Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redneckgirlgreenthumb

Rooting Flying Dragon cuttings?

Anyone had any luck rooting cuttings of Flying Dragon, (Poncirus Trifoliata)? When I cut the top out of mine to graft, I put the top in soil, hoping they would root, however they haven't yet. They are still green and alive looking, just no roots. Is it possible to root them? I didn't do any special prep on the cuttings, just stuck them in some soil, no rooting hormone or anything, (although I probably should have). With some it has been a couple of months. Don't want to disturb them, to look for roots, so I guess I will just wait until spring and see. Sigh... Oh. they are in the greenhouse, not outside.

Anyone have experience rooting them?

Comments (24)

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

2-3 months for me with 3 of 4 dying.

redneckgirlgreenthumb thanked poncirusguy6b452xx
  • bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

I tried once or twice no luck, even pros have trouble with that. key is from what I've read choosing young shoots under one year, using gel hormone, and definitely heat mats or something like that (I start seedlings on top of my boiler...) Nobody brags about 80% takes...more like 20%

redneckgirlgreenthumb thanked bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
  • redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow. You would think they would be easy to start. I will just let them set. If they don't root, no big deal. Thanks for the info.

• bklyn citrus (zone 7B)
    4 years ago

Mole the sucker was probably young and actively growing too....I thought they would be a good choice when you get them on rootstock

• tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    4 years ago

FD and I think PT too are very hard. My success rate has been zero out of three attempts. Growing from seed is so much easier. I have a bunch of FDs growing in a pot that I started in early spring. Do FDs from seed all grow true to type? I seem to have read that not all are.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

50% for flying dragon. Those that are not true are PT's

4 years ago

Thanks Steve. So I have to wait to figure out since they are 6 inches tall and they all look alike more or less.

• Brad Edwards
    4 years ago

20% success can be bragged about just think that is 1 of 5 and if you know you have that rate and take 100 cuttings you get 20 solid rootstock. Figure 5 grafts won't take and for 100 cuttings you get 15 dwarf citrus... not to bad for just about free in my book. Especially if you consider the cuttings from parent citrus just some healthy early spring trimming vs butchering a plant.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I stuck about 8. They are off in a corner of the greenhouse. If they root ok, if not ok. They didn't cost anything. But I would like for them to! Lol!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

any updates?

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Steve, I haven't checked all of them, but I do have one that is putting on new growth. I am hoping that it has rooted, and isn't just expending what energy it had stored. Some of them lost all their leaves and some retained them. I don't know if that will make a difference in them rooting or not. In December I did pull one up, but it had not rooted, so I am going to leave them alone until late spring and see if they do anything. It cost me nothing to experiment, since they were cuttings from seedling trees. Still hoping.... Lol!

• Kelley_GA8a
    4 years ago

Good luck and keep us posted! I have been rooting figs in a coir bin and have experienced about a 90% success rate. I took two sticks from my eureka and placed them in the bin to see what happens. If it works, I’ll try PT next.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Kelly, I will try. I usually have no problem rooting figs or pomegranates, (there are exceptions, like my first try with a Panache fig cutting. And a Haku Botan Pomegranate.) I have rooted a Lisbon lemon, Ponkan mandarin, a Australian Finger Lime, Meyer lemon, an key limes. But had problems with the New Zealand Lemonade. These cuttings on Flying Dragon have been in soil since October. I will wait until late spring early summer before I call it a failure. LOL!

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Fukushu rooting no roots yet. One month.

Bud node about 75-85

4 years ago

I stuck a twig from a store bought mandarin (satsuma if I recollect) about a year ago. It had one leaf when I stuck it in the pot. Now it has whopping three leaves. Height is about 3 inches and still green. Cannot tell if it has rooted but must be. Otherwise it is a miracle twig.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I've had mayhaw cuttings bud out, make leaves and grow for a bit, with no roots. But of course that didn't last long. I've only been trying to root stuff in the last year or so. Never had any luck before that. Branching out these days, trying new things, like topiaries, espaliers, and grafting.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Well, so far, one Flying Dragon has rooted. and a couple others have callused. So unless I killed them by digging them up, I have a bit of success! (Sorry for the double picture, I don't know what happened. Lol. I couldn't get my phone to focus on the roots, on the other one). I stuck eight cuttings. Success rate not great, but now I know it can be done. Have fifteen seed in a pot, hopefully a few will come up. On the first and last, (sigh) pictures, it has tiny little white root bumps, right on the end. Maybe I won't kill them.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    4 years ago

My callused Fukushu cutting has now dried up and died.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

We win some, we lose some. I actually got a cutting of my Finger lime to root, and I had read they were hard to root. Of course, out of 10, only one rooted. So, we try, try, and try again. Lol.

4 years ago

Good job with FD rooting.

redneckgirlgreenthumb thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
    4 years ago

I had better luck with a dwarf finger lime (green kind, microcitrus papuana). 4 out of 4 rooted but lost one of them later because it dried out.

• norwoodn
    4 years ago

I will be trying to root cuttings from the CCPP. Alemow (Macrophylla), Flying dragon, C-35, and Smooth flat seville sour orange. So i far i have had one successful rooting of Cuban shaddock. These clones will eventually be rootstocks. It is possible and much more efficient to clone and graft in one step. Some nurseries do this in California.

• redneckgirlgreenthumb
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Norwoodn, Good Luck with your endeavor. It has been months since I stuck these cuttings in soil. I forgot to use rooting hormone, which might have helped. I'm hoping to graft scions of some of my citrus onto Flying Dragon root stock.

I have seen video's of people grafting and rooting in one fell swoop. But I wonder how many they lose doing it that way. Of Course, they are much better than I at grafting.