romogen

2021 David Austin USA Introductions

romogen
last year
last modified: last year

2021 releases from David Austin USA will be EUSTACIA VYE and GABRIEL OAK. Available for pre-order starting November 2020.

Online pictures borrowed from this 2019 article: https://www.pumpkinbeth.com/2019/05/new-david-austin-roses-2019/

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    last year

So excited about Gabriel Oak

My grandson is Gabriel

• Oliver (SF 9A)
    last year

Thank you magnus!

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    last year

sultry, I noticed that a while back when she first posted her Eustacia Photos. If she has the best of Abe and Evelyn, she's be a killer. I'd like to see more info on HMF about her. Check p 26 in your Tantau catalog. Sophie Luise reminds me a bit of Gabriel Oak. On the computer, Gabe seems a little brighter, but I'll bet their color is close. I do love Sophie Luise.

Then you must have Gabriel the rose, Kristine. I have Evelyn for my Clare Evelyn, but I wish there were a Clare rose (Claire Rose doesn't count-ha). Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Just checked the catalog. Yes you are right it really looks similar. I love that color!

The Tantau catalog has so many lovelies! What I wouldn't give for a Eisvogel !!! (pg 13)

• mjkjrobinson
    last year

Gorgeous beautiful rose, love it!

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year
    last modified: last year

From my observations of 'Eustacia Vye' I suspect, without any proof whatsoever as they never tell us these things, that 'Tamora' is a parent, as it is for 'Evelyn'... when I see photos of 'Tamora' I see a lot of Eustacia going on there... not the colour, just the foliage and shape of the blooms,..

sjn... I have 'Eisvogel'.. but I don't know anything about it..

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    last year

I checked Eisvogel out on HMF quite a while ago, and to my disappointment, the blooms shown in the HMF photos did not display the ruffled petals, and were nothing special to me. So disappointed. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    last year
    last modified: last year

Marlorena, You're so lucky to have Eisvogel if she looks anything like the catalog! I hope you will post photos whenever she begins blooming.

Diane, how odd that they wouldnt be ruffled on hmf but they are in the catalog. That's not right! In the catalog she looks like a dream. If she isnt the same as the catalog, I guess its a good thing we cant just run out and buy every beauty in there lol.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    last year

The latest two photos of Eisvogel on HMF are quite beautiful, but not ruffly. The color and abundance of petals is lovely, but where are the ruffles? To me, that was the selling point of this rose. Still, I'd take her if she was being sold here. I, too, want to see your photos, Marlorena. Diane

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year

Thanks...I got it because it's supposed to be scented, and I'm only getting scented roses from Tantau..

The other two I have are 'Wildberry' and 'Aquarell'.. if you see those in the catalogue..

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    last year

I love Austins but these two doesn't stand out for me. They are beautiful but it isn't unique compared to other austins. I need to see more pics to see what it looks like in a garden.

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year

..I don't think those photos above are the best... I wouldn't have known that was Eustacia from those pictures..

..Incidentally, just to say that a rumour is going around that has emanated from a British gardening blog about the discontinuation of several popular DA roses.. this report is untrue... the roses quoted are Munstead Wood, Graham Thomas, Falstaff, and Lady Emma Hamilton... all these are still available here from DA and not discontinued as the report suggests.... the gentleman who wrote it made the mistake of not 'searching' for the roses... DA don't list everything on their main pages..

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

Thank you. Also, in the Stateside catalogue many less popular or OGRs are only listed as being online, such as Heathcliff. I love this rose.

• Magnus - England
    last year

Marlorena, them making it harder to find those roses is concerning! I have a feeling they're trying to slowly phase those roses out over the next however many years they plan to keep them available. Some of those roses really haven't been "superceded" by their newer varieties so either they have promising roses coming up or they feel their current advertised selection is enough...

• Marlorena-z8 England-
    last year

Magnus... yes they may go eventually, perhaps sooner than later, but what's been put out there claims they are no longer offered and that's not the case..

...my own take on it is that I have noticed their main listings change frequently and I think it's due to whatever roses they have more of in stock, they wish to flog, especially with Valentine's Day coming up... roses come and go from their main list, and you often have to search for one that has seemingly disappeared... I suspect it's because they have less stock of that variety, because it's popular and they don't need to advertise it... whereas all the others they have excess stock...

Like you I expect, I frequently get emails offering me certain roses as being especially suitable for certain purposes.. and I just think, well actually, most of their roses would be suitable for what they are recommending them for, but these are the ones they have too many of in stock... I see the same process going on, on their Instagram page...

• romogen
    last year
    last modified: last year

EMILY BRÖNTE versus EUSTACIA VYE... meh?

• Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    last year

I get that in pics of the flowers only, many of these roses look similar. However, IME, the flower size, scent, shade/sun tolerance, growth habit including size and thorniness vary tremendously making each most suitable for different spots That said, I would love for them to develop a lavender! : ))

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
    last year

They need a lavender shaped and smelling just like Evelyn...i think that would bring the masses to thier knees lol.

• Sylvia Wendel
    last year

According to HMF, Novalis = Poseidon. Beautiful by any name.

