Software
Houzz Logo Print
angi_watson17

kitchen table color

6 years ago

Hi, we had a cherry kitchen and this table fit in but now that we’ve renovated it seems out of place (at this time I am not buying a new table). I am thinking to either sand it and do a white wash or paint it. What color would you suggest? My paint color throughout is grey ghost and for the most part the style colors are white, grey, and blue accents. I’m thinking to paint it white would be too much white in the kitchen??... not sure.

Comments (22)

  • 6 years ago

    I don't think white wash will go with your contemporary kitchen. What shade blue are your accents? Why not go with a fun blue color? Easy to change if you get tired of it. Any color would go with your chairs. And perhaps a different chandelier. If you get a chandy with clear crystals you could replace them with the color of the table. If like that idea, get the crystals first then color match the paint. Or get a tablecloth. Quicker, cheaper, easier! Good job on the kitchen, beautiful!

  • 6 years ago

    I'm thinking a blue and white runner on the table with a nice centre piece maybe a piece of pottery

  • 6 years ago

    I would go with a gray as the cherry fights with the floor, a grey that goes with the chairs.

  • 6 years ago

    Do you think a grey bottom and either white wash or all white top would work? It has a glass top to protect the top if I paint the top. The legs of the chairs are like a white wash look.

  • 6 years ago

    Yes, it would work, but it is going to be hard to get it that color. Painting furniture is no easy feat! If you’re gonna do it I’d try it on something you don’t care about first. I know you said you are not going to replace the table, but I think a glass table would work so much better in your space (which is beautiful by the way!), there are many inexpensive round glass table options online, might be worth a look and maybe sell yours? The wood just feels heavy in your new space.

  • 6 years ago

    Before you start painting, throw different colored pieces of fabric on it to see what would work. Get poster board (large pieces) and paint them any color you are considering. OR, put it on Craig’s list and see if you can get a reasonable amount for it (with the chairs) and then you can consider a glass table with lighter-looking chairs. The size definitely works.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    The table is fine - it's your chairs that don't go. Try slipcovering them in a creamy white or grey fabric, and if you like the look, consider re-upholstering them.

  • 6 years ago

    I tried the white wash look but before I put the final wash I decided against it and went with two tone gray.

  • 6 years ago

    I'm with Patricia, you need an updated light fixture above your table. Table looks good!


  • 6 years ago

    Wow, you don’t fool around! Love it! Looks wonderful!

  • 6 years ago

    Wow, you work fast! The table looks great, now for something colorful on top. And a new chandelier.

  • 6 years ago

    Wow looks great!!!

  • 6 years ago

    Good job

  • 6 years ago

    Great job but agree with others re need for different chairs and light fixture. Accessories will make it amazing!

  • 6 years ago

    You did a great job! It looks perfect.

  • 6 years ago

    Looks fabulous! Great painting job.

  • 6 years ago

    Don’t do anything to that table! You need relief from all the white!! I would change the chairs because they are very heavy-looking. Pick an accent color and bring in chairs in that color. Add art, colored accessories, and maybe paint a wall or two in a light version of your accent color. The chandelier is more cream than white, so that could be changed out, too.

  • 6 years ago

    I know gray is popular right now, but real wood will always be more popular.

  • 6 years ago

    The table’s a classic and should be left alone. Changing the upholstery on the chairs makes much more sense: they come across as leaden. An everything-proof fabric (e.g. Sunbrella) would work well.

  • PRO
    6 years ago

    I love the idea of a gray bottom with the natural wood on the top!

  • 6 years ago

    It’s a shame the table was transformed from elegant to junk shop.