Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
signet_gw

Distressing ........

signet_gw(6b)
4 years ago

We went so long without any rain this season that rebloom was almost non-existent . Late September and on into this month we have been getting quite a bit of rain . It is tricking the plants and birds into thinking it is spring I think .

I am starting to see rebloom scapes now ......I doubt we will get to see blooms actually open but I guess you never know . We are also quite warm and we are watching birds checking out nesting spots . I hope they don't try to lay/hatch another family . Weather here can change so drastically overnight . Today though it was up to 24 C. and the birds were busy .

Comments (5)

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I had one plant put out a couple of late scapes, did not expect to see them bloom, but it moved fast and they are done now. I was lucky I think, but yours are really very late. Tricky weather this year everywhere.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

You know , Mantis is no longer posting here and I believe said he was going to use facebook from now on. He at the time of departure asked me " do you think Houzz is not monetizing what we post here" . I knew they were ( if anything of any consequence came up in the conversations) . He was absolutely correct .

Point of interest: My post title is "Distressing" in reference to how the weather is affecting things here . I just noticed all the ads at the side of this post have all got " distress " in their titles. Guess their little algorithms are busy little miners. Also learned that if you " like " something (here or facebook or any site that uses that ) they are mining that info too .. just like facebook . Just watched a documentary on just that info. I can't believe that something as innocuous as daylilies is a target for that behaviour. .

Oh and as an aside , I was checking out all the Gardenweb help section. Under the post How can I report an issue with the site? I thought I might write them about the image issues. They ask you to click "submit a ticket" , There they ask what country (I assume they mean where you are from that Houzz has a vested interest) . A whole whack of countries are listed including India and Russia . Guess what major country is not supported ? .........hmmm. let me see . Oh yeah , it is where I live .......Canada .

I may get tossed for posting this but oh well.

• Nancy 6b
    4 years ago

I remember noticing that once about the ads and figured that matching the title of the post was not a coincidence. Kinda creepy.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Nancy 6b
  • Brad KY 6b
    4 years ago

My Belle Isle Sentry has a scape that will never bloom.

As to ads and mining your posts, I put 2 ad blockers on my browsers. I like Adblock and Ghostery. Another good one is Ublock Origin.

If you you use Slimjet, it has all kinds of blockers built in automatically, and I still add another adblocker just in case.

Seems to work--I don't get targeted in any site except Youtube. It gives me suggestions based on what I watch or subscribe to. But it that case it is ok because I don't get suggestions from garbage I would never want to see.

signet_gw(6b) thanked Brad KY 6b
  • signet_gw(6b)
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Working out in the gardens today ( so much more to do before winter) and discovered one of the plants had put out a bloom scape. This is the first time I had seen this seedling bloom . Of course I had to go and vote and by the time I got back the sun had set but I took a picture of it anyway . Not a great image but I wanted to record it ( october 21st ) because it is blooming so late . It could be quite nice once it settles in and next season maybe I will get a better image .

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting