Software
Houzz Logo Print
miamoo86

Help me make this space cosy

13 years ago
What do I need to add to make this area look cosy and inviting. I am thinking about adding a throw and a knitted cushion. Not sure about colours? What are your thoughts? Thank you

Comments (131)

  • 13 years ago
    Vvsofia thank you for your suggestions and for including pictures, I love when I can see what you are describing. Whatever I end up buying in the end I will use in my new place, so I have to think long and hard If I really want that glass coffee table. My tv unit is also part glass, the doors are glass and the top is also glass. If I go with the footrest table I would probably get a teal coloured one, I would prefer a grey one but because of the rug I think it would look wrong. Decisions, decisions!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Since you like to "see" things, just let me know if you want me to superimpose the daisy into your space....a nice head on shot of the sofa where it will hang and I will work Photoshop magic. :)
  • 13 years ago
    imho if you are really wanting glass in the table... the kids are only going to be little for a short amount of time. you know your kids and how good they are with rules - I was blessed with two girls that pretty much follow them. If your kids are the type that like jumping and walking on things and don't listen to "no", glass is a bad idea. Otherwise, either do something else that is a "just for a year or two" solution or go ahead with the glass. If you are the type to buy something you plan to keep "forever" don't do something just for a short term issue. Having said that, I'm not into glass tables personally and would do a softer solution with a tray on it. :) But that is me, and my house is very much not contemporary. 1:30am and 5am last night... I think it is the 2 year old molars.
    miamoo86 thanked Miche EE
  • 13 years ago
    some color visuals for you... I played on sherman williams site with your pic. I gave you white trim because... the way the current color is coming thru is bad. I know you are going to a new place so that's prob not relevant. you have windows now - so a strong color works well on the window walls and the dark couch seems to me to need it. I picked from the historic pallette because they tend to be more grey undertone (less "happy") which I thought would work well but may not be modern enough for you. Whatever you end up with for art really should be the thing you draw color from, and remember all walls don't have to match and the ceiling is the "fifth wall"
  • 13 years ago
    Michee627 This coffee table is very similar to the one I have on order. My little girl is 6 months old so Im not sure how well she is going to listen when I say no. At the moment she is still not crawling. I suppose if worst comes to worst I can put the coffee table in the spare room until she learns.

    I had a bad night last night too, I think I jinxed myself yesterday haha. I am not looking forward to teething. The wonder weeks are bad enough haha.
  • 13 years ago
    Glass table
  • 13 years ago
    How would it look if I had a white ottoman instead?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I like the glass table! White, black...teal and pops of yellow...I say yes. :)
  • 13 years ago
    I love the glass table :-) My living room looks like a bomb went off in it...as soon as I clean up I will upload a photo of the wall for you :-) I hope you've had a good day terracegallery.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The day has been great! I just finished three beautiful originals by commission....now it is storming bad...thunder and lightening and lights flickering....but I love storms. :) I will be here whenever you are ready. .....unless my Internet goes out again. ;)
  • 13 years ago
    Ter-Gal, where are you? We had wonderful storms in the late afternoon. So refreshing!

    Miamoo, yes! Do the glass coffee table. Flippn' fantastic! Can't live for the kids!
  • 13 years ago
    My two cents...you need to turn the rug. It's facing the wrong way. If it's to small, angle it. With the existing pillows, add another color (green, orange?). Don't worry that the rug is gray. It's neutral. Adding gray to a black sofa isn't warmth. Add a throw blanket too. Add a very large print or two large prints. If you find a print you like, pull those colors for the added pillows and throw. Then go with a patterened window panel. Hung at the ceiling that just barely touches the floor. No puddling. You also need a side table and lamps. Have fun!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I agreed with Cindy, i think the rug is facing the wrong way. if you put it horizontal way, maybe you can put some part of the carpet under the sofa and move the sofa forward away from the wall. just a thought. good luck.
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you lovely ladies...there is still so much I need to buy and do. Still waiting on the throw I ordered. I have moved the couch away from the wall and turned the carpet back to how it originally was, just need to get hubby to lift the couch so I can put some of the rug under there. I will include a pic of the lamp I want to buy, please let me know what you think.
  • 13 years ago
    Something like this
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Think lots of pillows, a shag rug, artwork and a coffee table. Warm colors!
    miamoo86 thanked S&K Interiors LLC
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Jen046......alas I must sleep sometime!! LOL

    I like the lamp....very contemporary and I like the gentle curve of the metal.

    Hints of green....hints of burnt orange...ALL that I read above is included in my daisy painting you like so much miamoo86. :)
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Love the style of the standing lamp. here is a similar one from ikea... probably cheaper :)
    miamoo86 thanked vvsofia
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Great find wsofia! The white might go a little better than the off white too.
  • 13 years ago
    exactly. i think the white will give a better contrast to the rest of the furnitures in this room.
  • 13 years ago
    IMHO I'd go with the ottoman for the young years and upgrade to the glass table when they are a little older. The ottoman is much friendlier - mine are 4 1/2 and 2 1/2. You might in the new space find that you want to keep it and re-organize the layout later when you add the table. I would be careful about white leather if you are headed there... make sure it is a kid friendly fabric because you will need it once they are mobile. Sticky hands, sippy cups with milk, snotty noses .... you get the picture
  • 13 years ago
    Terracegallery - those were my exact thoughts...I have all those colours in the daisy painting. I am sooo in love with it. I now have to convince my husband to pay for it :) I do get my way alot :)

    Loving that lamp vvsofia - so you think white is the way to go not cream. I love ikea, its so cheap and only a 20 minute drive.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I think the white goes nicely...clean "pop". It is funny with art...me and the Hubby agree on most things, but there are a few pieces that he had to compromise on and a few I did for him. Of course with me being an artist, my grandma, my daughter's art and his mother an artist too we have A LOT of art in our house!! He had a piece his Mom had painted when I met him that I couldnt stand...he didnt like it all that much either....it hangs in the "Dog Room"...ha ha ha
  • 13 years ago
    Well the good news is that he loves the painting also, the bad news is he thinks I get carried away too quickly and just rush out and buy it. I kind of already have my heart set on it, it was love at first sight haha
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I am the impulsive one in our relationship so I can relate....he "thinks" about things for long times and it drives me nuts. ha ha I sell a lot of my artwork through various venues....I have been a professional artist for over 10 years....I am in the business of making people happy. If you do not buy my art it will not hurt my feelings at all. I am always happy to have "touched" someone with my work even if it is only online. :) But if he agrees, I will be thrilled to see it on your wall!

    If you want to learn more about me...read reviews, etc. you can here: http://sharoncummings.wordpress.com/
  • 13 years ago
    Did you say you are a artist? Why not get a large canvas and paint a 40x40 picture for above your sofa. Love the pillows you may add gray to mix it up. But art is what you need. Go contemporary .no frame.
  • 13 years ago
    Boris sounds very much like your husband...he drives me bananas! As soon as the little one is asleep Ill take a picture of the lounge room wall and If you could photoshop the painting in so I can show him what it would look like. I really appreciate your time and help.
  • 13 years ago
    Me an artist....no I can only draw stick figures hehe
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Will do!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you
  • 13 years ago
    hey - how bout this... I was thinking the same thing.... terrace gallery could probably pick up one of the orange/rust tones better than the SW Chip It would do but here's some wall colors. I can't wait to see what terracegallery can do with a real tool! :)
    miamoo86 thanked Miche EE
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I have put my work in people's decor before and had to tell them no it wasnt a good fit....but I really like this here. :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Now I have to go and prepare food for my family...will be back!
  • 13 years ago
    Gosh that looks stunning!!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    I love it i love it i love it i love it!!
  • 13 years ago
    does look great - I think you could use some color on the wall too. have a good dinner!!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    We are grilling. :) Have a moment....if you guys decide to go for it, let me know so I can make you a coupon....it wont be a HUGE savings because my mark up isnt huge (Fine Art America gets their cut no matter what)....but every little bit helps. :) I like the idea of a frameless piece...so having it printed on canvas and rolled in a tube is the way to go...then have it stretched there or if you or Boris are handy you can stretch it yourself...all kinds of "how tos" online for that. Now back to the grill!
  • 13 years ago
    What size would that approx be? I want to go canvas, Im not a fan of framed art. Make me a coupon :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Here is a repeat of earlier:

    O.k. 2.7 m equates to 106 inches. If you are going for canvas the smallest I would go is 26x60 inches, but the 32x72 or 37x84 would be a better fit.

    Use some tape to tape off these sizes....stand back and decide what is the best dimension.

    here are the metric sizes 66 cm x 152 cm, 81 cm x 183 cm and 93 cm x 213 cm.

    I will give you a coupon for 25% off of "MY" commission...it isnt off of the whole price...like I said FAA gets their cut no matter what.....but I am willing to reduce my income by 25% for you. :) You will know how much you will save when you check out. It depends on what size you get.

    Here is the coupon code: JACLKP

    Thrilled!
  • 13 years ago
    Thank you sooooooo much, Im going with 32x72 :)
  • 13 years ago
    We do NOT do rudeness here. Opinions are one thing, but rudeness, not so much!
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    The little touches that everyone has suggested and giving it your own taste in art will give you exactly what you were looking for when you came to Houzz. Teal and yellow are a great combination and I love what you have done with the pillows. Cannot wait to see the whole room put together. :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Back to your beautiful room. :)
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    That picture brings the whole room to life. It's one that will go in your new place too.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    terracegallery's artwork is lovely! The picture is perfect for your space miamoo86, I am so happy your space is coming to life.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Hi... sorry for my late late reply, due to time different! im in west africa!:) anyway, i do think white look better than the cream. i think the white gives a fun cozier feeling, as for the cream look kind a serious:)

    Btw, the painting from terracegallery is stunning!!!! Loving the yellow touch within the blue!! and it makes a big different in your room! LOVE IT !
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Paint the wall in warm Colors ,have some plant or flowers,pictures or painting,lamps...
  • 9 years ago

    Three years old.....funny how these recycle, but still soooo good to read again.