marilyn_sue

Are You Serving Cranberries for Thanksgiving?

Marilyn_Sue
last year

Yes, we will have cranberries in some form. They are in my fridge, how about you, will you have cranberries on your Thanksgiving table? Not all like them but some do.

Sue

• lisa_fla
    last year

Definitely! I freeze bags as well to enough throughout the year. I’m tempted to start adding them to my smoothies. I also make sugared cranberries for snacking on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I made a dip with them last year too that went over well.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    last year

Lisa_fla, would you share your dip recipe?

Marilyn_Sue thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Thanksgiving Prep - What Are you Working On?

Thanks judyg. Great name place ideas on etsy. I use business card paper (if you use two cards and don't tear the perforation, they fold nicely into a tent). Or, I use one card and put a hole punch in the corner to feed the ribbon through. Easy clipart program to add a design on the card, then a pretty font for the names and they turn out quite nicely (and very inexpensive). One year instead of names, each plate had a mini picture frame in front of the plate with their picture, so instead of finding their name, they looked for their face. The frame had a Christmas theme and took their picture home with them.

Do you have a "Kids Table" at your Thanksgiving meal?

To enlarge our table so that everyone could fellowship together, my Dad put a 4x 8 foot sheet of 3/4" plywood on top of the two "mid century modern" blonde wood card tables he had clamped together for our normal dining table. My Mom was a big canasta player (remember the movie Help) so the tables were un-clamped during the week for Canasta and later Bridge. He made special brackets to hold the sanded plywood sheet on the garage wall between holidays. We continued the tradition with our four children and 10 grandchildren and had brackets in the garage. A 120" long table cloth covers the plywood and the four foot width means loads of space for food. The wide overhang means no one has to straddle a table leg and with small chairs (folding chairs) you can get three people at each end and up to eight on each side to seat 22! Narrow dining room? Use a door instead of plywood. Be sure to protect your dining room table with a blanket or quilted cloth before putting the plywood or door on. Wishing all a Happy Thanksgiving!

THANKSGIVING POLL: Turkey or Ham?

Wonderful! We spent the day with family, had a delicious meal, watched the Cowboys beat the Raiders and went home! No dishes and no left over turkey for days, and days, and days........... :)

Did you keep any of your parent's kitchen gear?

I was 20 when my father passed. That was in 1982. He was the head chef of a very fine French restaurant in Manhattan. The was a case full of knives/tools. I have some of them. There is something so special about holding (and using) something that a person you love held in their hands too. My mother (90) would bake. I have some of her pots and pans. (My sister must have those Pyrex bowls) My Mom has a sad looking aluminum pan that she uses all the time. I remember her using it for as long as I remember. My younger daughter has had me promise that one day she can have it. I love that! I love her and my mom. I’m very sentimental. I wouldn’t these types of things for anything. Oh! I almost forgot to mention, recipes written out by hand in beautiful cursive! Beautiful.
  • hounds_x_two
    last year

Absolutely! Cranberries are essential. I make the raw cranberry/orange relish as well as a cooked sauce.

Marilyn_Sue thanked hounds_x_two
  • blfenton
    last year

cloud swift - thank-you. That looks really good, especially with orange juice with the cranberries. I've got it marked.

Marilyn_Sue thanked blfenton
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year
    last modified: last year

Chloebud, I will try that recipe, thank you. Plus your table is gorgeous.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    last year

Most definitely! Cranberry is one of those things that I hated as a child and now I love it. I try to always keep Cranberry juice in the fridge. My mother in law used to make a wonderful Cranberry dish. Unfortunately I lost her recipe along with all of my recipe books and collections. I might try asking some of the other family members if they happen to have it. I kind of doubt it though.

We are having our garden club Thanksgiving luncheon this Thursday. I have a local Cafe do a full Thanksgiving meal for us. They do a fantastic job. She cooks 3 to 4 whole turkeys and dressing and sweet potatoes and fresh green beans and Cranberry sauce and fresh baked rolls. A delicious gravy. It is a great meal. The ladies just love it. I am looking forward to Thursday.

