marilyn_sue

Are You Serving Cranberries for Thanksgiving?

Marilyn_Sue

Yes, we will have cranberries in some form. They are in my fridge, how about you, will you have cranberries on your Thanksgiving table? Not all like them but some do.

Sue

• Fun2BHere

I love cranberries, but no one else at our Thanksgiving does, so I'll probably skip them this year.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Fun2BHere
  • chloebud

Definitely cranberries. Been making the same cranberry sauce from Wms. Sonoma for years.

Cook's Illustrated has a great recipe for Cranberry Nut Bread. Also, Martha Stewart's Cranberry Upside-Down Cake is a delicious dessert. I took this photo some years ago not long after finding the recipe. This cake is so easy and always pretty.

Cranberry Upside-Down Cake

Sweetened whipped cream is perfect with this slightly spicy dessert. The topping is made by baking cranberries in a layer over sugar and spices in the bottom of the pan. As the cake bakes, the sugar caramelizes, forming a rich syrup.

8 T. butter, room temp.
    1 cup sugar, divided
    1/2 tsp. cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. allspice
    1 3/4 cups fresh cranberries
    1 egg, room temp.
    1 tsp. vanilla
    1 1/4 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 with rack in center (be sure to preheat for at least 20 minutes). Rub bottom and sides of a an 8-inch round cake pan with 2 T. of the butter.

In small bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup of the sugar with the cinnamon and allspice. Sprinkle mixture evenly over bottom of pan. Spread cranberries in a single layer on top.

With electric mixer, cream remaining 6 T. butter and remaining 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix until well combined. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients to butter mixture in three batches, alternating with the milk, until well combined.

Spoon batter over cranberries in pan and smooth top. Place pan on baking sheet; bake cake until toothpick in center comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 20-25 minutes. Run a knife around edge of cake several times; invert onto rimmed platter and tap bottom of pan firmly with fingertips. If any topping sticks to the pan, just transfer it back to the cake.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud

Thanksgiving Prep - What Are you Working On?

Thanks judyg. Great name place ideas on etsy. I use business card paper (if you use two cards and don't tear the perforation, they fold nicely into a tent). Or, I use one card and put a hole punch in the corner to feed the ribbon through. Easy clipart program to add a design on the card, then a pretty font for the names and they turn out quite nicely (and very inexpensive). One year instead of names, each plate had a mini picture frame in front of the plate with their picture, so instead of finding their name, they looked for their face. The frame had a Christmas theme and took their picture home with them.

Thanksgiving Dinner Outdoors?

I've only had Thanksgiving dinner outdoors at restaurants, where the food was served either on a buffet or by waiters on plates with pre-served portions. Normally the meal consists of several large dishes of hot food that can take up a lot of space and be awkward to pass around. For more than a few guests, buffet-style would probably work better than sit-down "family style", just as it does indoors.

POLL: Are you hosting Thanksgiving Dinner at your house?

I am hosting a very special Thanksgiving. My parents are both ill; my Father has cancer and my Mother has Alzheimers. I have moved them in with me. This summer my Dad was hospitalized 6 times and almost died in ICU. I live in the south and they are from the north so this will be the first Thanksgiving they will have with us and their grandchildren. We have a lot to thank God for...Dad's cancer is in remission and he is doing great, Mom has begun to adjust to the change in environment and my daughter is pregnant with our first grandchild and their first great grandchild! 8). God is so good! Oh yeah, dinner will be traditional turkey and the "fixins". Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!!

POLL: What Is Your Favorite Thanksgiving Dish?

The cocktails. Bubbles in the brunch hour, wine with the meal, Port with dessert, a thoughtfully crafted cocktail to fill in any room left in the belly when you are staring at the leftovers contemplating if you have room for one more bite of …. .
  • functionthenlook

Bifenton, my husband grew up on canned jelly cranberry sauce. So that is what he wants. My kids grew up on it due to their dad and that is all they want also. I did one year make the real stuff and it went over like a lead balloon. I personally don't like the stuff. So opening the can and sliding it on a pretty dish, easy peasy.

