Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_726182210

Tile bathtub box?

Precisioneq
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Should I tile front side of my bathtub? I'm tiling the walls and the top of the box we are building. But now I dont know if I should do the front. It's a 7x8' or 9 bathroom. The bathtub takes up one side. I'm worried it will make the space smaller.

The tiles are about 6" x 12"

this is just an example of the front. it will be a full length wall. those are the short walls for the end.

Comments (23)

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Grrr wont post my pictures. I'll try posting shortly

• groveraxle
    4 years ago

I would tile the front of the tub. If you want the room to look larger, tile the whole thing--tub, walls, and floor--and the same tile, preferably a larger format.

• geoffrey_b
    4 years ago

Tile it.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

See if you can do a flush tile skirt for your particular tub.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

You do understand that the entire flange of the tub (all 4 sides) rest on top of the finished tiled tub crib. The back wall needs tub deck also. Frame the box, add 3/4" ply, add cement board and waterproofing on deck and wall. A waterproof uncoupler could be substituted for cement board and tied into the wall. You can not build the crib short and caulk tile to the tub side. That will fail.

Not meant to criticize. I get you have not built the crib yet. Just working off the photo's provided. You may be aware of this but others following along may not. I see improperly constructed cribs often.

Yes I would tile the face but suggest following the advice of the professional designers over my opinion. I'm not a Designer and they are not Tile Setters.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

This is a drop-in air tub that was set up for a flush tile skirt from MTI. The framing is recessed 3/4” back from the tub lip.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

In the construction pic above the black tile flange was factory applied on 2 sides adjacent to walls, so no tile deck surround needed. Your contractor can do a field-applied tile flange on the 3 sides adjacent to walls but would need to pull the tub out to apply it correctly.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

That is a soaker tub only, correct? NOT being used as a tub shower? If so, then a wainscoting panel that matches the vanity will work better than tile.

If you’re trying yo use that as a tub shower, it the wrong material choice entirely. And the wrong design.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Did not see Myrica4 post as I was typing. It's all in planning the details. Butting the tub to the back wall board is a no go. Notching the studs is a good method.

The Op may already have a good plan.

• PRO
    myricarchitect
    4 years ago

OP said the bathroom is @ 7’ x 9’ with the tub along one side, so it does seem this will be the shower. A drop-in style tub like this can be used for a shower as long as it is properly waterproofed. This tub can still work just needs to be framed & detailed a little differently now.

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Why cant we tile to the tub? This is a free standing tub without the skirt as it was not available so we are making the box for the . And yes its it's a shower as well. Why cant we use a soaker tub to shower in? Seen it done before.

Appreciate all the comments. Will reread them when I'm home.

• mvcanada
    4 years ago

Hi, You didn't mention what you are using for your counter, but if it is stone or quartz, you could consider using that material around the apron and on the horizontal surfaces. I think it would be nicer than tile and less chance of a leak with no grout lines etc. Or quartz surface on the tub surround and tile the vertical apron parts. I've seen both done by previous posters.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

It doesn’t have a tiling flange. A tiling flange is like the starter strip on a roof. Everything overlaps that in order for it to be waterproof. It also directs overspray back into the tub. Without it, Water will sit on the deck, mildewing into yuck. Or dribble onto the floor, making it need waterproofing as well. Only the thinnest thin line of caulk and good luck prevent water from penetrating into the wall.

You need an alcove tub with tiling flange.

Yes, you see Bad Design done frequently. What you don’t see is it being ripped out and the mold everywhere underneath it and in the walls. That is done frequently too.

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Mvcanada we are using stone on the top. Definitely not tiling it. The stone will be level with the top of the

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Precisioneq. I will attempt to simplify. In a shower that is properly waterproofed you can actually use the shower without any tile, grout or caulk / sealant.

Vapor / moisture barriers can overlap similar to a roof shingle to shed water or bonded membranes are used similar to a pool liner.

You can't rely on caulk as waterproofing. House structures move. Add the weight of a tub full of water plus a person there will be stresses.

The detail in question is how will your specific tub tie into proper waterproofing as it is not designed for this application. I believe you intend stone flush with tub. That will be difficult.

Perhaps consider stone over tub perimeter. Like a undermount sink.

Sorry if I confused matters in my attempt to simplify:)

NOTE: attached photos are not in a shower area. Tub is the same as OP. With stone overhang this could work in a wet area. At least it would place the sealed movement joint hidden under the stone. Just a thought.

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

That's a great idea Creative Tile eastern CT. Thank you. We were going to purchase schulter water proof membrane on the wall to the tub. But your idea is way better!

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

You would still want waterproofing to tie the wall to tub under the stone, This would allow a seal to the entire top of tub edge which will be hidden under stone. In addition after stone is installed a 100% silicone sealant joint gets filled under the stone to the tub deck. This is not in a book anywhere to my knowledge. So proceed at your own risk. The photo I attached above would have had membrane spanning the perimeter tub to deck for what you're considering. It is a nice finish look. You can always fabricate the sink to match.

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

Remember my previous statement. Your goal is to have a sealed system to take a shower without the stone or tile installed. Then you can install over the top of it. Please approach this from that perspective.

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Creative tile eastern cr That's what we are doing. :-)

• PRO
    Creative Tile Eastern CT
    4 years ago

I suggest avoiding Schluter for this application. Look into Laticrete Hyraban combined with membrane banding material. IMO

https://laticrete.com/en/tile-and-stone-installation/waterproofing/hydro-ban

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago

Any deck, even for an under mounted tub, that does not slope towards the tub, will have issues with water sitting on that flat deck. Or running off onto the floor. Water requires a slope in order to run downhill. That’s why an alcove tub is designed to work as a tub shower, but a drop in or under mount is not.

You can make a complicated plan to waterproof all of the planes and change of planes. You can’t make a tub deck slope unless you thermoform Corian. Every time the shower is used, you will have a water management issue with water on the deck. That’s a whole extra towel for every shower, just to dry the deck.

That’s also waterproofing the floor, as you would in a wet room. Repeated water flowing off of a tub deck onto the floor just transferred the water damage issue outside of your walls and closer to the rest of your house. So waterproof the floor, and the tub deck/ floor connection too.

• Precisioneq
    Original Author
    4 years ago

The cooks kitchen, we are putting a glass wall/door in. My current tub is flat and has no slop and we are good there. This tub is the same. We are waterproofing and covering the sides so that there is no issue with water. I wanted to know about tiling for possible cramped look. I appreciate the concerns and everyone's advice, we do have that part covered and know it can be done.