Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_564601787

Need help ASAP with white for kitchen cabinets!

6 years ago

Hi all! We are about to have our kitchen cabinets refinished and I’m hoping to get a little help choosing the correct white. I’m usually pretty laid back about paint but the cabinets are a huge expense and I don’t want to get it wrong!

All of the trim in our entire home was recently painted using Benjamin Moore straight from the can white. My understanding is it’s the equivalent to BM White OC-151/PM2. The kitchen/living area walls are BM Revere Pewter, the counter tops (which may be changed but are staying for now) are Tropical Brown/Black granite, backsplash is a glass and stone mosaic and floors are a reddish brown hardwood (also staying for now because they run through entire house).

My intuition is to just use BM White on cabinets so they match all the trim but I’m a little concerned they will look to stark with some of the warmer surroundings. The flip side is a warmer white may look dingy next to all the white trim.

So...what would you do? Stick with BM White to match trim or choose something else? I’d also like to use BM Chelsea Gray on island if that affects the decision.

Thank you so much!!

Comments (28)

  • 6 years ago

    Did you get sample cans? You need to sample this white (or any colour) in your kitchen before going ahead and committing to X gallons. I think your intuition is right: straight from the can white is a cool white and might be stark with brown granite and reddish brown hardwood. If you want a warm white, BM Simply White is a nice one that marries well with cooler whites. It can also look plain yellow in certain light so it's really best to test it out on canvas or board you can move around in your space.

    How does Chelsea Gray look next to your hardwood?

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! I have a large sample up of Chelsea Gray that looks good with everything that’s already going on in there. It leans fairly warm in the room with an ever so slight green undertone so it works.


    I did not get a sample of BM White only because it is on all our trim and ceilings so I can see quite a bit of it. I had definitely considered Simply White but kept reading it may look dingy/yellowy next to true white trim.


    Hindsight 20/20 I would have actually chosen a white for the trim vs just going with out of can/painters suggestion but too late!


  • 6 years ago

    If Simply White looks dingy next to a truer white will depend on the light in the room. What's your kitchen's exposure and what type of lighting do you have? Is your granite close to any of the white trim?

  • 6 years ago

    The kitchen faces Southeast so it gets most light morning/early afternoon. There are recessed cans and pendant lights all using led bulbs that fall on soft white side and all lights are on dimmers.

    The granite is close to the white trim in several places and directly abuts it in one. It sounds like I should definitely bring home the Simply White to check. Or just plan on replacing the countertops/backsplash which may very well happen anyway! Thank you so much for helping out!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    How do the granite and trim look together to you? If you share pics of your kitchen in natural light, you might have more advice. Good luck with everything.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Agree a posted pic will always help you get more input.

    Is your trim in satin or semigloss? Semigloss is more reflective than the satin (which is more reflective than eggshell, which is more reflective than flat)

    Get a posterboard and paint with your trim-paint (from the trim-paint can I'm sure they left behind for you) and let it dry. Give it a second coat, and once dry [painter's] tape it up onto your kitchen cabinets. Your own lighting is truly your best guide. If it looks ok with you, I would go for the same color as the trim. If it's too stark-feeling, that posterboard taped on the cabinet is a good starting-point to put other smaller swatches up against to see what other white will work well with your BM White trim/not clash.

    If you are going to be replacing any can lights with LED lights in your kitchen (which I highly recommend), do this first/before choosing any paint colors. Commercial Lighting has a great retrofit with adjustable options and is on Amazon or at HD.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you guys so much!

    I’m attaching photos of the kitchen both with lights on and off. I’m also including a close up photo where the BM white trim meets the granite and backsplash. Also, the paint sample on the island is the BM Chelsea Gray and the photo including the kitchen dining area is to just give an idea of the look we are going for!

    The recessed cans have soft white dimmable led bulbs and the pendants and table fixtures have led soft white dimmable Edison bulbs. It took me YEARS to agree to LED because they were always too cook for my taste but am happy with these. Thanks again!!

  • 6 years ago

    The last photo didn’t attach!

  • 6 years ago

    Oh, and trim is BM White in semi-gloss, walls are Regal Matte Revere Pewter and cabinets will likely be satin finish.

  • 6 years ago

    Consider something like this.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you. I looked at that photo too! That is the Chelsea Gray that will go on the island. I was hoping to use something lighter (white) on the other cabinets but it’s proving to be tougher that I planned!

  • 6 years ago

    I have Chelsea Gray in my bedroom, it's a fantastic color no matter what time of the day it is.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your LED lights are good for assessing this.

    Did you paint your trim paint (BM White) onto a posterboard? That will really be the best starting point for you, and this selection will become much easier after doing that as it will serve as a great visual, and benchmark for a white.

    Keep in mind that if you go with the BM White, the satin you want for the cabinet will be just a bit less bright than the posterboard sample because you said that trim paint is semi-gloss...but still the same "tone" of white is the most important thing so that if you mix whites, the contrast doesn't make one of them flare (green, yellow, pink etc). If you decide you like it (not too stark), then go get a quart of it (pint size samples are often not accurate) in satin and do another posterboard before moving forward.

    But your floor is quite warm. so I really think you need to get that larger posterboard-size sample as a starting point...and the convenience is that you (likely) have the paint already :)

  • 6 years ago

    Benjamin Moore white dove would be so pretty on your cabinets. Anyway you can change the trim (just in the kitchen) to bm white dove? I know it’s a pain since you just had it painted but I really think it will be worth it when you have those nice creamy (but not too creamy) white Cabinets. it would really open up your space.