Marilyn_Sue thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    last year

Omg I found my mother in laws recipe! Here! I thought I had posted it a few years back. I did a search and finally found it.

Whole berry cranberry sauce

1 cup sugar or splenda
    1cup water
    1 12oz bag frozen or fresh cranberries

Mix sugar, water, and cranberries in a sauce pan. Stir well and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Cool completely at room temp then refrig.
    Makes 2 ü cups

Apple salad with cranberries
    2 cups of the above whole berry cranberry sauce
    1 celery stalk finely chopped
    1Granny Smith apple diced finely with peel on
    ý cup walnuts chopped or other nuts
    ** optional 1/8 tsp ground cloves and chopped pineapple chunks

In a bowl mix cranberry sauce, celery, and apple. Cover and refrigerate.
    Stir in nuts just before serving.
    Makes 6 servings.
    She always used fresh cranberries in hers

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

"Has anyone here made Susan Stamberg's (from NPR) cranberry sauce recipe? It sounds interesting, but I have never made it."

The Recipe's Origins

"As Susan Stamberg has noted, her mother-in-law got the recipe from a 1959 New York Times clipping of Craig Claiborne's recipe for cranberry relish. In 1993, Claiborne told Stamberg: "Susan, I am simply delighted. We have gotten more mileage, you and I, out of that recipe than almost anything I've printed."

I make it. Maybe the only one on the planet but we love it. I make three cranberry sauce/relish now. Small half batches.

Last year I made another full batch of the MIL sauce day after. Excellent on the Friday biscuit sliders. it was the first time I've ever bought sour cream. Now on the holiday grocery list.

Returning from road trip through NovaScotia, Atlantic Canada, we stopped, as we always do, both directions at Masstown market. Purchased a ten pound sack. I nearly missed them as the heap looked like a pile of birdseed. (have never seen cranberries sold that way). Same with 20 pound bags of beets and giant bags of greens. (bulk buying for canning for the winter I suppose).

I'll make a concentrated juice with ginger and lemon, no sugar, in ice cube form to add to seltzer and my water bottle. I've never had cranberries in the freezer all winter so I'm excited about that. (usually just an extra tiny bag for xmas-new years)

My mother always made a jello salad we all loved but they changed the family diet in the late 60's to no processed/commercially canned food or unnecessary added sugars/dyes or salt well before I was a teen.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • lindac92
    last year

I love cranberries....always have home made sauce ( usually put through the turk's cap so it's more like the stuff from the can) plus Carnberry Jezebel.....and often this cranberry salsa with the appetisers and the rest brought to the table.

Cranberry salsa

1 12 oz package cranberries

chopped fine

1 8 oz can crushed pineapple with juice

1/3 cup cilantro…chopped

1 seeded jalapeno pepper and chopped fine

¼ c. onion chopped

¼ cup green pepper chopped

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar ( or less)
    Mix and refrigerate for at least an hour....check the heat of your jalapeno before you add the whole thing...if it's a large hot pepper it may be too much.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lindac92
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    last year

Thank you, Sleevendog, I think I'll try the recipe.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    last year
    last modified: last year

Another cooked cranberry sauce lover here. I make mine with whole berries and finely chopped oranges - all organic, and I have been known to eat it by the cupful all by itself.

I also stock up and keep several bags in the freezer to use throughout the year.

Marilyn_Sue thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • chloebud
    last year

Linda, the salsa sounds good. :-)

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • bragu_DSM 5
    last year
    last modified: last year

SWMBO likes the jellied carp from a tin ... it's okay, but it tastes 'tinny/metallic' to me. I like to make my own fresh. So we have both. And they both get 'et.

Marilyn_Sue thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • lisa_fla
    last year

CRANBERRY DIP

1 (12 oz) bag of fresh cranberries

1 cup white sugar

1 cup apricot jam

1 cup chopped pecans

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Combine cranberries with sugar in a 2 quart baking dish with a lid, stirring well to coat all of the cranberries. Bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 30 minutes, until the cranberries pop and release their liquid.

