FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

hoang_ton

Love Song - 2019 - Zone 8B

Hoang Ton

Beautiful flowers! Zero fragrance. Excellent performer. Flowers do not change form in the summer heat, the colors are less saturated though.

Rose - Love Song · More Info

Rose - Love Song · More Info

Rose - Love Song · More Info

Rose - Love Song · More Info

Rose - Love Song · More Info

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

So excited to receive this rose

Yours is gorgeous !

If I hadn't already ordered Love Song I certainly would after seeing yours

Hoang Ton thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams

Yours is just beautiful, Hoang! I’m a big fan of Love Song. It’s one of the few roses I have planted in a fake half whiskey barrel, in full sun. Not many roses are happy in that situation in my So CA garden. Love Song seems to thrive on the heat. Since mine is potted, it hasn’t grown enormous either. I’m sure the container is keeping my Love Song’s size in check. If it wasn’t such a pain giving the roses enough water during the summer, I’d plant more in large containers.

I’m impressed with Love Song as a cut flower, as well. The blooms last a long time cut and on the bush. The only thing lacking, as you said, is fragrance. I can forgive Love Song for its lack of fragrance because it’s an otherwise perfect lavender rose. A rose needs to be strongly fragrant for me to be able to get any scent in the dry heat that I get. Love Song’s color is a totally different lavender than Poseidon is. I like them both, although Poseidon wants to be SO tall.

Is yours planted in the ground, Hoang? Grafted, or ownroot? Mine was purchased locally, so it’s on Dr. Huey. I’ve heard Love Song can take a while to establish on its own roots.

Thanks for sharing your pictures, Hoang Ton:-). I especially like the picture with the raindrops on the bloom. The color is wonderful, plus I rarely get to see raindrops on roses here. Lisa

Hoang Ton thanked Lisa Adams
  • Hoang Ton

Hi Lisa, mine is planted in the ground and they don't seem to get that big either. It stays relatively small compare to other plants, even in its 2nd year. It is grafted onto Dr. Huey rootstock.

• arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)

Beautiful rose. Thank you for posting a pic of the pinker-leaning blooms. I purchased LS as a band last year and have it growing on in a pot. The few blooms I got last year were light pink. Hoping it lavenders up for me this year.

Hoang Ton thanked arlene_82 (zone 6 OH)
  • Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN

Hoan ! I love all your roses there so well cared for an the area is always so tidy .

Hoang Ton thanked Kenneth zone 7A - Southern Middle TN
  • Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Hoang Ton,

Beautifully grown and photographed. You are an rtist with the camera. I have my eye on it for my garden. How is Love Song's black spot resistance?

Moses

Hoang Ton thanked Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • Hoang Ton

Hey Kenneth, good to see you hear. I know you from one of those FB rose groups. I do wish to have a backyard like yours so I can collect more DA roses.

• Hoang Ton

Thank you for your kinda words Moses. I find that Love Song is above average for blackspot resistant. For reference I rate Heirloom as poor for disease resistant.

• mjkjrobinson

My favorite colour are they fragrant?

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Hoang Ton,

Thanks for the info. I tried Heirloom years ago and shovelpruned it, not for its poor black spot resistance, but because I could never get it to produce anything but deformed flowers.

Moses

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

I had two at my previous home and like Lisa, they were in full sun all day. They performed exceptionally well. Would definitely recommend.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I got a grafted (on doc huey) Love Song @ 3 yrs ago. It totally defoliated here from black spot whereas most of my roses don't. It was good in the spring when I first got it but once it was super humid and raining every day, in the summer, it quickly declined. I am no-spray so it may be, that this rose needs spraying in my climate. It hasn't totally died but it is pretty much a ghost- just hanging on. I should sp'd it but I like to give them every chance. It could be I got a dud. It is pretty enough I might try again if I found it cheap. It would be a gamble here.

• palytoxinz5il

I have a hard time choosing between love song and violet’s pride. Any recommendation that is not “get both”? LOL.

claire

• kathyc_z10

So gorgeous! I like the way you add the videos, reallly nice. I also was eyeing both. I read that Violet's Pride had a tendency to get more pink in the heat, which is a shame because for reasons I cannot explain, I am more drawn to VP but I do not want a rose that pinks up! I prefer lavenders to stay lavender. :) Can anyone with both weigh in?

• mjkjrobinson

I think black violet is a deep true colour!

• Nick 10bSW17

I love your rose posts, however, they make me want to shop from your garden and that is dangerous! ; )

• Lisa Adams

I have both Love Song and Violet’s Pride in S CA zone 10a. I love them both, but for different reasons. Although my Love Song is in a resin half whisky barrel, I believe it would be smaller than Violet’s Pride if planted in the ground. Very few roses can handle the “pot life” in full So CA sun. Love Song can and does in my garden. I do have various low growing plants around the base of the barrel. Those plants keep the barrel itself from being hit by full sun, so Love Song’s roots don’t cook. I get far more blooms from Violet’s Pride than from Love Song. Love Song blooms in flushes, with breaks between flushes. Love Song doesn’t pink up in the heat at all in my garden. It just fades a bit, as Hoang mentioned. Violet’s Pride does go pinkish when it’s very hot and sunny. It’s not an attractive pink, more like a dull Pepto-Bismol pink. She only does that when we get an extremely hot and dry heatwave. She doesn’t do her “Pepto routine” as a summer/fall long thing for me, just on “special” occasions. Violet’s Pride also sometimes has blooms with fewer petals during extreme heatwaves. In the spring, my Violet’s Pride will sometimes have blooms that are fuchsia in the middle, and lavender on the outside. They are especially gorgeous when they do this. Usually, my Violet’s Pride blooms are lavender. My Violet’s Pride is becoming rather large and wide. It’s pruning time, so I’ll cut her back severely. Violet’s Pride is still trying to bloom today, while Love Song seems to be waiting for warmer temps. Violet’s Pride blooms currently look damaged by the up and down weather that I’ve had lately. Her blooms have been exposed to near freezing nighttime temps, rain, then 2 days of 79F temps with very dry Santa Ana winds. This afternoon, the blooms will be drizzled on again.

I have no experience with black spot in this dry climate, so I can’t help out on that issue. However, I have never seen rust or powdery mildew on either rose. I do get powdery mildew on quite a few of my roses during certain times of the year, rust only occasionally. Violet’s Pride had a giant grafted Abraham Darby planted next to her for several years. Abraham Darby was literally entwined into Violet’s Pride by summertime each year. Abe suffered from extreme rust by late summer/fall every year. Violet’s Pride never had a speck on her, despite Abe actually physically touching her.

As a side note; I grew tired of my grafted Abe’s enormous size and rust issues (although his blooms were gorgeous.) I had my son remove Abe Darby the first, and I planted a new, own root AD in the same place. I’m hoping the own root AD II will remain smaller, and have better disease resistance.)

Violet’s Pride has fragrance. Love Song does not. Violet’s Pride blooms are smaller, but there are more of them and they are sometimes produced in clusters. During Violet’s Pride’s big spring flush, one or two stems make a large bouquet. On the other hand, Violet’s Pride blooms don’t last nearly as well in a vase compared to Love Song’s larger blooms.

I hope this helps a bit. I’ll hunt for some pictures later. It looks like the rain is about to start, so I need to get the patio cushions in, etc. Lisa

• palytoxinz5il

Thank you Lisa for that detailed comparison! It really helps a lot!

claire

• kathyc_z10

thank you for the detailed information @Lisa Adams! What a thoughtful writeup. Very relevant to me as I have similar dry heat climate. Violet's Pride is sounding better to me now than Love Song.