picture of it. How does one get blooms like a wall?


    I might try two different types of the rugosas to make it interesting!

  • 7 years ago

    flowers, I cant seem to get a messaging link going. I messaged you. You might be able to message me back. Thank you :) :)

  • 7 years ago

    Might want to check with freedom Gardens. He has almost all the old Austin's. Give him a call. Or email . http://www.combinedroselist.com/freedom-gardens.html

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 7 years ago

    Hansa is a good one. Deep red-purple, double, not as huge-growing as some rugosas, fragrant, and reasonably good about repeat-flowering.

    katyajini thanked malcolm_manners
  • 6 years ago

    My guess is also that your neighbor had Roserie de lHay as it is super fragrant and has continuous bloom. It blooms a bit more than Hansa. Other great options are: White Pavement, Belle Poitevine (stays around 3’ tall), Dart’s Dash, Mary Manners. All these rebloom well. Roserie is taller though, about 5’ while the others mentioned here stays more at 3’ to 4’ around here anyway.

    katyajini thanked MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
  • 6 years ago

    Snow Pavement is wonderful too.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I grew over 20 different hybrid rugosa varieties years ago.

    The three best for me were: Roseraie de L'Hay (5'), Snow Pavement (Schneekoppe, Gr.; 3.5'), and Henry Hudson (2'). Best gowers. Most abundant blooms. Best repeaters. Best flower form. All fragrant+.

    I believe Wild Edric is a once bloomer. I never grew it, sorry. If not, it looks like a top hy. rugosa for flower form, often seriously lacking in this class of roses, and a rose to consider.

    Wasagaming is another rose I did not grow, but looks great on the photos, nice flower form. If it repeats it could work very well for you.

    Charles Albanel is another great hybrid rugosa with a very nice flower form, inherited from Snow Pavement. I score it my 4th. favorite hybrid rugosa.

    Check out High Country Roses for hybrid rugosas.

    Moses

    katyajini thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 6 years ago

    Ingrid grows wild eadric so maybe she will comment. I think for her it blooms all year.

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Mas, Sheila and Moses..I have been looking up these rugosas and it certainly is becoming harder to choose. Also seems I wont make a big mistake!


  • 6 years ago

    Wasagaming repeats here. Rugosas are wonderful. My Roseraie dl Hay is probably my best repeater.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    The hard part is going to be finding one that stays tiny in your conditions. Fru Dagmar may be your best bet for that. Otherwise, unpruned these will be at least five feet tall. So it depends on how important the height limit is to you.

    katyajini thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 6 years ago

    There are many, many excellent Rugosa cultivars available and few, if any, would disappoint. That said, my favorites are ‘Roseraie de l’Hay’ and ‘Hansa’. I have a plant of ‘Hansa’ in fact, that has been in my family since 1967 and it’s one rose I would never be without.

    A word of caution about the whites like ‘Double de Coubert‘ and ‘Souvenir de Philemon Cochet’: they do not drop their petals, which age to the color of unbleached newsprint - a most unattractive hue. When fresh though, ‘Souvenir de Philemon Cochet’ is a spectacular flower, stuffed full with glistening white petals and rich with that unique clove-like scent.

    If a single bloom style is more to your tastes, then the pearlescent warm pink of ‘Fru Dagmar Hastrup’ is Highly recommended.


    Ps: I’ve grown Austin’s ‘Mrs. Doreen Pike’ and found it a spectacularly poor variety. Also, avoid ‘Rose a Parfum de l’Hay’, which is part Hybrid Perpetual, and one of the most Rust-prone roses I’ve ever encountered. Horrible thing, that.

    katyajini thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    I agree with Paul. Mrs. Doreen Pike was one of the worst all around h. rugosas for me.


    Henry Hudson will stay well under 3' tall. There are some very good and accurate flower and bush shots of HH on Help Me Find Roses. Henry Hudson is more refined in flower and more uniform in moundng habit than the White Knock Out, formerly White Out.


    Moses

    katyajini thanked Moses, Pitt PA, cold W & hot-humid S, z6
  • 6 years ago

    I have never seen a Henry Hudson smaller than 6 ft. I've grown it myself, and I've seen several in other places. It's a nice rose. I like the Explorer rugosas a lot, but they are not small plants around here.

    katyajini thanked mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
  • 6 years ago

    My front yard has a stone retaining wall about 4 feet high and in front of the wall is a strip of land about 3-1/2 to 4 feet wide. Its not possible to get drip irrigation there and I or someone else has to manually water there standing on the street. I was dreading making the area pretty. But I want to plant wherever I can. Now I am so excited! The rugosa idea is a geart one I think. You guys have been so helpful.


    I am leaning towards R de l'H. But several others are quite possible!

  • 6 years ago

    R h is big around here. Please someone can comment as to whether or not the rugosas take well to pruning. Their hips are generally amazing! And great for making tea and jam. I only grow one rugosa and it is not really happy in my basic soil Vasquez purple. Has beautiful flowers though. That should start with the B. Sorry for voice recognition I'll try to type it in later.

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Yes, Vap, I was going to ask about rugosa cultivation. They are easy in general but are finicky about some cultural practices. I hope someone can comment on anything important to remember when growing rugosas such as pruning, fertilizing, watering etc

  • 6 years ago

    I know they don't like to be sprayed with anything. Not sure about the fertilizer but I would think if they're happy and slightly acidic soil they wouldn't need any apparently as they grow on very nutrient-poor soil in a Sandy Beach environment. I suppose it also depends how close they are to the species. They have such pretty leaves and usually such a lovely color. The fragrance can be phenomenal.

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    They do not like any leaf spray or pruning. They look good naturally. The bush shapes and foliage do not need any help. I don't fertilize them either.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    I agree about Mrs. Doreen Pike being thumbs down. For me her foliage clashed with the bloom color.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Sheila, can they be trimmed down if they are growing out of their space?

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, katya, but they have such a great natural shape you should try to imitate the natural look. You really can't go wrong here. I have some roses including David Austins that can look horrible at times, and with rugosas you will never see that happily.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    'Hansa' is a lovely rugosa. I've always liked it. If you want a similar rose on a slightly smaller plant, look for 'Dart's Dash'.