FOR PROS
Business tools custom-built for our industry

Say 'so long' to generic business software. Houzz Pro is designed for industry professionals like you.

romogen

2021 David Austin USA Introductions

romogen

2021 releases from David Austin USA will be EUSTACIA VYE and GABRIEL OAK. Available for pre-order starting November 2020.

Online pictures borrowed from this 2019 article: https://www.pumpkinbeth.com/2019/05/new-david-austin-roses-2019/

• K S 8b Seattle

I'm looking forward to growing Gabriel Oak! Great news!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Wow! I need more land or more sun :/

• berrypie7

The only thing that held me back from over buying roses this year is that I have big plans for next year if all goes well. Right Roses web sight gives a wonderful comprehensive look at both Eustacia Vye and Gabriel Oak .

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

Me, too, sultry. I love both roses, but I think Eustacia is an awful lot like Evelyn, so, I'd probably choose the luscious Gabriel if I could have only one. If the photo shows his true color, he's quite unique to my eyes. Plus all those petals--sigh. Diane

• Oliver (SF 9A)

I love the look of Gabriel Oak too. But the review from right roses says the blooms do not last long... :(

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I think Marlorena is growing GO and really likes it. I'll see if I can find that post.

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Here is Marloren's post on Eustacia Vye and Gabriel Oak. She links to a great DA video and further down the page gives her critique of these two roses once she actually planted them. I can't wait for next year. It's been a while since I bought from DA, but I think GO might kick my BSy Darcey down to the lower level.

• Oliver (SF 9A)

Thank you so much for the link!

• Magnus - England

@Oliver Right Roses is an indespensible tool for buying Austins in the UK, but I find some of their negative points havent applied to some roses in my garden. Jude the Obscure especially, i'd disagree with every bad point they have about that rose. Just goes to show how much difference your individual garden environment can make to a rose, even in the same country/zone.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Diane, from Marlorenas photos, Eustacia kinda looks like a cross between Evelyn and Abe...hmmmm that makes it sound a little tempting even though I have both of those lol! I may wait for more photos from others Eustacia first.

Gabriel Oak is gorgeous. I hope it has those colors. The recent release, James L Austin is also dark pink but some of the GO pics look to have a touch of lighter coralish pink to the outer petals. Makes it look unique.

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

So excited about Gabriel Oak

My grandson is Gabriel

• Oliver (SF 9A)

Thank you magnus!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

sultry, I noticed that a while back when she first posted her Eustacia Photos. If she has the best of Abe and Evelyn, she's be a killer. I'd like to see more info on HMF about her. Check p 26 in your Tantau catalog. Sophie Luise reminds me a bit of Gabriel Oak. On the computer, Gabe seems a little brighter, but I'll bet their color is close. I do love Sophie Luise.

Then you must have Gabriel the rose, Kristine. I have Evelyn for my Clare Evelyn, but I wish there were a Clare rose (Claire Rose doesn't count-ha). Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Just checked the catalog. Yes you are right it really looks similar. I love that color!

The Tantau catalog has so many lovelies! What I wouldn't give for a Eisvogel !!! (pg 13)

• mjkjrobinson

Gorgeous beautiful rose, love it!

• Marlorena-z8 England-

From my observations of 'Eustacia Vye' I suspect, without any proof whatsoever as they never tell us these things, that 'Tamora' is a parent, as it is for 'Evelyn'... when I see photos of 'Tamora' I see a lot of Eustacia going on there... not the colour, just the foliage and shape of the blooms,..

sjn... I have 'Eisvogel'.. but I don't know anything about it..

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

I checked Eisvogel out on HMF quite a while ago, and to my disappointment, the blooms shown in the HMF photos did not display the ruffled petals, and were nothing special to me. So disappointed. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Marlorena, You're so lucky to have Eisvogel if she looks anything like the catalog! I hope you will post photos whenever she begins blooming.

Diane, how odd that they wouldnt be ruffled on hmf but they are in the catalog. That's not right! In the catalog she looks like a dream. If she isnt the same as the catalog, I guess its a good thing we cant just run out and buy every beauty in there lol.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho

The latest two photos of Eisvogel on HMF are quite beautiful, but not ruffly. The color and abundance of petals is lovely, but where are the ruffles? To me, that was the selling point of this rose. Still, I'd take her if she was being sold here. I, too, want to see your photos, Marlorena. Diane

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Thanks...I got it because it's supposed to be scented, and I'm only getting scented roses from Tantau..

The other two I have are 'Wildberry' and 'Aquarell'.. if you see those in the catalogue..

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)

I love Austins but these two doesn't stand out for me. They are beautiful but it isn't unique compared to other austins. I need to see more pics to see what it looks like in a garden.

• Marlorena-z8 England-

..I don't think those photos above are the best... I wouldn't have known that was Eustacia from those pictures..

..Incidentally, just to say that a rumour is going around that has emanated from a British gardening blog about the discontinuation of several popular DA roses.. this report is untrue... the roses quoted are Munstead Wood, Graham Thomas, Falstaff, and Lady Emma Hamilton... all these are still available here from DA and not discontinued as the report suggests.... the gentleman who wrote it made the mistake of not 'searching' for the roses... DA don't list everything on their main pages..

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

Thank you. Also, in the Stateside catalogue many less popular or OGRs are only listed as being online, such as Heathcliff. I love this rose.

• Magnus - England

Marlorena, them making it harder to find those roses is concerning! I have a feeling they're trying to slowly phase those roses out over the next however many years they plan to keep them available. Some of those roses really haven't been "superceded" by their newer varieties so either they have promising roses coming up or they feel their current advertised selection is enough...

• Marlorena-z8 England-

Magnus... yes they may go eventually, perhaps sooner than later, but what's been put out there claims they are no longer offered and that's not the case..

...my own take on it is that I have noticed their main listings change frequently and I think it's due to whatever roses they have more of in stock, they wish to flog, especially with Valentine's Day coming up... roses come and go from their main list, and you often have to search for one that has seemingly disappeared... I suspect it's because they have less stock of that variety, because it's popular and they don't need to advertise it... whereas all the others they have excess stock...

Like you I expect, I frequently get emails offering me certain roses as being especially suitable for certain purposes.. and I just think, well actually, most of their roses would be suitable for what they are recommending them for, but these are the ones they have too many of in stock... I see the same process going on, on their Instagram page...

• romogen

EMILY BRÖNTE versus EUSTACIA VYE... meh?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley

I get that in pics of the flowers only, many of these roses look similar. However, IME, the flower size, scent, shade/sun tolerance, growth habit including size and thorniness vary tremendously making each most suitable for different spots That said, I would love for them to develop a lavender! : ))

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

They need a lavender shaped and smelling just like Evelyn...i think that would bring the masses to thier knees lol.

• Sylvia Wendel

According to HMF, Novalis = Poseidon. Beautiful by any name.

• monarda_gw

Emily Bronte appears from the photos to have much smaller leaves than Eustacia Vye. Rose blossoms can be really set off by ferny leaves. Also scent may be different. I would like to see these in a botanic garden.