hoosier_nan

Newest Stout Medal Winner

hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
October 19, 2019

The AHS has announced the newest Stout Medal Winner. It is Scarlet Pimpernel from Nan Ripley. We don't grow it. How many of you do?

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

A pretty daylily if you like UF's and apparently 40 people do as they voted for it above all the other nominees........Below is a link which shows past winners as well.................Maryl

Stout winners

• celeste

I AGREE!!! Scarlet Pimpernel is the bomb. I've been singing it's praises for years. It is one of my first to bloom, blooms for a long time, great bud count, tons of scapes, wonderful color and form, huge blooms. And it's pod and pollen fertile. It set pods for me on every attempt and now I am overrun with seeds. I love this daylily and I'm glad it is getting the recognition it deserves.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

speaking of the bomb Celeste, that picture of Scarlet Pimpernel in the birdbath is a good example. It's the bomb............Maryl

• Nancy 6b

Beautiful!

• shive

Celeste - This dark red flower looks very purple in your photos. What color is it for you?

Debra

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

I checked out the list again, I’m growing seven of them, mixed results with performance of a few here. It was interesting to see all of the shades of yellow early in the awards. Maybe we are a bit spoiled now ; )

Sherry

• celeste

Debra, the color in my garden tends toward purple with red tones. That is NOT typical since I have observed it in Carl Harmon's field (in southern NH) and his is RED. It's my soil at work again.....it wants every flower to be purple:)

• shive

Celeste - There must be some mineral in the soil that affects color.

• celeste

My guess is it's from all the rocks. You literally cannot put a spade into an inch of soil without hitting rocks....the soil is loaded with rocks of all sizes.....NH is known as the granite state. Our soils are high in mineral content from all the granite. Where I live, there was volcanic activity thousands of years ago. The mountains were once volcanos. Where Carl's farm is there are no mountains so maybe that's why his blooms red and mine blooms purple?

• Brad KY 6b

Mine is usually not so dark [I just posted it in the reds]. It is an excellent bloomer and nice and tall with a large flower as listed on garden.org. However, mine never reblooms. Sometimes there is a hint of purple in mine too.

• Brad KY 6b

I just checked the list and I am surprised that I have a bunch of the winners. Also I had Always Afternoon but got rid of it cause I didn't really like it and I had Ed Brown which was a poor performer. Awards for anything have never meant much to me for anything--TV, movies, music and plants as well.

• Nancy 6b

I checked the list too, and I have or have had a lot of them, not all that great. I have Ed Brown too Brad, and have had it for years. It has only in the last couple of years multiplied enough to be considered a clump, and only bloomed modestly. It has almost every year rebloomed though, the only reason I kept it. This year it did outstanding though. It bloomed quite well, then rebloomed almost as well as the 1st bloom.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Here's the list of Award of Merit winners for 2019. More of you may be growing them then just the Stout award winner. I think Debra grows Blazing Cannons for instance. I'd like to try Mayor of Munchkinland, but at over $100.00 on the LA for a 10 year old plant (that may or may not be colorfast), I think I'll pass for now..............Maryl

Award of Merit Winners

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Ed Brown was not good here either. It was a puny plant that never increased much. We got it because everyone said it would put an edge on a fence post. All it did for us was give us puny seedlings.

We have had trouble with Heavenly Angel Ice. It just doesn't seem to want to grow. Maybe we need to move it.

We didn't like the color of Carnival in Mexico. It was not as vibrant as the pictures show.

We got Rose F. Kennedy this season, but it died. Tet. Rose F. Kennedy hasn't done well for us either, but since that is a conversion, it doesn't really reflect on the original.

We just got Heavenly United We Stand. I'm anxious to see how that does for us. Jamie Gossard says it's his best daylily ever.

The oldest one we are growing is Playboy. We saw it in a friend's garden and Bob loved the color so we got one. It's a little too plain for my tastes.

We also grow Bill Norris (wonderful variety), Primal Scream, Fooled Me, and North Wind Dancer.

We need to get Entwined in the Vine and Mayor of Munchkinland. Like Maryl, I am not wanting to spend 100 dollar on it, especially since I worry about hardiness.

Nancy

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Bob's an orange fan as am I. Have you ever tried Mean Green? Looks good in the picture.............Maryl

• Nancy 6b

Nancy, I got Heavenly United We Stand and Rose F Kennedy this fall too, so far both are doing great. I have Heavenly Angel Ice, it did not multiply or really look very good til I moved it to a different spot. Still not a great multiplier, but much improved. I love the blooms or I would not keep it though.

Maryl, i have Mean Green, new last fall and it bloomed really well and increased pretty well for 1st year. I really like it.

• signet_gw(6b)

Boy , I don't see any scarlet in any of the pictures of Scarlet Pimpernel here . Sometimes I wonder if the people naming their registrations just happen to have a name they like and use it even if it doesn't really reflect the daylily they are linking the name to. I have one called Ruby Throat . Yes the bloom is red but not the throat . Throat is bright green . go figure

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Thanks Nancy for the report. Will look forward to your report on it next year. On the one hand it's a UF (ehh) on the other it does look to be a nice orange color............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b

Heather,

I'm with you on the colors. So many are misnamed. So many have Blue in the name but there is no blue. Very few have a hint of blue at best.