5989369

Calling all Glam Peeps!

Bobby

Time for my master bathroom design! I’m in love with this black-and-white bathroom. My space is about the same layout but about 10 feet wider and 14 foot ceilings. Changing a few things. Built-in Jacuzzi tub with surround Carrera tile same as counter and shower but with the photo of the less veined one. I ordered this glass mosaic mural to put on the wall of shower facing entrance. No ceiling in shower just frameless glass.. Love the onyx/mother of pearl floor. I was thinking to use one black 48 x 48 in ctr with gray MOP border and tile the rest with 24 x 24’s, no border.. I would love other ideas for flooring . Should I use wht MOP? Or iridescent mosaic trim? Anyway
Please no snark on over the top blah blah blah.. I’m a Versace girl vs St John Knit..

Beth H. :

bobby, the color rinses off in your own shower. (well, I have purple so maybe it's just me!) If you're a blond then I wouldn't worry. but darker colors will rinse off and stain any natural stone over time.

• mgs137

I love your inspiration pic! I hope you'll post some "after" photos when it's done!

Help select a glam wallpaper and paint

Your room looks beautiful. I can picture fresh flowers in that middle vase, like a bunch of lavender hydrangeas and white tulips spilling over in the spring, or white roses and pine in winter! Good luck with the basement...I know how time and money get sucked into the next project! We've been renovating different parts of our house for years! Lol. Tell us when you start a new thread for your basement! I'd like to follow your progress. :)

help me turn this laundry area into a pretty glam room

and this is what my stairs currently look like and next to it is an example picture of what I am turning them into only that my tile will have a bit more greys in them

Want Powder Room Glam!

yes theres no shower, but there is a toilet and a sink. even dirtier than a tub. im just saying, if an accident happens, id want to bleach the ground, baseboard etc, and be able to clean the wallpaper with sanitizing materials im even more surprised pros advocating wallpaper moreso than paint just because its popular or whatever its just more sanitary to leave powder rooms, bathrooms etc with no wallpaper....or atleast ONLY on the top half at the very least stencil if you want "bold" designs but i dont really care what you or anyone does with their house or what pros think...just stating things to keep in mind

Home Office Goes From Blah to Whimsical Glam!

Left this photo out and it’s one of my favorite features of the room. The rug has silver in it. The curtains’ polka-dots are a silver metallic thread and the rose painting has silver glitter edges... ❤️ Should I keep it centered on the wall or move to above the desk? I’m looking now for a white console cabinet to go on that wall for storage, to store things I need accessible but with which I don’t want to clutter the room.
  • Bobby

Donna B gorgeous! Love it.. I get so much bs from Pros on here when wanting to use more then 2 or 3 diff tiles in my bathrooms(god forbid). You should see what I’m doing for granddaughters bathroom & my 13 yr old little sisters bathroom. Can you say girly bling! I’ll post when done ..

• Nancy in Mich

Those tubes can have little puddles of water sitting in them and your skin cells and such there to feed bacteria. We are not talking normal germs. We are talking a soup of nasty stuff. People have turned on jets and seen green or blackened water shoot out. I am someone who does not keep a very clean house, allows my dogs to kiss me on my lips, and believe that we all need exposure to bad things, too. But I won't rent hotel rooms with jetted tubs anymore. And strangers' crud growing in the tubes is no worse than my own.

Flo Mangan

41st · More Info

I would advise you go more whites/off whites. You can add black into floor for a "rug" look but I love the calm look of this bath. Great gold fixtures and hardware too.

• mercurygirl

^Oh, that's pretty.

Agree about the jetted tub, I had one and thank god it's gone!! It was seriously disgusting.

• Bobby

Nancy I don’t ever use the jets in our jacuzzi tub but my hubby does .. Hmmm do these germs make you a little nuts ? This could explain a lot...

• Bobby

Flo Beautiful but not exactly the look I’m going for. Definitely love the tub and will do something very similar to that with the tile surround and I might change the blk vanity to white But Definitely keeping all the chrome fixtures and black flooring and love the black crown molding.. FYI I don’t need anything calm in my life since I don’t work and I’m pretty much a slug so I need my surroundings to wake me up!

