Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Balling, what can one do???

6 years ago

Is there any remedy for balling? Many roses that I love ball so badly, specially in spring when there is much drizzly, continuous rain here and the roses are at their blooming best. Any thing at all???

Comments (18)

  • 6 years ago

    I'm afraid, other than peeling each bloom open, many choose to favor roses that don't ball if their climate requires it. Often, the non ballers have less petals or petals with more substance.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    What Sheila said. Plus, add "balling" to your pre purchase research requirements. I knew, moving here, that balling would be an issue due to the intense marine influences traditional here on the Central Coast. So, the Teas which are known for balling issues aren't here. I experience few balling issues with the ones I grow.

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    I have the same problem, many of mine ball. I am considering moving a couple to planters and putting them in my patio. This is now a pre purchase question for me..

    katyajini thanked ladybug A 9a Houston area
  • 6 years ago

    I believe it’s Vaporvac that planted her Clotilde Soupert (notorious for balling), under the eves of her house to keep the water off the blooms. My own Clotilde Soupert didn’t ball while I had it potted on the patio. Once I planted it into the ground, it never performed as well for me, even in my dry climate. I think it did much better with more water to the roots and better air circulation. Lisa

    katyajini thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    The cure for balling is avoidance.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Lol Marlorena your picture is priceless, I just love it. I personally some times go out and “help” some of mine to open a bit. I did this with earth angel when it she was still small and not too many blooms. Also I plan of placing pompon veranda (famous for this issue) where it can get very early sun in hopes it helps dry it faster. Otherwise I just ignore it :). I agree if this is a consistent problem it should really be a criteria to consider before selecting roses to avoid disappointment.

    katyajini thanked dianela7analabama
  • 6 years ago

    There are some roses that don't exactly BALL . . . And will open nicely if you remove the outer petals only. 'Marie van Houtte' comes to mind.

    But if they're going to ball all the time ('Clothilde Soupert' does, here) I can live without them.

    katyajini thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago

    I got rid of several roses because they always balled here in the Great Lakes humidity central. (JFK was the worst) The thicker petaled roses are less prone to it (PJP, II did much better) and the singles never ball for me. Whites and pastels seem to tend toward the thinner petals and will often stick together. Darker colors seem to do better (Vets. Honor NEVER balls!). Maybe the darker color holds the heat better so they open. Surprisingly my many petaled David Austins don't really ball up for me. Go figure?

    katyajini thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • 6 years ago

    Mostly I use Paul's strategy of avoidance for roses that ball, since if they do it in my dry climate they're notorious for it. I do add the caveat though that some roses will ball at the beginning of spring and maybe the end of fall but never during prime growing season, in which case I add the second strategy of "ignore it". Belinda's Dream is one that does this for me in late May but not later in the year. There's always a third strategy of "consider this a rose with round blooms" which is my take on Clothilde Soupert. She survives in a rotten high sun hellstrip spot and she's earned her right to ball. I think I've seen occasional opened blooms, but I just consider them a type of balloon flower that might or might not "pop".

    Cynthia

    katyajini thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I think I'm considering myself lucky that the lovely Clotilde does so well for me. I have three and they are always in bloom. even the two bush form that are exposed in full sun. They're getting a bit of botrytis with our cold rain but still opening! : )) These were two days ago and the slightly opened ones are now looking good. I'll see if I can get a pic between the raindrops. : ))

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I guess there is nothing easy like a spray....

    Thanks so much everyone....I guess it happens a little bit to most of us

    Clothilde Soupert was the worst for me too. Unfortunately I dont have eves to tuck in pots.

    Its not straight forward. Marchesa Boccella has many petals and very thin petals but does not ball for me. But Sombreuil with with a similar number of petals but thicker ones would ball...

    Cynthia, like you say I have to figure it out for myself at every step..

    Marlorena :)

    Seil: Good to know that the DAs dont ball. Does Jude not ball either, it seems very globular?

    you are lucky Vap!

  • 6 years ago

    Just never balled for me, it is very globular. Coming to think if it, none of the DA's ball here. Clothide is the worst for this.


    Vapor, I cant believe how pink yours is. Mine was pure white all summer, in cooler weather it has a totouch of light pink at the center!

  • 6 years ago

    Austin's roses were all trialed and tested in the UK, so balling would have been evident in testing and offenders quickly culled.

    katyajini thanked User
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Good thought, Paul. Never thought of that but with the UK's damp weather balling would be a problem there.


    Katy, boy do I wish there was a spray for the weather, lol!

    katyajini thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I know Rekha. This is what it looked like most of the summer for me. this is soon after planter so they're much larger now and remain very healthy having recovered from the slight BSpotting observed while in a pot.


    These bush forms are out in the open and I've since had to move the climber from its protected spot for more sun, so we'll see how it does in the spring. Fingers crossed! ; ))

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I amended my first pics adding the ones with botrytis? and changing out the deep pink photo as that was actually ZAIDE!!! SORRY!!! Anyway, Clotilde is still fairly pink this time of year even looking at old pictures. : ))

  • 6 years ago

    I am just glad the DA roses dont ball for most part!