  • 6 years ago

    ccwatters' advice for choosing the cabinet colour is good. What colour did you choose for the walls? Are you committed to painting the cabinets?

  • 6 years ago

    ccwaters-Thank you so much. Off to get poster board and samples...must make decision today unfortunately so hopefully the choice becomes more obvious!

    Mel F-I’m not necessarily opposed to repainting trim in that room but my concern is it opens up to a lot of other areas and the trim meets into other rooms. There really aren’t great stopping points.

    tartanmeup-The walls are BM Revere Pewter. Yes, I’m committed to painting the cabinets. They are actually coming tomorrow morning to remove drawer fronts and doors...ack!

  • 6 years ago

    mackdolan-Under cabinet lighting is being installed during the painting process. We are starting with those two items but have been assured it will be okay to change the countertops and backsplash after the painting if we still feel it needs it.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    If you are going to change the counters and splash, that is what you do FIRST. You risk too much damage to the finished more delicate painted cabinets by doing that later. Changing those is also what will make the biggest difference in the kitchen.

  • 6 years ago

    Ok, well then. I'm not a pro, just a decor enthusiast, and I'm not seeing your space in person so take my opinion with all the reserve it requires. :) I'm looking at your kitchen's colours on my monitor (which may or may not render the colours accurately) and basing my opinions and impressions on that. You need to trust YOUR eye and taste with these decisions.


    Seeing your kitchen pictures, I wouldn't fret over the granite's brown. The granite reads pretty black and is a horizontal surface that the eye doesn't necessarily see next to the cabinets at first glance. The horizontal surface the eye sees more with the cabinets is the floor and that is warm. I would make sure the cabinet colour and island's Chelsea Gray and floor harmonize. I would also strongly consider removing that 4 inch granite backsplash and mosaic backsplash and replacing it with something much simpler and brighter like a subway tile with matching grout. By itself, the new backsplash will freshen up the kitchen. If you paint your cabinets white and leave the dark backsplash, you might not get that modern Farmhouse look I think you're trying to achieve.


    I don't know where you live or how your BM store is staffed but my local ones have pretty experienced people who advise on colours. Have you talked to any of them about your plan? They should be able to find a warm white that harmonizes well with your floor (do you have a sample piece to bring?), Chelsea Gray and PM2. Perhaps White Dove fits the bill exactly. I've never used it nor do I have a test canvas of it.


    Also, you should have a couple of days at least to find the colour since you're getting these cabinets professionally done and it takes a couple of days at least to prep them for paint. Good luck! Keep us posted. I'm sure you'll find the right cabinet colour for your beautiful space.

  • 6 years ago

    Forgot another tip: placing a "white" paint chip against a sheet of printer paper makes it easier to read. It will be more obvious if the colour leans pink, gray, green, etc.


    Rifling through my BM paint chip strips, besides White Dove (OC-17), these are other BM whites I would consider:


    Snowfall White (OC-118) (less "heft" than Simply White)

    Cloud Cover (OC-25) (might not read white enough for you)

    Cloud White (OC-130)

    Alabaster (OC-129)

    Cotton Balls (OC-122) (lighter than Mountain Peak White)

    Mountain Peak White (OC-121)


    Btw, The BM OC colours are off-whites but aren't organized in a reliable way on the strips so don't let their order on the strip sway you. Consider each colour on its own and stay away from cool blue whites.

  • 6 years ago

    Forget painting the cabinets until you fix the counters and backsplash. Wood cabinets are pretty farmhouse, and coming back in style big time. The counters and backsplash are very NOT farmhouse. Nor are they the new Zen Modern, or Moroccan Eclectic, or Swedish Country, that are the next style trends to take over. ,

  • 6 years ago

    tartanmeup-Thank you so much for your time and insight. I will check out those whites as well. I’ve let these floors and finishes stop me from updating for years so am trying best to work around them but it’s not easy! My husband thinks we should just move and start over...starting to think he’s right! ;)

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you all. Sounds like I haven’t really gone about this the right way or in the correct order but for better or worse I’ve paid the deposit on the cabinet refinishing and they are coming in the morning to start the removal. Hoping to make it all work one way or another! :)

  • 6 years ago

    It's always best to address the hard finishes first because they can be limiting, as you've seen. Paint can be matched to anything. If you are contemplating changing the counter and backsplash, do that before you paint your cabinets. If it were my kitchen, I wouldn't paint the cabinets at all. I'd simply change the backsplash to a warm white subway tile and consider painting the walls to match the new backsplash. Your kitchen is quite nice as is and I wouldn't contemplate moving over white paint colours. ;-)

  • 6 years ago

    Haha! Unfortunately, the kitchen is the tip of the iceberg on things we’d like to update (hence his moving comment, lol!).


    I am working on sample boards now of BM White (to match trim), Simply White and White Dove. I am also trying Dove Wing which appears a little darker than White Dove to see if going a little darker provides enough contrast to not make it look like a miss with matching the trim...we will see! I clearly haven’t really gone about this the right way but deposit has been paid and they are coming tomorrow regardless so fingers crossed something works! :)



  • 6 years ago

    Honestly, I would not paint the cabinets at all. The white will just look really stark against the black countertop and backsplash. I might start by painting just the island gray. But your cabinets are actually the nicest part of your kitchen right now.

  • 6 years ago

    Gotcha. I’m not a pro but if were me and I already paid the deposit, etc I would go with Chelsea grey on everything like Jamie suggested. I think it will look really nice! Then down the line you can change the counters and backsplash to lighten it up if you want.