• Donna B

@Bobby it's your house and you have to follow your heart! I Love your glam style though.

• Bobby

Patricia & tatts I have old & new money friends and my old money friends enjoy having their Chanels, Bentley’s and lavish homes etc.. just like my new money friends.. Hmmmm don’t really notice the difference.. just sayin..

• Bobby

Here’s what the master looked like when we bought this home.. just horrible. I like it better now that it’s gutted actually..

Flo Mangan

Bobby. You are a bundle of joy. Btw, a tub is not easier to get into as you age. Knees get worse, among other things so this is why so many are going to curbless large showers. Sure wish we had that now. My very active hubby (ran 6 miles 6 days a week) suddenly had a rare attack of a disease that caused a fall and he is recovering from 4 broken bones in his right foot. Shower has 7” drop to get into the shower and he just recently was able to negotiate it. So just saying you never know. I think you know what you want and you have gotten some great advice here. Wishing you get the space you desire.

• Bobby

Flo I just ordered this in black with black mosaic accents and I’m gonna make my husband wear a blk bikini bottom to match my glam bathroom as well..

Flo Mangan

Hey order two and send me one!

• Seajay Sparkles

Bobby, you’re a hoot and I know you will eventually do your own thing that makes you happy and your heart sing. Can’t wait for grand finale. But you mentioned when you drop food on the floor you follow the five minute rule. . . I think you meant the five second rule. LOL.

• Bobby

Seajay actually I did mean 5mt rule . Things like Lobster get 15 mt rule..

• shwshw

Following...

• mackdolan

This seems to be the Nick Cage school of fake overpriced “glam” rather than the actually sumptuous and tasteful regency that comes from the quality of the materials used. Simple and tasteful is the most difficult and most expensive thing in the world to achieve. Throwing glue and glitter onto something to hide poor quality and poor workmanship is easy and cheap.

• Bobby

@mackdolan Im not fond of “simple” when it comes to my home or style . That’s why I love the inspirational bathroom pic, which I think is far from simple! I’ve always wanted the WOW factor.. Its just my personality.. : ) Btw I wish this bathroom was going to be cheap..

• ilikefriday

I am with you Bobby. I want nothing to do with simple decor.

@mackdolan is simple and tasteful the only way to decorate? How about glam and tasteful? Cheap and tasteful? OTT and tasteful? It might even be fun if some rooms are not tasteful at all. Seems to me if simple and tasteful is the only way to go, a house could get pretty boring quickly.

Glitter and glue? I don't see what those two items have to do with this post however I can imagine some amazing works of art being created with just that.

• Bobby

@ilikefriday exactly! Some people are JackieO & others are Melania. I’m definitely Melania! Even my barbies were always glammed out. Haha Some rms in my reno are gonna be super glam & others warm and cozy with with hint of glam. My hubby is more T Bahama, which for a glamgirl is like poison. But luckily he gave me carte Blanche in renovations & designs. Poor guys gonna need to wear sunglasses in our house..
    Glass mosaic mural is finished & has shipped, super excited! My poor tile guys are gonna kill me cuz I’m gonna hover over them thru whole installation process cuz it wasn’t “cheap”!

• ilikefriday

@Bobby I would not describe myself as JackieO or Melania. I am more of a cheap and OTT gal with a tad of tasteful sprinkled in, but ONLY a tad. You know, a mackdolan nightmare.

Can you share your ideas for other rooms in your home? I would love to hear what other designs you have in the works.

• Bobby

@ilikefriday I’m more like Melanias trashy sister. Haha. Heres one of my bathrooms in the works . I pulled this design outa my butt. Chrome fixtures and blk vanity/white carrera top. Should I bedazzle the window sill with glue & glitter?

• ilikefriday

@Bobby This bathroom will be spectacular. I love layering patterns. I hope you will post updates. As for the window, maybe you should contact this guy and have him bedazzle it for you. He looks pretty talented.

• Bobby

@ilikefriday holy cow! ty btw .. That’s amazing. Man of my dreams!