• monarda_gw
    last year

Emily Bronte appears from the photos to have much smaller leaves than Eustacia Vye. Rose blossoms can be really set off by ferny leaves. Also scent may be different. I would like to see these in a botanic garden.

• thekdeanfamily
    last year

i Would love to have Gabrielle Oak next spring. Are the 2021 release public knowledge?

• berrypie7
    last year

I sure hope they have plenty in stock for when the code comes along next year.

• Deborah (10a - Sunset 24)

any idea when these roses will be available?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

The website still shows last years as the 'New Roses'. Probably December or January, whenever the new Catalog is coming out.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Do we know what the new releases in the uk will be? Just curious.

• vickysgarden

Since Eustacia Vye is already sold out on the Austin US website, does anyone know if there is another vendor selling it in the US this year?

• Rose Lai (9b)

vickysgarden: I just checked David Austin website. It looks like Eustacia Vye is back in stock.

• vickysgarden

Rose Lai, thank you so much! I just ordered 1! It had previously shown out of stock, so was surprised by this. I appreciate your sharing the news with me and others!

• Ashley Smith zone 5a

Yay! Thanks for posting that. If I can't have Augusta luise maybe I can get Eustacia Vye🤩

Edit: looks like its showing out of stock again.

• Rose Lai (9b)

Hi Ashley, wow, maybe they only have 1 and vickysgarden got the only 1 back in stock. Perhaps you can email them and ask. If someone cancels their order, you may be able to get it in time.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

I think if other people cancel orders, they become in stock briefly till someone snatches it up lol.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a

I think too thats probably what happens!

• hugogurll

Wonder if these will rebloom in mild climates? It's always a crap shoot with the Austins. That's why I don't jump on them until I get some reports on their actual performance in So Cal. Their color palette these last few years is really blah.

• Ashley Smith zone 5a

I did send them an email and was amazed how fast i got a reply back... just a couple hrs later! No Eustacia until 2022 preorder.

• Diane Brakefield

Sultry, I totally agree with your comment from last year--Austin needs a gorgeous lavender rose that's shaped and smells like Evelyn. I also think Augusta Luise beats Eustacia hands down. Diane

• Diane Brakefield

In lavender, please. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Yes just like that but Lavender!! ♡♡♡

I still need to get Augusta Louise.

I just ordered Eustacia Vye but I think AL is one of the prettiest roses out there.

• Diane Brakefield

Sultry, yes, AL is. I'd like to see her in lavender, too. I guess I'm a purple and lavender nutcase. Diane

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

A Lavender AL might look a tiny bit like Angel Face but way fluffier lol. I wouldnt mind that at all!

• vickysgarden

Oh my, those swirly petals are so, so pretty! Thanks for sharing the picture of AL!

That is quite unique.

• Diane Brakefield

You're welcome, Vicky. AL is very unique. And Sultry, I like your description of a fluffier Angel Face. AF is also a favorite of mine. What a combo of traits. Diane

• BirdsLoveRosesSoCalCoast

Oh my goodness - Diane - your Augusta Louise is to die for!

I have two orders of DA roses coming whenever they can send them and so I have absolutely no room - but just might have to get me an Augusta Louise! I'll squeeze her in somewhere!

• BirdsLoveRosesSoCalCoast

Just looked at HMF - disappointed to see she's a hybrid tea. Not generally a fan of hybrid teas. Is it a nicely shaped bush? Says disease resistance is Good+ What diseases is it susceptible to?

• Diane Brakefield

Thanks Birds. Augusta Luise is not all like a typical hybrid tea. I don't know how large she'll get in SoCal, but she's a big girl here. (I live in zone 7, SW semi arid desert Idaho with hot, dry summers). My roses tend to be large. AL has a lovely, wide growth habit, is very healthy and an excellent bloomer with large fluffy blooms and a nice scent. She is near perfect, I think. Her color varies from light pink to apricots and a little darker, particularly in fall. We don't have fungal rose diseases here--too dry, so roses tend to be very healthy. She's not susceptible to any disease, but none of my roses are. I've grown her since 2013-14. She's grafted on multiflora, was bred by Evers in Germany for Tantau. I purchased her from Hortico, but that was the last year they sold her. She's hard to get. Palatine now sells her, but I think they're sold out. I hope you're able to grow her. Diane

• Diane Brakefield

• BirdsLoveRosesSoCalCoast

Oh you are torturing me with those gorgeous photos!

Ok so now that I decided I HAVE to have it, nobody sells it? Hmmm...will keep looking...

thanks for all the info!

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw

I'm beginning to think that @Diane Brakefield should get a commission for every AL Palentine sells....I know I'll be up early ready to purchase the day their sale goes live next September.

• Diane Brakefield

Librarian, you're not the first person to have said that on this forum. Thanks.

Birds, you're welcome. And thank you, too. Diane

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Planting 2 Gabriel Oak and 1 Eustacia Vye today.

Anyone have any updates on those two?

GOs should get enough sun. EY might end up with 4 hours,

Both are shade tolerant. Not sure exactly what that means, but I'll push the limits to find out.