3. Remove from oven, and stir in the apricot jam and pecans, Refrigerate overnight to blend the flavors. To serve, allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature and pour dip over the block of cream cheese on a serving dish. serve with buttery round crackers or small pretzels.

*I'm pretty sure I spread the cream cheese out in a pyrex or pie plate instead of pouring it over a block.

While I'm at it-these sugared cranberries look real pretty and taste great!

SUGARED CRANBERRIES

2 cups granulated sugar

2 cups water

2 cups fresh cranberries

1/4-/1/2 cup superfine sugar

Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat (do not boil).

Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add cranberries, rolling to coat.

Spread cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry. Store in an airtight container in a cool place up to a week.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • chipotle
    last year

lindac92, what is cranberry jezebel?

Marilyn_Sue thanked chipotle
  • lisa_fla
    last year

Here is the salad dressing I made Last Thanksgiving

CRANBERRY BALSAMIC SALAD DRESSING

1/4 cup cranberry sauce

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a jar or blender and whisk ,shake, or blend to combine

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

Jezebel usually has mustard, horseradish, brown sugar? And pineapple. I've not come across any two recipes alike. (as far as ingredient amounts). But it is a sauce on heat. Not a fresh ground cranberry sauce. Why I make three cranberry relish now. I think GardenWeb has a classic recipe passed on over the years. Too sweet for us so I cut down the sugar. (coconut palm sugar I use) it is brown and nutty.

No pineapple for me but close to a jezebel. I do make small batch. Barely a cup of each at the same time a few days in advance. My family/friends take just a scant tbsp of each. It is a relish. Always loved, but always leftovers even in such a small quantity.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    last year

That looks good Lisa. I do similar but add some pomegranate seed after blending.

• chipotle
    last year

sleevendog, thanks. I found two versions online. I think I'll try the one without pineapple and cut back a bit on the sugars.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chipotle
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    last year

Oh Lisa, thanks so much. Will definitely be making it this year! Yummm!!! Thanks again!

Edie

Marilyn_Sue thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • chloebud
    last year

Lisa, that cranberry/balsamic dressing sounds nice...thanks!

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • ci_lantro
    last year

Yes, even though I am the only one who eats them. I like the jellied sauce out of a can best. Also, Ina Garten's Wild Rice Salad (dried cranberries) is very good. And, yes, it's good year round. I also like dried cranberries in a mixed lettuce salad & in chicken salad (with walnuts.)

Marilyn_Sue thanked ci_lantro
  • marymd7
    last year

I love cranberries and use them in all sorts of things, both fresh and dried. As for Thanksgiving, while I've had some very good cranberry sauces, the fact is that I like plain old cranberry sauce - cranberries, water and sugar - the best. A friend always brings a very nice cranberry-orange sauce to Thanksgiving at my house, but, if one year she wasn't able to, I'd go back to the plain old stuff made Thanksgiving morning.

Marilyn_Sue thanked marymd7
  • cynic
    last year

Since drinking cranberry juice regularly, cranberries aren't the treat they once were. Only about 20 years ago or so that I really started liking cranberries.

Marilyn_Sue thanked cynic
  • annie1992
    last year

Oh definitely. My girls require Ocean Spray jellied, the canned stuff. I like LindaC's cranberry jezebel and so does Elery, so we have both.

Cranberry Jezebel (LindaC)

12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 c. water
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1/2 c brown sugar

3 Tbls fresh horseradish

1 tbls dijon mustard

Wash and pick over the berries, put water and sugars in sauce pan( large
    enough to prevent boil over) and bring to a boil, add berries and return to
    a boil, cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes from the time it returns to a
    boil, stirring occasionally. Cool to luke warm and add fresh (fresh is
    hotter!) horseradish and Dijon mustard, stir, refrigerate and enjoy!

Now, I will admit to using jarred horseradish instead of fresh, but it's still really good.

I do eat cranberry sauce year round, I usually buy a big bag of cranberries when they are in season and can cranberry sauce, just like I would jelly.

