Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emily_scott170

When to repot a young jade plant

Emily Scott
4 years ago

I bought a small indoor jade plant from walmart a few months ago. When I got it, it came in this small, brown plastic pot. Now, it has 11 small leaves on it, and the soil has some small roots coming up...not sure if that means it needs a bigger pot or more water? Since it is starting to move into winter, I’m watering it once every 2 or so weeks. One of the leaves towards the bottom had also started to look a little brown, then when I touched it, it flaked off of the plant. Again, should I water it more? It’s constantly in direct sunlight by my two windows, so no lack of sunlight. As you can probably tell, I’m new to owning plants. I have read lots about the soil and to keep the plant in smaller pots, since the plant has roots at the top, but should I repot it?

Comments (23)

• erinsean
    4 years ago

Google the name of the plant and you will find what you need. By my guessing, yes you need to put it in a bigger pot. Not sure of the amount of water though...Google will help you. If you are in a plant nursery, you might ask them also.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

Emily

As Karen said, it is not jade = Crassula ovata. It is, most likely, either one of 2 she mentioned. These plants are, in general, relatively fast growers. They also need lots of light to stay as compact as possible. IMO, your plant needs more light. Leaves seem to be growing quite far apart, and color looks too light (but could be the photo!)

It is best to repot succulents when they are actively growing, young or mature. That said, they could be repoted any time if neccessary.

If you water less (which is OK), plant should be kept in cooler temps. How warm is it where it is?

You could consider giving it lots of light and wait until Spring. Plant may etiolate, and you can decapitate it then. And repot at the same time.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Succulents get out of control with too much repotting, so be careful. That one will benefit from repotting using succulent/cactus soil in a clay pot just an inch or so larger. I did have an actual jade plant I started by breaking off a small branch of a discarded plant. Within a couple of years it was at least two feet tall and as wide thanks to SoCal weather and repotting. Now I keep succulents pot bound as long as possible.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

There are many scculents that stay small regardless how much you repot, because they are just small. Many grow very slowly, others faster. Plants that grow naturally big will want to grow big. Keeping them potbound will restrict growth to some degree, but that may not be best for the plant. I am also guilty of keeping many in smaller pots than they should be, but I know I am not doing them a favour. One of the reasons is lack of space, another (perhaps main reason) is I just do not get around to do it when I should. Eventually, plants may start toppling over and I just have to... Best way to keep plants small is using bonsai techniques, which is frequent repotting and prunning the roots. With pruned roots, plant is kepr in smaller pot without roots suffering by being restricted.

Using S&C soil alone may not be enough, because it is often not as fast draining as advertised. PPl using it add lots of perlite (or pumice) to it to improve drainage, in 1:1 ratio. Others (including me) grow them in very inorganic substrates.

Newly purchased plants usually get repotted because of the soil, not so much the size (but that could be the reason).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

Be careful of watering too succulents are best left to dry out between waterings or they rot . Make sure the pot hs drainage holes and leave it in the pot you have for now.

• gardenfanatic2003
    4 years ago

My only concern would be that in my experience Walmart plants that come in those little pots are in very water retentive soil. For that reason alone I would put it in different soil.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

I take your point GF2003, tho' I haven't experienced Walmart, sometimes the Home Depot I know uses some very water retentive mix. Sometimes it's a particularly spongy kind, which makes me need to repot it ASAP, as I DO know what you mean.

I'd change that soil if you haven't already. I'd get some Cactus & Succulent mix (C&S) & Perlite, mixing them in equal parts. That'll give that plant more appropriate drainage, allowing decent watering while minimizing the risk of rot.

• Anne Duke
    4 years ago

Now that you mention it, HD must use a strange mix. Pretty much everything I buy from the falters and dies. I should keep receipts.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

I'm sorry to hear that Ann, pls do keep those receipts as I believe HD has a 1 yr. refund policy. I believe I've brought back dead plants w/ receipt (or bar code on the actual pot) for a refund. They don't advertise it, but had that policy here. See if yours does, at least it's worth asking.

