Software
Houzz Logo Print
katyajini

Annie Laurie Mcdowel

6 years ago

This rose is just gorgeous now that I am looking at more and more pictures of it. There are so many things about it that seem wonderful. After seeing picts posted by Lisa today I really think I want to grow it!


If you have pictures of it please share. And please share how it is doing for you? The blooming, the re-blooming, any shade tolerance, the fragrance, the vigor...anything..


And if anyone could please lead me to how I might get one (or more) Annie plant?

Thanks!

Comments (24)

  • 6 years ago

    ALM is just wonderful here. She is beautiful every day. She is completely healthy and always in bloom. ALM is much better than any of the photos. I have two, because Burling sent me an extra because hers were so small. She is a slow starter because she is blooming her heart out every minute. I have one in semi shade and one in full sun and both seem happy. I think the Wisc guy is the only source right now. I am finding her beautiful as Fall is hitting her and the unopened buds are purple.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    I have often thought I'd love to try Annie Laurie MacDowell, though I'm not sure how well she'd do in a cold climate (it seems like most of the people who grow her are in zone 8 or so, and I'm in zone 6). One question (and sorry if this has been addressed here before), I'm just curious, why is she so hard to come by in the US? To my knowledge, Burlington is the only reliable source, and even so, it seems Burling often doesn't have them in stock and has a waiting list. Is this rose particularly hard to propagate? It just sounds like it has so many wonderful qualities, I'm surprised all the major high quality own-root rose growers don't offer it. Then again, I do find it strange that all of Kim Rupert's beautiful roses are not easier to come by (I grow and love Lauren, and I'm excited to be getting Carlin's Rhythm, finally back in stock at Rogue Valley, this spring).

    katyajini thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Frances -- The difficulty seems to be propagating. And that's a pity, because it is a wonderfully lovely rose, in habit, bloom, and disease-resistance.

    katyajini thanked jerijen
  • 6 years ago

    Annie was gorgeous but not too happy with my winters. I've thought about trying again but now I'm cutting back anyway.


    katyajini thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the beautiful pictures which keep me yearning even more. It is such a special rose. I just heard the Wisc guy does not want to do it anymore (graft). Simply not available now! If you kind folks hear anything I would love to know.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The issue is, the rose performs better budded than own root, particularly in more extreme (hot, cold, dry, etc.) conditions. It isn't one which would sell equally across the country because it likely wouldn't be as cold hardy as many other climbers, nor is it one which a "major" producer could tie into already existing advertising to reduce their cost of marketing it. So, it requires custom budding and that is the rub. Find someone who is able and willing to bud it to a virus free suitable stock and bud wood will be made available. Steve Singer did a wonderful service of producing it and should he desire doing it further, I would love to provide all he needed. Or, anyone else growing it is free to supply it if they can and wish to. That's the rub. Someone able and willing to bud it.

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I'm sure you are right, Kim, that budded ALMs are great, but I think you are underestimating your ALM's own root capabilities. You are too modest. It is slow, I know, but a lot of rose lovers can handle that. I think RP or Burling or Greenmantle should reconsider. RVRs, if Scott gets propagation going may be a possibility too. This is all so frustrating that such a wonderful treasure is so unavailable. I think the sellers should charge double prices for this rose if it is too difficult compared to other easy to root roses. Burling was apologetic more than once over small roses she sent me that turned out great, they were just slow. Obviously, ALM is a unique treasure.

    I wonder about Peter Schneider propagating her, but he is in Ohio and it may be too cold.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    Sorry to say, but ALM was too cold sensitive for me in my zone 7a garden (but acts more like 6b) in Middle Tn--even in a protected spot. Beautiful, generous and disease free I'd grow it in a heart beat if I were a hair warmer.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    That is so interesting because I remember straw Chicago growing it for a number of seasons in her zone 5 Chicago Garden. It did not become the large climber but it was a very free flowering shrub. I found it very easy to root. I was sent numerous cuttings from a friend and they all took. Thank you for the information about budding. That is my next project. I would love to see Annie Laurie McDowell grown as a standard.!