• kudzu9

Bobby-

When I toured Versailles, I thought it was one of the most overly decorated, soul-less places I'd ever been in, but the woman from New Jersey who was trailing behind me would exclaim "Gaw-jus, just Gaw-jus" whenever we walked into another room. I suspect that if she saw my minimalist, modern house she would feel only pity for me. So I understand that different people can have vastly different tastes. Just be aware, however, that when you go to sell your home, an overly ornate bathroom with chandeliers and bling may be off-putting to some buyers. Realtors find it easier to move houses with neutral color schemes and simple decor as buyers are notorious for not being able to see past the yellow kitchen or the oversized couch.

• Bobby

@kudzu9 oh I know that! But we do plan on staying here for years to come. Our realtor made us remove half our furniture, paint everything beige, remove all wallpaper and replace every chandelier with wht ceiling fans in our last pl. Btw when did you tour Versailles & were you wearing calvin klein jeans?!? : )

• kudzu9

I toured Versailles decades ago, and to the best of my recollection I was wearing cargo pants ;-)

• Bobby

I have a dilemma. So I’m trying to design the master bathroom floor and it’s so hard to get the vision without having it down. And the tile company I’m using is non-returnable items when you order. So at what length do people go to visualize their floor without money wasted ??

• Nancy in Mich

I would bet I have over $100 in floor tile samples.

• jmm1837

Given the likely cost of your finished bathroom, I don't see the point of nickle and diming it on samples.

• Bobby

@jmm1837 more like quarter & dollaring. That’s the problem. I have to put down probably 100 ft.² to get my vision. Ugh.. As long as my hubby doesn’t find out I guess .. I wish there was a virtual software system to do this .

• tartanmeup

Bobby, is there any reason you're not working with a designer? They have such software as do some tile companies. (Must admit I was under the impression you had an unlimited budget and carte blanche so I'm confused about the worry of your husband finding out about tile samples.)

• Bobby

@tartanmeup here we go !! Lol Unlimited budget vs waste can be a big difference and I’m not talking about tile “samples”, I’m talking about ordering 100 ft.² just so I can get an idea of what it looks like.. And that’s not cheap! : ( I’ve tried working with about four designers and it seemed all they wanted to do is push 20k sofas on me! I wld never spend that on a sofa with 3 cats and few dogs. Never!! Id end up covering them with plastic . Haha

• Bobby

So I just Received my glass mosaic mural.. O M G so gorgeous! Im gonna sleep next to it tonight and cuddle.. I might have to just Do the whole bathroom in white Carrera and black vanity with the black crown molding cuz I can’t distract from this masterpiece.. yippee

• tartanmeup

You determine the scope of the project with a designer, Bobby. You also set the budget. You can have a global budget and set limits for items as well. You can also hire someone to help you with just a bathroom if you so desire. If you're worried about being wasteful with tile (and really, tile can often be repurposed/donated), mockups and artist renditions are your best bet. So glad you like your mosaic!

Bobby thanked tartanmeup
  • ilikefriday

Bobby I am sure your mural will be fabulous. Your inspiration board indicates it is 5'x8'. Was the mural sent in smaller pieces? It appears there is plastic on a portion. Is that piece just unwrapped? It is hard to get a feel without all the pieces put together. It looks like you have a flower petal showing. I love the shimmery tile that was used and black it's my favorite color! Love how other colors pop off of black. It's is just a dreamy color to me.

Perhaps after you are done with that 100sf of tile that you are thinking about, you can hand it over to a local artist and have them create another mosaic with those pieces. Or a mirror frame. Maybe mosaic a toilet handle, I have always thought I would do this to my toilet. Seems so cool to me ...

Thank for the update. I can't wait to see more!

• tartanmeup

(Friday, you know I love your ideas but must say no to the toilet handle idea. That doesn't sound optimally hygienic. ;-))

Bobby, I think a few of us are living vicariously through your reno. Must say though that if I had serious money to renovate my house, I'd hire an experienced designer to help guide me. The access to design and craftsmanship resources alone would be worth it. Not to say I don't hear you on your less than stellar experiences with designers so far though. I've hired a few for projects around my house and have had disappointments with all of them.