Annie

Marilyn_Sue thanked annie1992
  • l pinkmountain
    last year
    last modified: last year

I always have a difficult time deciding how to serve them because I like cranberries so much. I make a cranberry cherry cobbler with both fruits fresh and dried. Got the recipe one year from Cooking Light. I love it and used to serve it along with pumpkin pie to my friends and family, but my newish husband now always wants pumpkin cheesecake for dessert so we do the cranberry relish as a side.

Marilyn_Sue thanked l pinkmountain
  • chipotle
    last year
    last modified: last year

Annie, that's the version I'm planning to try with a little less sugar. May sub some fresh squeezed orange juice for the water.

Costco has a 32 oz. bag of cranberries for $2.99.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chipotle
  • chloebud
    last year

Orange juice is the only liquid I use with this version from Wms. Sonoma.

Wms. Sonoma's Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce

Note: Can be made several days ahead. Cover and store in fridge. Best served at room temp.

12 oz. fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)

Juice and zest from 1 large orange

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces

1 1/4 cups sugar

Pinch of salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Place cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and apples in medium saucepan. In small bowl mix sugar, salt, cinnamon and cloves and add to cranberry mixture. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover partially. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, apples are tender and berries have burst, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to bowl and let cool before serving.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud

i also love them but won't be having them fir thanksgivivng

Marilyn_Sue thanked HU-352499387
  • sheilajoyce_gw

We all like the Ocean Spray recipe on the package--one sack of Ocean Spray cranberries, one navel orange including the skin, 3/4 to 1 c sugar. Run all of it through the processor with the sharp blade the day before, refrigerate. Voila.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sheilajoyce_gw
  • Sherry

We like the Ocean Spray whole berry one with NO orange. I bag, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water. cook until quits popping. Refrigerate. Keeps for 3 or 4 months.

Not Thanksgiving without fresh cranberry sauce.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Sherry
  • Elmer J Fudd

I'm not sure how a 10 month old thread got pinged up but so be it.

Add 1 tablespoon of finely grated ginger root (use a microplane) to the pot to cook with the cranberries. You'll be glad you did.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Debby

My husband is the only person who likes them. I'll have them, but just for him. We are doing a turkey and ham dinner for Thanksgiving. It's this weekend in Canada. BUT, we are doing it responsibly: It'll be 19C outside. We have a firepit and lots of lawn chairs and plenty of room for social distancing. I am putting a ham in the smoker and a turkey in my turkey roaster. I'll be able to sit outside with the family while everything is cooking until I have to do the potatoes and veggies. We are all Covid careful as we all work with the public and I have two bad asthmatic kids who are extremely careful. I think we'll be okay as long as we sit outside. If the weather decides to take a turn for the worse by the time the weekend comes, I'll still cook dinner, but have the kids come to take what they can eat and bring it home with them. One way or another, we are doing this.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Debby
  • nekotish

I live in an agricultural area where cranberries are a huge crop. I make basically the Ocean Spray recipe, but with half the sugar + the zest and juice of an orange - the juice topped with water to make up the liquid called for in the recipe.

Marilyn_Sue thanked nekotish
  • donna_loomis

It will be just the two of us, but yes, we'll have cranberries. Linda C's Cranberry Jezebel (for me) and "regular" for DH.

Marilyn_Sue thanked donna_loomis
  • Elmer J Fudd

nekotish, white sugar and what the sweetness of orange juice comes from are both "sugar".

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • KatieC

We have to have cranberry sauce on the table even though hardly anyone eats more than a spoonful. I usually make my sis's cranberry chutney. Really good on sandwich with leftover turkey and some cream cheese.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cranberry Chutney

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method

-------- ------------ --------------------------------

1 c chopped Granny Smith apple

1 c raisins

1 c chopped onion

1 c sugar

1 c vinegar

3/4 c chopped celery

3/4 c water

2 tsp cinnamon

1 1/2 tsp ginger

1/4 tsp cloves

1 bag fresh cranberries -- (12 oz.)

Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered 30 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring occasionally. To can, Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Makes 4 half-pints.

Marilyn_Sue thanked KatieC
  • donna_loomis

Yes, Elmer, we know. Nekotish merely shared her substitution for half of the refined sugar in the dish. I'm sure she knows that oranges are sweet. But while making up for half the sugar, they also add a bright flavor to the cranberries.

Marilyn_Sue thanked donna_loomis
  • Elmer J Fudd

donna, I've encountered many people who think that sweetening food with fruit juice instead of sugar itself is something different. Some commercial products are sweetened with apple juice or white grape juice, intentionally misleading customers (who don't know better) into thinking that produces a product that's different from one sweetened with sugar.

So, I don't think it's as widely known as you suggest. Maybe.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Cherryfizz

Cranberry sauce is on our table for almost every dinner so yes we will be having it for our Thanksgiving dinner next week. We love cranberries!

Marilyn_Sue thanked Cherryfizz
  • Marilyn_Sue

Well, this is an old thread! If I can get some this year yes.

Sue

• arcy_gw

Yep, two kinds relish and compote. Since the newlyweds go to her folks this year probably won't do my usual double batches.

Marilyn_Sue thanked arcy_gw
  • seagrass_gw Somewhere

Only the 2 of us this year. Probably turkey thighs and Ocean Spray whole cranberry sauce - gussied up Stove Top stuffing mix and frozen green beans microwaved. Store bought pumpkin pie and canned whipped cream. Fitting for 2020, huh? I have no Holiday mojo. I want this mad year to end.

Since we've been retired in a remote place, and our circle of friends and family have dwindled, we have been going to a beautiful old 1800's Inn in Yarmouth for Thanksgiving dinner, treating a single friend of ours with us. This will be our first time in 4 years missing it because we don't feel safe with indoor dining. It's already too cold in New England for porch/patio venues. Snow at Thanksgiving is not unusual.

Marilyn_Sue thanked seagrass_gw Somewhere
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Always - usually in the stuffing (with apples and sage),)or as relish with the turkey, (or both) but last year a cranberry walnut pie for dessert. That was so good, it will be a staple from now on.

Marilyn_Sue thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • tcufrog

My family would be upset if I didn't. I have my own special recipe that includes pomegranate.

Marilyn_Sue thanked tcufrog
  • jemdandy

Yes, we'll have cranberries or cranberry sauce, and I'll add jug of cranberry juice for sipping over the following days. Cranberries are like a state fruit in Wisconsin since it is a major producer of cranberries.

Marilyn_Sue thanked jemdandy
  • Nana H

Always. I make LindaC's Jezebel Cranberry sauce and Lori's Drenched Cranberry cake. In addition, I have to buy a can of the jellied stuff for dear SIL who has a discerning palate ; )

This year is going be so weird a small family group here at the lake and my Sister-in-law is hosting a small family group in her home. We will Zoom with each other.

Speaking of which, I'd better get at it T-Day is this weekend here in Canada and I am not nearly ready! Pies are made, dough for the buns made , working on the gravy , cheese sauce, stuffing and Loris cake.

• nekotish

Elmer, I didn't claim that orange juice is sugar free. However, the approximately 1/4 cup of orange juice has about 10 grams of sugar compared to the 1/2 cup of sugar that I eliminate (which is over 100 grams) and it is not refined sugar. I think that anyone who pays attention to nutrition or has been on a diet, knows that fruit contains sugar. As Donna mentioned, the main reason for the orange zest/juice is that we like the flavour that it adds. Happy Thanksgiving.

• artemis_ma

No idea what's up for Thanksgiving this year. I at least want some dark meat turkey, and savory sweet potato. And something made from fresh cranberries. But no idea if this will be a meal for one, or a few somehow.

• lassemista

One of my favorite snacks is a couple tablespoons chilled cranberry sauce stirred into plain yogurt. I cook my sauce with orange juice and zest, honey, and a cinnamon stick. I hadn't thought of grated fresh ginger, but it seems like a terrific idea! I'll try it in my next batch.