Software
Houzz Logo Print
alana8asc

Starting to get excited!

6 years ago

I know it's early,...but Spring is coming! My forsythia budding up, some yellow Jasmine has bloomed, my Winter Honeysuckle Shrub has started blooming! We had a cold front come through today, but 70's by the weekend ,again 37° tonight, maybe lower, crazy, huh?
How's ya'll's weather? Hopefully it's not crazy like SC's. I still think of moving!
Also, would like to say many prayers and thoughts for Australia, I hope and pray for the people and the animals, and plants and homes, and all in the path of all those fires. Praying for some rain for them!

Comments (6)

  • 6 years ago

    You guys are so early there! Unfortunately one thing Australia and California has in common are the eucalyptus trees. I'm praying for everyone everywhere. It seems we all need it.

    Alana8aSC thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • 6 years ago

    I bet it’s very exciting to see signs of the coming spring, Alana. I’m with Rosefolly. We have had some good rain, and cold(for S CA.) temps, but not enough yet. My Duchess de Brabant has been so much happier since late November. Tomorrow will be 77F, though. I also heard rumors of a Santa Ana on its way. It’s not the best news for my my recently planted chilled tulips and other chilled bulbs. We don’t get the cold they require, so I have to provide a “winter” for them in the garage fridge. They usually go in the fridge as soon as I can get my hands on them, (September or October.) All the months of chilling is being undone with our sudden jump temps. Hopefully, the ones in small containers that are still chilling will force nicely.

    Thank goodness things are still wet enough that the predicted dry winds shouldn’t spark wildfires. Vap, I’ve had a bird’s eye view of a eucalyptus grove burning out of control. They literally explode from the oil they’re filled with. It’s terrifying how hot and quickly they burn. Plus, they are incredibly tall. I often see trees that are 150’ to over 200’ tall. They can put on 6’ of height per year! One tall eucalyptus tree will turn a single-home fire into a multi home fire when it goes down in a blaze of ........; I can’t call it “glory”, so I’ll call it “an exploding blaze of destruction.” I wish they’d never been brought over here. Most of the nearest eucalyptus trees have been removed from the park adjacent to my house. There’s much less mess when the wind blows, and I’m no longer nervous about them crashing down on my house. They are shallow rooted and have hard, yet brittle wood. Since the removal of the closest tree, I really notice that the eucalyptus roots aren’t sucking up every available drop of water from my soil. Eucalyptus is also extremely poisonous to cats. Cut eucalyptus logs do make great firewood, other than all the popping sparks they throw out. I’m happy every time I see it for sale. The fewer of them we have the better, IMO. I shutter at the thought of all that eucalyptus ablaze in Australia. It’s so sad to see on the news.

    Enjoy your signs of the coming spring, Alana! I’m truly happy for you. I’m sure winter feels, and is, incredibly long in cold areas. Our “winter” is never long enough, cold enough, or wet enough for me. I love wintertime in the garden. I hope you’re feeling well, and enjoy a wonderful 2020 gardening season! Lisa


    Alana8aSC thanked Lisa Adams
  • 6 years ago

    Prayer AND action. Alana, spring is feeling rather close here, too, though much of that is on account of unusually sunny mild weather. But my snowdrops are poking up in the woods. These are foreigners, not the native snowdrops I ordered, though pretty and prolific. They clump nicely but don't seem to seed that I can tell.

    Alana8aSC thanked Melissa Northern Italy zone 8
  • 6 years ago

    " Our “winter” is never long enough, cold enough, or wet enough for me. I love wintertime in the garden. " O, Lisa, that is me, too! This is the best time to work outdoors, to BE outdoors; once it starts warming up it all happens too fast,and in a very short time it's too hot to enjoy being outside. The climate here in Italy has been crazy,as it seems to be everywhere anymore-and considering what Australia is going through, I certainly can't complain. You said it, Melissa-prayer AND ACTION.

    Alana8aSC thanked User
  • 6 years ago

    Rosefolly I've find myself thinking of them often. Hope they get some reprieve soon.

    Rosefolly and Lisa, I hope you both get oodles of more rain before the season ends. And Lisa I hope your Tulips bloom awesome for you this year!


    Vaporvac This is early, and how it's been the last few years. Not really to my liking but not really much I can do about it.


    Melissa and Bart, I feel exactly the same way. Everything is coming up, way to early, IMO. this mild weather has alot to do with it.


    At first I was angry and sad. I love Winter, and love to work outside in winter as well. And these swinging temperatures are not to my liking or my body's liking. You are right bart, once it starts warming up, it does all happen to fast. But you are also right , who are we to complain, when Australia is going through much worse.