Software
Houzz Logo Print
peggysimshancock

Master bath dated,small;peeling wallpaper broken tile attic expansion?

13 years ago
Could expand small master bath using attic. Replace broken tile, new cabinet, replace tub with shower, replace peeling wallpaper with delicious paint, frame mirror, replace plastic light cover with modern light fixture, new floor, update, repair, replace, expand!:) 10 years like this :(

Comments (20)

  • PRO
    13 years ago
    I assume the attic is adjacent and not above your current bathroom. As foreverreno states you need to find out if your attic space can support the weight. Normally a master bath consists of 5 pieces. 2 sinks, tub, shower, toilet. If you want to convert the existing tub/shower into shower only, tile all the way to the ceiling. I do a lot of bathrooms and tiling to the ceiling raises the perceived height. Use the bigger sized tiles like 12 x 24 or 24 x 24. Set in an offset pattern. Makes the space feel bigger. I sometimes tile the lid too. I'd shorten that window if possible. Add a niche to the back wall if it's open. Use smaller tiles on the shower pan as you need the grout to prevent slippage. In CA you can only go as big as 2x2 for shower pan floors.
    peggysimshancock thanked DL Design Studio
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Not sure what your question is, but if you are planning to tackle something like this, I'm with @foreverreno. You really should hire a pro, and I'd have to say an Architect would be your best stop. Doing this without one is bound to result in at least a few mistakes (costly when you are dealing with tile, glass and plumbing) you could have otherwise avoided. Try the Houzz find a pro feature, you should find plenty in your area.

    One thing I will say is deal with that window if you do nothing else. The cove tile on the sill looks like it is gone and chances are water is getting into your wall there and probably all around the window. If you remodel, most codes will also require that window to be safety glazed.
    peggysimshancock thanked ReSquare Architecture + Construction
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    @dldesignstudio: "In CA you can only go as big as 2x2 for shower pan floors."
    Do you have a direct code reference on that? I've done numerous permitted tiled shower pans in CA and never heard that and can't find anything in Title24.
    peggysimshancock thanked ReSquare Architecture + Construction
  • 13 years ago
    The question? I was entering the bathroom contest, but I appreciate the comments
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Resquare Architects - misquoted by my son. That's what happens when I'm reading, talking with client, doing research all the while he's yapping at me about Houzz! I said that I'd advise not bigger than 2x2 unless the tile is textured. I've done many sizes. No more typing for my son..he does love the site though
    peggysimshancock thanked DL Design Studio
  • 13 years ago
    I live this site too
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    Good luck entering the contest. You deserve it!
  • 13 years ago
    Good luck with the contest. Also, as foreverreno stated, an architect and contractor are almost a must. I imagine there is water damage and possibly mold.
  • 13 years ago
    A "small" bathroom (your description, not mine) doesn't need an architect for goodness sake. But a licensed contractor is a must, working around wet areas with obvious damage. Going into an attic - perhaps the architect would be a good idea. If you are planning to go up into an attic to gain head room, just for the aesthetics...is it worth the money ?
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    @suzannah48: I'd generally agree that an Architect is not required for a small bathroom, but @peggysimshancock mentions using the attic (structural issues) and I see that window (code and building science issues). In most US jurisdictions a licensed Architect is required to advise and design on both.
  • 13 years ago
    I acknowledged that...but they've lived with it for 10 years, so budget is likely an issue.
  • PRO
    13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Budget is always an issue, but if @peggysimshancock wants to expand into an attic on a budget all the more reason to consult a professional. Going without one risks making serious errors that then blow the budget and leave the room half finished with no funds remaining.

    My free advice as a professional? If you are on a tight budget, stick with re-finishing. No expansion, no fixture relocation. If you win the contest, hire a pro and let them guide you on how to expand within the prize budget.
    peggysimshancock thanked ReSquare Architecture + Construction
  • 13 years ago
    We have lived here that long but did other projects first. Only recently did the window sill start to chip and I started peeling wallpaper. I have a "handy" husband who is also too busy at work. It is a "catch 22" with a handy husband who wishes to tackle projects he really has no time to do
  • 13 years ago
    If you are interested, while you are waiting to see if you won the contest, here are a few things you can do yourself for less than $50 on one afternoon. Replacing the missing tile on the window ledge is easy. Grouting is like spreading peanut butter neatly. Even easier is to cover the ledge with Contact paper to reduce water infiltration temporarily (not 100%). Buy a couple of $1 narrow plastic drawer trays for the shampoos and toiletries to sit on the ledge and prevent rust rings. Finish peeling off the wallpaper and give that area a quick coat of oil based paint. Tidy up tile cracks with grout or caulking applied with your finger tip; it's like toothpaste.

    For another $80, you can buy a 5 by 8 bath carpet (latex backed) and cut it to fit. They are washable. http://www.amazon.com/Mohawk-Duets-Bath-Carpet-Ivory/dp/B008H3RJJ2

    For another $25 you can get a new shower curtain.

    Sometimes temporary solutions can be wonderful. These do not require two people.
    peggysimshancock thanked apple_pie_order
  • 13 years ago
    I just realized you've already done several projects, so you already know how to do these things. Good luck with the contest!
  • 13 years ago
    Love the tips!
  • 13 years ago
    As well as finding out if you can use the attic you need to replace the window and be prepared for a major repair is you have been shower in there for 10 years. You need a good, approved contractor and possible more trades and professionals.
    peggysimshancock thanked Sheila
  • 13 years ago
    While you are waiting to replace the window, you can use these to reduce the water flow onto the window: http://www.amazon.com/Carnation-Home-Fashions-Bathroom-Curtain/dp/B002XQ2LGK
    peggysimshancock thanked apple_pie_order
  • 13 years ago
    I wonder what brain farts cause people to put windows in showers! We have an ARCHITECT designed 23 year old home that had a huge plate glass window in the tub/shower in the kids Jack and Jill bath. We curtained it for years but the curtains get nasty really fast no matter how well you clean and bleach them. The neighbor built a deck off of their second floor bonus room which made doing anything in that space highly visible. We finally had the pane/pain replaced with glass blocks. It gives the teenager privacy and still lets in light. If the house was not brick veneer, I would have reframed a wide and shallow window up high but redoing the siding was more than I wanted to take on. We upgraded the two ceiling fans to better ventilate the space as part of the makeover. It turned out that neither of the original fans had ever been vented outside - just into the attic. Make sure you get both a good designer and a qualified contractor.
    peggysimshancock thanked uberv