katyajini

Rec for a medium size, super fragrant, tough Rugosa

katyajini
September 25, 2019

I wish to make a hedge of roses along the edge of my front yard. I would like it to be easy care if possible and very fragrant and repeating. The size of the rose bush needs to be 5 feet or less.

My next door neighbor had a long hedge of rugosa roses. I dont know which variety. They werent very tall. The fragrance was amazing. All summer long the fragrance would waft through her yard and over my yard. People walking on the street across her house and front yard could smell it and enjoy it. Maybe it was Hansa, the color of the flowers were a deep dark pink. The blooms just kept coming...This woman was a very successful low maintenance gardener and I know she did not do anything for these roses, not even water.

She left and the house got sold. The new owner took out the rugosas to make more room for his tomatoes.

I would like to have something like that. Can someone recommend a rugosa that is very fragrant, repeats well and is a tough plant. I know I saw a rugosa that fit these qualities while browsing but cant remember at all right now the name. Color is not that important.