Marilyn_Sue thanked functionthenlook
  • Raye Smith

Only if the meal includes turkey and they most be fresh not from a can.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Raye Smith
  • Cloud Swift

blfenton, here it is. It came from the Good Housekeeping Cookbook copyright 1963 (which feels so long ago now)

Cranberry-orange-walnut bread

2 cups (8.8 oz) all-purpose flour (I used white whole wheat)
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    3/4 cup (5.25 oz) granulated sugar

1 egg
    1/3 cup orange juice
    1 tsp grated orange rind
    3 tbs white vinegar plus enough water to make 2/3 cup
    1/4 cup melted shortening

1 cup halved or coarsely chopped raw cranberries
    1 cup chopped walnuts (sometimes I use pecans)

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.

Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan.

Mix the dry ingredients (the recipe says sift, but I find it works fine to just mix them in the bowl).

Beat egg then add and mix all the wet ingredients.

Add wet to dry and stir until dry is moistened.

Add cranberries and nuts then pour into the pan.

Bake 60 to 70 min until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool for 10 minutes in pan, then remove to cooling rack.

The recipe says cool overnight before slicing, but we can't wait that long - had our first slices a few minutes after it was removed from the pan.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Cloud Swift

I find the aversion so many seem to have towards cranberries or cranberry sauce rather surprising. What's not to like with these sweet-tart little balls of juice? My only complaint is that that they are not available all year but that's when I resort to canned sauce or dried cranberries, if I've run out of frozen fresh berries.

btw, cranberries mix well with a lot of meats - not just turkey of chicken. They are great with pork or ham and beef tenderloins or steak with cranberry sauce (not the typical Xmas kind) is really quite spectacular!!

Marilyn_Sue thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • phyllis__mn

I love them, served any way. Some years I have made the cranberry salad from recipe from a KT person years ago. I do leave out the marshmallows, though.

Marilyn_Sue thanked phyllis__mn
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I am another year round cranberry lover. I serve them with poultry and pork. Truth be told, I eat cranberry sauce for dessert sometimes.

Marilyn_Sue thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Has anyone here made Susan Stamberg's (from NPR) cranberry sauce recipe? It sounds interesting, but I have never made it.

• ratherbesewing

We serve freshly made cranberry sauce and the jellied from the can! I love the canned stuff on a leftover turkey sandwich.

Marilyn_Sue thanked ratherbesewing
  • morz8

We'll have a fresh cranberry dish and the jelled from a can for those who prefer that. Truthfully, I'm fine with either.

I keep canned Ocean Spray here always, I have a BIL who would eat it with any entree, any meal. There is always a can or two on hand in their refrigerator - he likes it cold.

Marilyn_Sue thanked morz8
  • chloebud

"I am another year round cranberry lover."

Same with me, Zalco. I always buy plenty this time of year to keep in the freezer all year.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • CA Kate z9

We always have the Snappy Fruit Mold - made with cranberry sauce, as mentioned in other threads. We also frequently have a sauce made from fresh cranberries that DD makes.

I also may need to make Chloebud’s cranberry cake, which is beautiful.

Marilyn_Sue thanked CA Kate z9
  • Solsthumper

To me, cranberries are fine in condiments, cakes, sorbets. Anything, except turkey (the big bird can relax its periscopic vision on my watch, and happily gobble its way into a retirement home in Fla., for all I care).

Unfortunately, no one in my family — except my daughter and me — likes cranberry sauce. But that’s not going to stop me from making it again this year to serve alongside Cuban fare.

Sol

Marilyn_Sue thanked Solsthumper
  • plllog

I don't know if I'll bother making cranberry sauce (not that it's much of a bother), but I'm doing some kind of T'day tsimmis, and will put cranberries in that. I did just make cranberry barbecue sauce last week, and wish I could get away with barbecue style turkey. :) It would be awesome with cranberry bbq sauce. 'Course it tastes like bbq not so much cranberries, but they're a majority of the ingrediens. ;)

Marilyn_Sue thanked plllog
  • arcy_gw

We have cranberry relish and sauce. I make double batches and it won't make it through the weekend.

Marilyn_Sue thanked arcy_gw
  • chloebud

Maybe more for Christmas but cranberries can be nice decor, too. I have the cranberry vase fillers in this Pottery Barn photo. Though a little large, they're not bad. You can't beat using real cranberries for the same purpose.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Last week, I made a skillet chicken dinner using cranberry sauce. It just sounded good. But I didn't put enough liquid in it (the cranberry sauce went well beyond carmelized LOL) so I will try it again in the next couple of weeks. If it works that time I'll post a recipe. When I'm making T'giving dinner I always have cranberry sauce. My DIL, not so much. But when she makes it I'm not spending 3 days cooking and another day of dishes so I don't complain!

Marilyn_Sue thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • stacey_mb

Your cake looks delicious, Chloebud, and the presentation is lovely. Thank you for posting the recipe - it looks like a keeper!

Marilyn_Sue thanked stacey_mb
  • amylou321

Yes. I make a fresh cranberry goop. It has fresh cranberries, pears, apples, orange juice and zest,dried cranberries and dried sweet cherries and some suger. I am not a fan of cranberry in general but everyone loves it and requests it so i make it. I make it the day before so it can chill and set a little bit,

Marilyn_Sue thanked amylou321
  • jupidupi

I make cranberry sauce all year and serve it with chicken and duck. I always try to be the one making it for Thanksgiving -- because mine is the best :-) I use orange juice in place of water, a bit of the grated peel, a couple of cinnamon sticks, sub honey for part of the sugar, and at the end stir in some finely chopped nuts, whatever kind I have on hand. I stock my freezer with cranberries after the holidays, when they go on sale.

Marilyn_Sue thanked jupidupi
  • chloebud

stacey, you can see how easy it is to make when you read the recipe. The cake topping has kind of a jewel-like appearance. Very little effort for such a pretty dessert. :-)

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • lisa_fla

Definitely! I freeze bags as well to enough throughout the year. I’m tempted to start adding them to my smoothies. I also make sugared cranberries for snacking on Thanksgiving and Christmas. I made a dip with them last year too that went over well.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Lisa_fla, would you share your dip recipe?

Marilyn_Sue thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • hounds_x_two

Absolutely! Cranberries are essential. I make the raw cranberry/orange relish as well as a cooked sauce.

Marilyn_Sue thanked hounds_x_two
  • blfenton

cloud swift - thank-you. That looks really good, especially with orange juice with the cranberries. I've got it marked.

Marilyn_Sue thanked blfenton
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Chloebud, I will try that recipe, thank you. Plus your table is gorgeous.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Most definitely! Cranberry is one of those things that I hated as a child and now I love it. I try to always keep Cranberry juice in the fridge. My mother in law used to make a wonderful Cranberry dish. Unfortunately I lost her recipe along with all of my recipe books and collections. I might try asking some of the other family members if they happen to have it. I kind of doubt it though.

We are having our garden club Thanksgiving luncheon this Thursday. I have a local Cafe do a full Thanksgiving meal for us. They do a fantastic job. She cooks 3 to 4 whole turkeys and dressing and sweet potatoes and fresh green beans and Cranberry sauce and fresh baked rolls. A delicious gravy. It is a great meal. The ladies just love it. I am looking forward to Thursday.

Marilyn_Sue thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Omg I found my mother in laws recipe! Here! I thought I had posted it a few years back. I did a search and finally found it.

Whole berry cranberry sauce

1 cup sugar or splenda
    1cup water
    1 12oz bag frozen or fresh cranberries

Mix sugar, water, and cranberries in a sauce pan. Stir well and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 mins. Cool completely at room temp then refrig.
    Makes 2 ü cups

Apple salad with cranberries
    2 cups of the above whole berry cranberry sauce
    1 celery stalk finely chopped
    1Granny Smith apple diced finely with peel on
    ý cup walnuts chopped or other nuts
    ** optional 1/8 tsp ground cloves and chopped pineapple chunks

In a bowl mix cranberry sauce, celery, and apple. Cover and refrigerate.
    Stir in nuts just before serving.
    Makes 6 servings.
    She always used fresh cranberries in hers

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

"Has anyone here made Susan Stamberg's (from NPR) cranberry sauce recipe? It sounds interesting, but I have never made it."

The Recipe's Origins

"As Susan Stamberg has noted, her mother-in-law got the recipe from a 1959 New York Times clipping of Craig Claiborne's recipe for cranberry relish. In 1993, Claiborne told Stamberg: "Susan, I am simply delighted. We have gotten more mileage, you and I, out of that recipe than almost anything I've printed."