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks, Sheila. All I can tell you is Burling decided not to offer it for several reasons...she never had material to propagate because she had an own root plant she pulled cuttings from as the required growth appeared so she could never get any decent gauge nor quantities from it. She wouldn't bud it, saying she should grow it the way she offered it. Not a judgement, simply passing along her statements. She stated too many customers complained it was too slow growing for them. Add it all up and she decided not to offer it anymore. Her nursery, her decision. I agree, there are and have been MANY roses offered own root which were not only glacially slow but down right inappropriate own root. And, yes, it DOES root very easily and when grown where it's happy, it grows well own root, but you have to give it warmth (not bellows of Hades heat) and it does require decent soil and regular water. Santa Barbara appears perfect for it own root. Kippy's own root plant is growing extremely well, even after having been dug up during the heat and transplanted. The last several batches of bud wood came from her own root plant and were canes requiring removal to allow access around the plant. Hers was larger than my budded one trapped in its fifteen gallon can!

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    I bet if I were to run a nursery, those complaining customers would be very hard to tolerate. Burling should have been like the Seinfeld "soup Nazi". No ALM for you! That would only work if you knew your customers. You could have a secret list of the complainers and only send them easy plants. Burling is so lovely, she would never be able to do that. She is too kind.

    At least, ALM roots easily. That is great to hear, Kim.

    katyajini thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 6 years ago

    I am happy to grow an own root Annie. No problem. When and if a grafted one is possible I will get it. I was wanting to place Annie on a tall entryway arch with such lush draping foliage and flowers + fragrance! maybe that might not happen.


    Maybe someone can tell me where I can get a rooted cutting since it roots easily? If Straw can grow it, I probably will be able to as well.

  • 6 years ago

    I suspect the reason Straw and Vapor can pull ALM through and I couldn't in at least three tries (including some plant material from the most impeccable source for ALM) is that they would have consistent snow cover. If you also have good snow cover and are a zone warmer than I am, then you might be able to overwinter it in a protected sunny south side of your yard. If subk3 has trouble in zone 7 Tennessee, though, you're a longshot even in the relatively warm parts of NYC.

    Not to say don't try it Katyajini, but at the very least I wouldn't expect it to climb where you are if you get survival. If Kim says it's better grafted than own root, you might be wise to pursue purchasing it from Steve Singer rather than trying it from cuttings. Own root is usually my choice in a cold climate so that the original rose can still return if it dies down beyond the graft point, but if the graft provides extra power to help the rose survive the winter that might be a deciding point in that direction for ALM.

    Cynthia

    katyajini thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • 6 years ago

    Cynthia, I don't want to leave anyone with the wrong impression. I am in a Zone 6B pocket in an otherwise 6A area and my Annie is still a small little cutting but I just started this summer. So I don't have any experience with her going through a winter yet. I also don't really expect her to climb much I just wanted to get to 5 feet tall so she can lays over my metal fence in my front yard.! :-) and I only wish that we had snow cover. We have pitiful snow cover unfortunately just a lot of winter rain which is why I suspect I get so much dye back on various roses. The Dread freeze-thaw.. One has to get north of here only an hour to get consistent snow cover and it's nothing like what they get further north in the state. Just didn't want anyone to think that I'm overwintering it yet. Also, it did not become a climber for straw in her Zone but I do recall her mentioning that it did get snow cover so that is probably correct for her.:-)

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for the clarification Vap! Now I don't feel quite so incompetent a rose parent. I'm all in favor of hope especially when something as lovely as ALM is concerned but hope balanced with reality checks is a good plan in cold zones.
    Cynthia

  • 6 years ago

    Cynthia, Vap, I dont get much snow either. Actually very little snow. Occasionally wild snow storms and then freeze thaw. Not good at all. I am willing to try this rose though. Lets see what happens. I had fully expected it to climb and see roses drape down from up above and smell a beautiful perfume. Huh! At the very least I will have a lesson in how tender roses work in my garden. And maybe it will grow a little and give me a shrub??? So thanks help me stay aware of reality. I always appreciate that!

  • 6 years ago

    katyajini, I had to prune a long branch off my ALM today so that the bush will fit into my 60 gal tote for the winter protection. I get some nice cuttings from this branch. If you wish to root ALM yourself, I can send you some to try for postage. I cannot message you because you don't have the message option on.

    katyajini thanked KarenPA_6b
  • 6 years ago

    Go for it, Katya! ;D

    katyajini thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    Yes! Vap may I know your protocol? You are very good at this! I need to get sterile soil and a rooting hormone?

  • 6 years ago

    I think I can do this!

  • 6 years ago

    Good! That means you should also be able to root some stock and potentially bud your own!

    katyajini thanked roseseek
  • 6 years ago

    Bud my own???? Really, roseseek. Lets see how the rooting goes! I just hope the cuttings get here without freezing and turning to mush. We are having very cold weather!