Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adadej

Luxury Vinyl Planks

adadej
4 years ago

Good afternoon, I am considering putting Luxury Vinyl Planks in my kitchen/bathroom/dinette/living room area. I like the "wooden" look but I dont want the feel of the "doctor's office". I am looking for a high quality product that would look nice and be durable (family with kids). Would you please kindly share some pictures, ideas, what brands to pick etc. Thank you in advance

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

First what will it butt up to in the rest of the house. Fake wood and real wood next to each other never works.As for the rest you choose what you like . Better quality gets IMO better looking .Not sure what you mean about a DRs office .

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

Yes...first things first: What are the floors in the REST of the house? Do you want to EXTEND the vinyl in the house at a later date? If so, you better purchase everything all at once. Man-made products (like engineered hardwood, laminate, vinyl, ceramic tiles, etc) have a shelf-life of 18-24 months. That means in 2 years you won't be able to find more of the product. That's when you realize you have to do all the flooring AGAIN!

• adadej
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hello, The entire ground floor of the house would be changed. ( so there wont be nothing "next to it". I love hardwood but im afraid of maintenance (potential water intrusion etc...we live in Florida ).

• SJ McCarthy
    4 years ago

What's on the stairs leading upstairs?

• R. C.
    4 years ago

We have LVP (I do not recall the brand) and LOVE it! Definitely look into CoreTec.

Our cats have vomited on this floor with no problem. Easy to clean and looks good.

• G D
    4 years ago

Good to hear about Coretec quality.

• Davied Davies
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have a question to everyone about LVT - do you feel the sound of it (the echo) makes it feel cheap if you were really paying attention? Compared to engineered wood that's my main concern.

• DCF-Z6A
    4 years ago

We installed LW Flooring Riverstone (Citrine Oasis) throughout our small home about six months ago. When the angle of the sunlight pouring in hits just right, there's no denying it's not wood if that's what you're seeking to see. I think that's likely the case for all of them. (We brought home samples of multiple brands of equivalent quality, including Coretec; we selected the one that best mimicked wood in all lighting conditions.) We love the warmth it's brought to our home, as well as the easy care and durability thus far.

• chocolatebunny123
    4 years ago

We have Coretec Alabaster Oak in our basement. It has a lot of variation and we're really happy with it.

We have hardwood on the main floor and you can definitely feel the difference when you walk on the two floors, but I wouldn't say the Coretec feels "cheap". Just different.

• PRO
    4 years ago

I have never had the echo with laminate or LVP .

• Chessie
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Davied Davies - I have LVP in my kitchen and laundry room - it is a glue-down product. No clicking, echo, or any kind of noise - and that was one of the reasons I chose the glue-down version. It simply sounds solid.

• DCF-Z6A
    4 years ago

Ours is floating, not glued down. There's no echo, feels solid.

• Mary Elizabeth
    4 years ago

DCF440,

Can I ask the brand of your LVP? Also, what is it laid over - concrete?

• DCF-Z6A
    4 years ago

Mary, it's LW Flooring, Riverstone. The 20 year old Armstrong laminate in the kitchen was pulled up and, of course, old carpeting in the other rooms; it was then laid throughout the house over the original 1960s laminate sheet flooring and laminate tiles.

• julieste
    4 years ago

DCF440

What you describe with the sunlight hitting the floors at exactly the right angle making them look plasticky is exactly what I am trying to avoid in my flooring search. In fact, I have already eliminated a lot of potential candidates for exactly that same reason.

I looked up your product and see that it is embossed in register (EIR), and to me some of the worst offenders have been EIR, so I'd really like to hear more from you. The ones I saw that looked most plasticky to me were ones with things like large knots of wood or a large flame pattern that then, because of the EIR, had a pretty large spot or blob of polyurethane. This really jumped out at me. Is this what you mean when you say in the right light the floors seem to look fake?

• DCF-Z6A
    4 years ago

julieste, honestly, I don't know that you're going to find any LVP floor at any price point that mimics wood in every light and condition. Plastic is simply not wood. There's no escaping that reality.

To answer your question, the appearance of the wood pattern on our floor (i.e., knots, etc.) is very well done. But the actual texture of the floor is where the light can catch and reveal that it doesn't have the depth of real wood. And we're okay with that! We rarely see it and it's insignificant to us when we do. And it certainly doesn't stop friends or family from enjoying themselves here!

If you don't want to ever look at your floor and be reminded it's not real wood, then get real wood. :-) Be true to your needs and style. We had no intention of dealing with wood; we wanted a warm wood look, high quality and easy maintenance. We got that.

I hope that is helpful! Happy to answer additional questions.

• Holly Pike
    4 years ago

We used HydraLuxe Rigid it’s great, extremely durable, nothing has scratched it, including heavy appliances. We have hardwood (living room, hallway, master) and it scratches easily. Our kids can’t use some of their toys on it. The vinyl (in the kids rooms, bathroom, dining and kitchen) is amazing. Both look great. We got a premium brand at a low price. Cheaper than the expensive brand at Home Depot, and that brand isn’t as good as this stuff. It has cork backing and is so warm to walk on!

https://www.beaulieucanada.com/en/about/brands/hydraluxerigid

• PRO
    Alex Guthrie Construction LLC
    4 years ago

The new luxury vinyl floors are awesome! you'll be happy you did it! Good luck!

• PRO
    4 years ago

I like Mannington Adura.

• Davied Davies
    4 years ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting Patricia, at what price did you get these planks?

• Chessie
    4 years ago

" If you don't want to ever look at your floor and be reminded it's not real wood, then get real wood. :-) Be true to your needs and style. We had no intention of dealing with wood; we wanted a warm wood look, high quality and easy maintenance. We got that. "

Well said. I did not want wood either; did not want the look of wood, or the maintenance.