I make it. Maybe the only one on the planet but we love it. I make three cranberry sauce/relish now. Small half batches.

Last year I made another full batch of the MIL sauce day after. Excellent on the Friday biscuit sliders. it was the first time I've ever bought sour cream. Now on the holiday grocery list.

Returning from road trip through NovaScotia, Atlantic Canada, we stopped, as we always do, both directions at Masstown market. Purchased a ten pound sack. I nearly missed them as the heap looked like a pile of birdseed. (have never seen cranberries sold that way). Same with 20 pound bags of beets and giant bags of greens. (bulk buying for canning for the winter I suppose).

I'll make a concentrated juice with ginger and lemon, no sugar, in ice cube form to add to seltzer and my water bottle. I've never had cranberries in the freezer all winter so I'm excited about that. (usually just an extra tiny bag for xmas-new years)

My mother always made a jello salad we all loved but they changed the family diet in the late 60's to no processed/commercially canned food or unnecessary added sugars/dyes or salt well before I was a teen.

Marilyn_Sue thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • lindac92

I love cranberries....always have home made sauce ( usually put through the turk's cap so it's more like the stuff from the can) plus Carnberry Jezebel.....and often this cranberry salsa with the appetisers and the rest brought to the table.

Cranberry salsa

1 12 oz package cranberries

chopped fine

1 8 oz can crushed pineapple with juice

1/3 cup cilantro…chopped

1 seeded jalapeno pepper and chopped fine

¼ c. onion chopped

¼ cup green pepper chopped

1 tsp salt

2/3 cup sugar ( or less)
    Mix and refrigerate for at least an hour....check the heat of your jalapeno before you add the whole thing...if it's a large hot pepper it may be too much.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lindac92
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Thank you, Sleevendog, I think I'll try the recipe.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Another cooked cranberry sauce lover here. I make mine with whole berries and finely chopped oranges - all organic, and I have been known to eat it by the cupful all by itself.

I also stock up and keep several bags in the freezer to use throughout the year.

Marilyn_Sue thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • chloebud

Linda, the salsa sounds good. :-)

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • bragu_DSM 5

SWMBO likes the jellied carp from a tin ... it's okay, but it tastes 'tinny/metallic' to me. I like to make my own fresh. So we have both. And they both get 'et.

Marilyn_Sue thanked bragu_DSM 5
  • lisa_fla

CRANBERRY DIP

1 (12 oz) bag of fresh cranberries

1 cup white sugar

1 cup apricot jam

1 cup chopped pecans

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese

1. Preheat oven to 350.

2. Combine cranberries with sugar in a 2 quart baking dish with a lid, stirring well to coat all of the cranberries. Bake in the preheated oven, covered, for 30 minutes, until the cranberries pop and release their liquid.

3. Remove from oven, and stir in the apricot jam and pecans, Refrigerate overnight to blend the flavors. To serve, allow the cream cheese to come to room temperature and pour dip over the block of cream cheese on a serving dish. serve with buttery round crackers or small pretzels.

*I'm pretty sure I spread the cream cheese out in a pyrex or pie plate instead of pouring it over a block.

While I'm at it-these sugared cranberries look real pretty and taste great!

SUGARED CRANBERRIES

2 cups granulated sugar

2 cups water

2 cups fresh cranberries

1/4-/1/2 cup superfine sugar

Combine granulated sugar and water in a small saucepan over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to a simmer, remove from heat (do not boil).

Stir in cranberries; pour mixture into a bowl. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.

Drain cranberries in a colander. Place superfine sugar in a shallow dish. Add cranberries, rolling to coat.

Spread cranberries in a single layer on a baking sheet. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour or until dry. Store in an airtight container in a cool place up to a week.

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • chipotle

lindac92, what is cranberry jezebel?

Marilyn_Sue thanked chipotle
  • lisa_fla

Here is the salad dressing I made Last Thanksgiving

CRANBERRY BALSAMIC SALAD DRESSING

1/4 cup cranberry sauce

1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

1/4 cup olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a jar or blender and whisk ,shake, or blend to combine

Marilyn_Sue thanked lisa_fla
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

Jezebel usually has mustard, horseradish, brown sugar? And pineapple. I've not come across any two recipes alike. (as far as ingredient amounts). But it is a sauce on heat. Not a fresh ground cranberry sauce. Why I make three cranberry relish now. I think GardenWeb has a classic recipe passed on over the years. Too sweet for us so I cut down the sugar. (coconut palm sugar I use) it is brown and nutty.