Bobby thanked tartanmeup
  • Bobby

@tartanmeup I understand .. I guess I hooked up with the wrong designers at first and they really turned me off.. When team of two met me at house they brought fabric Samples in linens, brocades, silks, of course $100 & more a yd, and not only had I sent them my inspiration pics & idea of budget, I also sent them pics of my 3 Bengal cats! They knew I had to be extremely careful with fabric choices. They shld know what fabrics you can & cant have with cats .. Google!! Haha... After they left I sent them an email explaining that I couldn’t spend 50k per room on furniture & to please help me find cat friendly fabrics and stay in budget , guess what? Poof, they disappeared!

And as far as tile I already have boxes sitting in garage, cuz I changed my mind once I saw it put against wall. $1000.. : ( And I am trying to think of where to repurpose it desperately! And yes my mosaic is breathtaking! I sent pics to tile guy & he said, “oh I can’t install that“! I almost started crying till next text, “kidding”.. I figured with 20 yrs experience & impeccable wrk so far. . I told him I wld be supervising the complete install anyway. I’ll make them ghoulish for lunch. They’re Hungarian..

• ilikefriday

@tartanmeup I was thinking that as I was typing it. Maybe that is why I never tried it? Maybe a painted handle? Small flowers to compliment the ones on the mosaic? LOL

@Bobby Perhaps you could take a photo of our space and have someone photoshop the tile for you. That way you could get a feel for the look without actually purchasing the tile.

• Bobby

This is bathroom for my 13yr old girl so far. This tub tile surround is gorg, looks like fabric & matching floor tile looks like grass cloth! I did gold grout but not on wall tile. Frameless half glass enclosure and gold fixtures. Small chandelier. Duh!

• tartanmeup

I'm sorry to hear of that bad designer experience, Bobby, They obviously were the wrong match! Some designers don't seem to understand practicality. You need one who has pets and lives in the "real" world. :) Some designers here are generous with mockups. I worked with one online for my kitchen and the renditions were so helpful! Just a thought. Paying someone a few hundred bucks for a good mockup would be a good investment for me.

Bobby thanked tartanmeup
  • ilikefriday

Bobby that tile is interesting and it does look like fabric. I like it! Can you share where you found it?

Bobby thanked ilikefriday
  • tartanmeup

That floral tile design is gorgeous, Bobby! I've seen similar on Pinterest when looking at Bisazza mosaics. This was not done by the same people who did your black mosaics, was it?

Bobby thanked tartanmeup
  • Rower 76

@Bobby You do you! Everyone always has an opinion and you should do what you like! I'm also designing a master bath for our new build with a black vanity, brushed gold hardware and marble. I like the glam wow factor. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they don't have to live in my house.

Bobby thanked Rower 76
  • Bobby

@ilikefriday ty! I got at my local mom $ pop tile store.. It’s expensive but not Only do I like supporting the smaller businesses but quality is top notch compared to big box stores. I have learned so much about tile, rectified, inkjet printing etc. Did you know that Marble, Stone look porcelain will have a certain number of diff prints per box?. So the cheaper ones only have a few prints so when it’s laid out you can see a lot of same prints and know it’s not the real thing but the better quality have up to 15 diff prints per box which would give you a more realistic look! Crazy s*** Btw That floral tile was discontinued and I cldnt get anymore cuz I wanted to do the whole back wall of the shower but we couldn’t find it anywhere else so I only had enough for the tub surround..

Flo Mangan

Yep. I try to educate all my clients on these details that aren’t well known by the public. Good for you learning and supporting good quality small businesses.

Bobby thanked Flo Mangan
  • ilikefriday

@Bobby I didn't know that until a month or so ago. I learned it right here on Houzz! I love that tile. And I think it is great that you are supporting small businesses.

Bobby thanked ilikefriday
  • Bobby

Not to mention small businesses usually take care of you and help you so much. I even have all their personal numbers and text them .. Big box stores aren’t as helpful unless you’re wearing something really slutty. ; )