Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
john_joseph79

Need help with selecting Kitchen & Foyer Tiles with proper contrast

John J
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Experts,
I have a small kitchen that i am trying to remodel. I am planning to do the following things. Please give me your suggestions on converting this to a modern kitchen

1. Paint the cabinets white

2. Refinish the wood floor (near to the kitchen ) with a walnut stain

3. Change the tiles : This is the first thing that i NEED to do. The current tiles are really ugly and so hard to clean. I need a new tile that is less textured, easy to clean and goes good with the future white cabinets and dark floor. Looking for your suggestions

Foyer and kitchen

kitchen · More Info

kitchen · More Info

Kitchen

kitchen · More Info

Foyer view from Kitchen

kitchen · More Info

Kitchen (view from living area)

kitchen · More Info

My Dream Kitchen Floors

Bishops Park Open Plan, White Kitchen · More Info

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Why tile at all do the same flooring all the way through there is nothing wrong with dark wood floors and white cabinets and IMO looks better than that tile no matter which one you choose. and a heck of a lot easier on a baby’s head and your legs and back.

• damiarain
    4 years ago

I agree with Patricia - if you’re planning on refinishing your wood floors, now is a great time to replace the tile with wood and finish them together with your existing floors. How dark are you thinking for the new stain?

• eam44
    4 years ago

Ditto! Install wood instead of tile!

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I agree with your suggestions, but we do heavy cooking. our kitchen gets wet most of the time. I was wondering if it may destroy the wood. I know that wood is classy. but water & heavy traffic is my main concern.

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Let's say if I proceed with the tiles , what would be my best bet? would it look nice if I put some grey color wood look tiles?

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

Not a pro. These from Floor and Decor look similar to your inspiration picture. I think they would look nice.

https://www.flooranddecor.com/porcelain-tile/sahara-sand-porcelain-tile-100054170.html#prefn1=size&prefv1=12+x+24%7C24+x+24&start=14

We have wood in our kitchen. My husband is a pretty messy cook but he doesn't let messes sit very long. Our floors are 20 years old and in need of refinishing, but they've held up pretty well. We don't have any dogs, so they have held up better than my friends' floors who have dogs.

• PRO
    User
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

No to "wood look tiles" next to real wood. Please, no. If you are opposed to wood throughout I would do a dark tile.

I would do a dark slate tile which will look nice with white cabinets and walnut stain floors.

• damiarain
    4 years ago

The dark slate that Glo posted looks nice with a darker wood

---- you didn't answer what shade of walnut stain you're imagining for your refinished floors - a picture is helpful... unless your inspo picture above is what you're thinking????

Re: wood in the kitchen - it's fine to be messy and have water dripping, you just clean up the floor as you go, like you do the counters....

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks for your update. I am planning to put the following stain in the wood floor next to it.

kitchen · More Info

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

what do you all think about white tile floors? will it look good with the dark floor? I am even ready to paint the cabinets in some other color

kitchen · More Info

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

Just keep in mind that darker wood floors show more dust and scratches - keep the Swiffer handy. Natural wood flooring is returning in style and appears to match other tones in your home. Gray "wood" flooring stained or faux is trending out. Either the stain you have or the stain you are considering are good, flexible (style wise) wood floor tones.

Your kitchen has a very good layout which is a plus. You will lose all the warmth in the space when you paint the wood, so running the wood flooring in the kitchen will help with that. Since your layout is good, you might want to consider painting uppers and getting new doors as painted over previously finished cabinets can have some durability issues - especially with children and a lot of cooking.

Recent This Old House kitchen - return of natural wood tones and natural floors.

The This Old House pic is warm, works well with children and has the advantage of working with the tones already present in your home. If you chose to paint uppers only, be careful that the end result does not look like you are only halfway done. If it does, keep on painting or consider new doors.

This idea book has wood kitchens and some wood and white kitchens, both newer and older, refreshed:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks jhmarie. do you have any suggestions for tile?

• dklarhome
    4 years ago

Have you thought about a warm, rusty, gold and putty mixed ceramic tile to tie-in the walnut? Are you redoing the stairs also?

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

yes, I am planning to redo the stairs as well. would you mind showing a picture of the tile?

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

John, I thought you were changing the tiles you have because they're had to keep clean. I don't think I would go with a pure white again because I prefer white grout with white tiles and they are a PITA to keep clean (that's what is in my kid's bathroom and I can't wait to be able to change it).

I have dark charcoal tiles in my basement bathroom like the ones Glo posted. My vanity is white and I think it looks really nice. The flooring outside of it is a mix of grey and brown LVP.

John J thanked chocolatebunny123
  • dklarhome
    4 years ago

No problem, we have wheat colored cabinets but doors and trim are all white. The name of tile was Cerdomus Durango, not sure if they still make it but we always get compliments on it. Good luck with your project!

John J thanked dklarhome
  • John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

thanks beth. let me go through your options. you are really a pro :)

• John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Beth et all, Can you please help me find this tile?

kitchen · More Info

• krdpm
    4 years ago

I have had wood floors in two kitchens and it truly, truly is not a problem as far as durability. It's more comfortable on your feet, things don't shatter when dropped, it's quieter, and you'll have nice flow with the other rooms on the floor.

Since you're refinishing the existing wood floors anyway, I would absolutely lay wood down in the kitchen and finish it all at the same time. No question. Also, it's much easier for tile to really date a space, and even though you love it now, in 10 years your taste often changes. It's not curtains---you're not going to replace a tile floor simply because it's looking a little 2019. This could be a factor if you're planning to sell in ten years. Wood floors simply do not have this issue.

As far as the entry way, depending on where you live, I would *consider* keeping that smaller area tile. When you've got wet, snowy feet it can be nice to have a tile area to come into. If I were going that route I would use something with a dark-ish slate look, or really anything with a natural stone type of vibe. I might look for something that had about the same level of darkness as the new wood floor color, so it wouldn't jump out as a light or dark spot. (Anything but wood-look against real wood!)

Good luck!

John J thanked krdpm
  • John J
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I totally get it krdpm, but the problem is that we cook a lot and we have lots of water presence in the kitchen. That's the main reason why i am planning to go with tile