Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasmyn_kim

Coir vs Peat: does it make a difference?

Jasmyn Kim
4 years ago

I’m new to hypertufa, and I’d like to know... is there a significant difference in the final product between using coir vs peat?

Through my research I’ve found conflicting information… Some places say there’s no difference in the results, while others seem to vaguely hint that there may be a slight difference (“coir behaves *similarly* to peat”)... but I’ve only seen one website that explains anything specific about the differences.

“Coir Does Not Decompose As Quickly As Peat Moss. The reason peat moss is an integral ingredient to a “true” hypertufa recipe, is that when it decomposes, it leaves pits and crevices. This mimics real Tufa rock.”

(from http://www.artistic-garden.com/hypertufa-recipe-coir/ )

Have any of you personally seen a difference between coir and peat-based hypertufa aged in the same conditions/climate? A.k.a. can anyone back up this statement?

Also, if this is true, then does that mean that hypertufas kept indoors or out of the elements won’t age properly?

Would anyone else be interested in some sort of scientific experiment testing and comparing the development of coir vs peat-based hypertufas, &/or sheltered vs exposed to the elements?

Thanks!

Comment