Also, repot all plants bought from them ASAP & see if you get better results, hope so.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

I would see if you could get a slightly larger clay pot, or find a tray like planter, or bonsai type planter with more width than depth, and get some buddies for it, definitely avoid a super peaty potting mix. I have had trouble, personally, with those teensy tiny starter pots as it can be difficult to gauge watering needs, not to mention the fact that they tend to topple at the drop of a hat, not good for a fragile or brittle plant. Definitely is not a jade, based on any jades I’ve seen. Avoid those grafted cacti everyone seems to sell, the two tone ones, or the ones they have hot glue gunned flowers to.

https://www.joyusgarden.com/secret-weapon-planting-cactus-dish-garden/

• J Williams
    4 years ago

If you can find these, these are great for succulents, didn’t know they were for bulbs lol.

https://www.arizonapottery.com/item.asp?iid=8418

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

Emily

Keep it simple...:)

Repotting newly purchased plants is agood idea since they are typically grown in a peat or very peatty mix. It is very inexpensive for growers, and they grow all plants in it. It is easy to maintain for the grower - they usually have either sprinkler system for regular watering, or water plants regularly with a hose.

It is more difficult to maintain for home grower to be moist when needed, and not to either overwater or let it dry up completely.

Another good reason to repot is to have a chance to check the plant: see the root system, see if there are any bugs or diseases, and/or replacing peat with well draining mix.

Last reason is size of pot, that may or may not be an issue.

Pease do not get a large pot for such young plant. Large pot will hold lots of soil. Lots of soil takes much longer to dry up. Keeping succulent in wet soil for extended period of time may cause rotting.

'Community' pots may look great, but one should use plants with similar needs in it. It could be bit more difficult for a begginer to maintain.

If you use well draining mix, pot can be larger since it will drain fst of any excess water. It may not look great - small plant in large pot - but that is up to your liking. Very simle and easy-to-make mix is to use sifted perlite (or pumice) and mix it in 1:1 ratio with Cactus & Succulent soil. Using just a bit of perlite doesn't really help. It should look like this:

There are other mixes that are great for succulent, you need to make them yourself. They can be purchased too, but it is more expensive (but could be suitable if one has only very few succulents).

I suggested that your plant will likely grow fast. It is better to repot when it gets big for its pot. You could use bigger pot right now, but not oversized would be better. In the meantime, give it best possible growing condition. If grown in low light, it will likely etiolate. At that point, you need to decapitate-behead it and re-root. If interested, look thru

THIS THREAD

to see many photos ad get tips about beheading succulents.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Here is a very simple plant combo, a Haworthia and some jube jube like trailer, these two have been working well together and the length of the pot has meant that they can spread around, the Haworthia keeps producing offsets. Neither one are going to get massive any day soon, as far as I can tell.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

J Williams

Which Haworthia is it? I can't tell from photo, need better pic of it. It looks almost as aloe or hybrid of aloe+haw; but pls. you tell me. TIA

• J Williams
    4 years ago

No idea. Got a bunch of these succulents bare root/as cuttings, they seemed compatible and as they were so small, made no sense to me to pot each one up separately.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

If it is not Haworthia, then I will stand corrected.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

It is aloe, one of 'white' hybrids. There are few, White Fox, White Beauty, White Lightning and few more. If you want to know exactly which one, compare to photos...

Did it bloom yet?

• J Williams
    4 years ago

Nope. I suppose I should be feeding it. It is really coming along now, it was teeny tiny when I first got it.

• J Williams
    4 years ago

And one of my corner stores has started selling a lot of plants, it is a good thing I haven’t been going by there too often as I would be in serious serious trouble.

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    4 years ago

Yeah, the only way for me not to buy something new is to avoid the stores, lol.

I do not really feed plants (succulents get fert quite seldom in my house), but they bloom when mature enough. I have few different aloes that now bloom non stop, 1 or more bloom stalks at the time.

• Kara 9b SF Bay Area CA
    4 years ago

Emily just so you know:). I think you’ve got some sort of cultivar of Sedum adoplhi. If not Sedum adolphi than some other Sedum or Sedum hybrid. Sedums need tons of light.

• Freddy Zues
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We water our succulents regularly. though they are probably the most drought-tolerant plants on the planet, we don't hold back watering. Over time, nutrients within soil tend to deplete (nutrients wash away with the water), so the soil becomes weaker and weaker.

Changin soil, or reporting the plant is a good practice to keep the plant fresh, and rich with nutrients.

If you are not sure about the soil or pot, just repot it. Don't get confused.

You can see evidence of my comment on the fertilization and soil section of this article.

My jade is healthy because I follow the practice mentioned in the article (given in the link). I change soil once a while.

Source: https://crassulacare.com/