Software
Houzz Logo Print
jjkoc

Musings in the garden

Taking time for a closer look...





Comments (15)

  • 7 years ago

    may allow you to see beauty you would otherwise pass by...

    or tiny friends at work...



  • 7 years ago

    before you retire inside to enjoy...

    some gifts from the garden.



  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful roses and artistic photography!

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked totoro z7b Md
  • 7 years ago

    Really lovely photos, with the praying mantis as the star of the show for me.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks Totoro and Ingrid! My friend gave me the mantids and it’s been making the morning watering more interesting...

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful photos! I want to grow a cold hardy fig tree if there is one. Have to buy some fresh figs.

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • 7 years ago

    What a great photo journey—thank you for taking us along! :-)

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Stephanie, it’s interesting you say that... given these are Firefighter which normally have a warm red tone. My experience has been if I cut the flowers when they are earlier in opening and bring them into the house, they turn out bluing, if I let them open more fully on the bush then they stay more warm-toned. I’m not sure if it’s the temp differential, but I think it’s interesting....


    Summersrhythm, I am a fig newbie, and only am growing figs that have been validated locally as really good cultivars for my climate. California is a great place to grow figs but some grow better and taste good more consistently than others.


    There are sone well known colder-growing figs I’ve read about like Chicago Hardy and Olympian, which might just be an English Brown Turkey. Check out the ourfigs forum. You will learn a lot there....


    Thanks Perma, it was rather fun to create a story in this post. It was like my experience as I walked around tending to the garden...

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks! I will check out those cold hardy ones you mentioned. I have a small orchard, would like to add on a couple figs.

  • 7 years ago

    Summersrhythm, most fig enthusiasts container grow in cold zones and store in garage during dormancy. If you want to grow in-ground, it’s advised to container grow for 2-3 years before in-ground planting, and then to heavily protect during winter... this was the advice shared by many on the ourfigs forum.


    I have my figs in containers in SoCal for another reason, invasive roots. I’ve been able to get a good enough family-size crop of 40-50 figs/tree by container culture in our long growing season. There are so many fig varieties but the handful I have are those that I really love!

  • 7 years ago

    Beautiful photos of roses, fruit and garden scenes. I like CA fruits and veggies.

  • 7 years ago

    Could I ask, what is the dark pink rose in the middle? It is so pretty...

    .

    jjkOC zone 10a/22, SoCal thanked verdantcroft
  • 7 years ago

    Hi Verdantcroft, it’s Belinda’s Dream. It really has been a splendid bloomer!

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thank you! I've seen so many love/hate discussions on that rose; I think it likes certain areas better than others. Well..... just might have to see how well it does in Virginia!