No pineapple for me but close to a jezebel. I do make small batch. Barely a cup of each at the same time a few days in advance. My family/friends take just a scant tbsp of each. It is a relish. Always loved, but always leftovers even in such a small quantity.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

That looks good Lisa. I do similar but add some pomegranate seed after blending.

• chipotle

sleevendog, thanks. I found two versions online. I think I'll try the one without pineapple and cut back a bit on the sugars.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chipotle
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Oh Lisa, thanks so much. Will definitely be making it this year! Yummm!!! Thanks again!

Edie

Marilyn_Sue thanked ediej1209 AL Zn 7
  • chloebud

Lisa, that cranberry/balsamic dressing sounds nice...thanks!

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud
  • ci_lantro

Yes, even though I am the only one who eats them. I like the jellied sauce out of a can best. Also, Ina Garten's Wild Rice Salad (dried cranberries) is very good. And, yes, it's good year round. I also like dried cranberries in a mixed lettuce salad & in chicken salad (with walnuts.)

Marilyn_Sue thanked ci_lantro
  • marymd7

I love cranberries and use them in all sorts of things, both fresh and dried. As for Thanksgiving, while I've had some very good cranberry sauces, the fact is that I like plain old cranberry sauce - cranberries, water and sugar - the best. A friend always brings a very nice cranberry-orange sauce to Thanksgiving at my house, but, if one year she wasn't able to, I'd go back to the plain old stuff made Thanksgiving morning.

Marilyn_Sue thanked marymd7
  • cynic

Since drinking cranberry juice regularly, cranberries aren't the treat they once were. Only about 20 years ago or so that I really started liking cranberries.

• annie1992

Oh definitely. My girls require Ocean Spray jellied, the canned stuff. I like LindaC's cranberry jezebel and so does Elery, so we have both.

Cranberry Jezebel (LindaC)

12 oz bag fresh or frozen cranberries
    1 c. water
    3/4 c. white sugar
    1/2 c brown sugar

3 Tbls fresh horseradish

1 tbls dijon mustard

Wash and pick over the berries, put water and sugars in sauce pan( large
    enough to prevent boil over) and bring to a boil, add berries and return to
    a boil, cook on medium for 15 to 20 minutes from the time it returns to a
    boil, stirring occasionally. Cool to luke warm and add fresh (fresh is
    hotter!) horseradish and Dijon mustard, stir, refrigerate and enjoy!

Now, I will admit to using jarred horseradish instead of fresh, but it's still really good.

I do eat cranberry sauce year round, I usually buy a big bag of cranberries when they are in season and can cranberry sauce, just like I would jelly.

Annie

Marilyn_Sue thanked annie1992
  • l pinkmountain

I always have a difficult time deciding how to serve them because I like cranberries so much. I make a cranberry cherry cobbler with both fruits fresh and dried. Got the recipe one year from Cooking Light. I love it and used to serve it along with pumpkin pie to my friends and family, but my newish husband now always wants pumpkin cheesecake for dessert so we do the cranberry relish as a side.

Marilyn_Sue thanked l pinkmountain
  • chipotle

Annie, that's the version I'm planning to try with a little less sugar. May sub some fresh squeezed orange juice for the water.

Costco has a 32 oz. bag of cranberries for $2.99.

• chloebud

Orange juice is the only liquid I use with this version from Wms. Sonoma.

Wms. Sonoma's Apple-Orange Cranberry Sauce

Note: Can be made several days ahead. Cover and store in fridge. Best served at room temp.

12 oz. fresh cranberries (about 3 cups)

Juice and zest from 1 large orange

1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped into small pieces

1 1/4 cups sugar

Pinch of salt

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

Place cranberries, orange zest, orange juice and apples in medium saucepan. In small bowl mix sugar, salt, cinnamon and cloves and add to cranberry mixture. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover partially. Simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened, apples are tender and berries have burst, 10-15 minutes. Transfer to bowl and let cool before serving.

Marilyn_Sue thanked chloebud