Software
Houzz Logo Print
maitals

Front yard tree placement and relocation

6 years ago

Hi, I am in the middle of a front yard landscaping and face lift project. First, I am considering moving the olive tree that is in the middle of the yard to the very right portion of the yard where we will have a desert scape area. Olive trees transplant well. I think this would help balance out the olive tree on the left of the property. I think it will also look good at the right end of the yard as it will round out the large lemon trees. If I do this, I would put a palo verde tree in the middle of the lawn centered between the two windows.

Note I am definitely putting a palo verde tree in the courtyard in front of the set of three windows. We will have a date palm on either side of the path to the entry. We are redoing our mailbox. We will be putting down pavers in the driveway and courtyard.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Comments (5)

  • 6 years ago

    Alternatively rather than placing one palo verde between the two large windows, we could instead place one palo verde in front of EACH window. They probably would grow together but then be separate when we trim them. Thoughts?

  • 6 years ago

    Anyone??? Leaning towards one palo verde tree centered between the two large front windows. What do think about the whole plan? Note we are also planning on painting garage dark brown or replacing it with a brown door.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your plan is too matchy matchy and rigid for me. The panorama picture you posted while very helpful does distort the actual space involved and can make it harder for a true feel of things. It looks like you live on a corner lot and I'm not sure that is the reality.

    Moving the much larger olive and placing it in front(?) of the large lemon trees will just hide them from view and potentially cut off some of the light for them. Not good.

    Moving the olive, then planting two Palo Verde where you have suggested gives you O,PV,PV,O. I'd rather see O, PV, O, PV,Lemons. That just may be my preference.

    Placing matching (pygmy)? date palms on either side of a redone paver driveway and front walk that makes a new tiny constricted bed along side the drive is creating a problem many try to eliminate. The very idea of a huge date palm tree trunk right next to the driveway hurts.

    If you want date palms for the front entry, place a group of them in another planting bed to the right of the front walk that adds some screening for the courtyard.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks!

  • 6 years ago

    I am a little sceptical of your landscaping plan in general. I would have a nursery come out and look at what you already have, and then draw up a plan for any changes, or additions, before you decide to change or move or add anything. You can do it yourself, if that is what you want to do, but, you will at least have a cohesive plan that will look good to follow.