sherrygirl5

Noid daylilies 2020

Well, here is my last post for awhile, if you have any unidentified daylilies please post their photos. Who knows, you might get an ID. Quote of the day: “ I’m so old I remember when a hashtag was called a pound sign. We played tic-tac-toe on top of it.”

This is the only noid I have now. It’s been in my garden at least 20 years. Right now it’s growing in the absolute worst place in the garden, I’m betting between 1-2 hours of sun, it’s bloom or get composted, it’s still blooming ; )

Sherry

• Nancy 6b

Reminds me a bit of one I used to have, Karen Sue.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • shive

Pretty NOID!

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

I lost my previous post so I'll try again.

We used to grow Karen Sue and it is more a bitone that the one in your picture. Maybe the shade would change its color. Here's our picture of Karen Sue.

This bright red orange is growing in a clump of Bass Gibson. We assume there was a little piece of it included in the plant we bought. As you might imagine, Bob loves the bright color of this one. Now we just need to extricate it from Bass Gibson.

This is one that we have grown for many years. We bought it locally when we were relatively new to daylilies. The woman who sold it said it was Dark Red Georgia, but there is no such registered daylily. Someone on this forum suggested it might be Opera Elegance and I think that is a distinct possibility.

This was a tiny plant that fell off the main tagged plant. It was a gift plant offered at the Region 2 Summer Conference that was held in Indianapolis a couple of years ago.

This was supposed to be Decatur Bullion, which is a golden yellow. The sellers didn't recognize it and thought it might be a seedling growing up in their sales bed. We didn't have many lavenders back then and we have kept it for many years.

We have a few more noids, but I don't have pictures of them yet.

Nancy

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
  • celeste

Over the years most of my noids have been identified, mostly thanks to this forum. But there is still one mystery daylily in my garden that I've had forever and I always forget to add it to our posts because it's tucked away where I barely notice it most years. This past summer I made a point to actually take photos for this post.

It is a little bit over 6 inches, a true pink with a very light eye. I don't even think I've noticed foliage habit but it must be either dormant or semi-evergreen (probably dormant). I have had it for at least 12 or more years and have no recollection of how it came to live in my garden. It's one of those daylilies that I often forget and definitely neglect but that hasn't harmed it. I have thought many times about giving it away but something always stops me. Maybe because it's such a true pink and I don't have that many?

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • Nancy 6b

Well, again I am going to suggest one, for yours Celeste, Jedi Dot Pierce, but probably not it. Description says a rose pink, but the color varied some for me, some years lighter or darker.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Nancy 6b
  • Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

Nan: Like Bob I love that deep orange red color. The color looks similar to Burning Inheritance that I've had for a very long time. It's sunfast/colorfast even here. Blooms midseason for me.

Burning Inheritance maybe????

Sherry: I really like that pink of yours. Nice seersucker pattern to the petals along with the white star midribs. Looks like a keeper to me............Maryl

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
  • lilykate7a

It would take several posts and several days to post all my noids!!! I have mentioned my “legacy beds”, those that were gifted to me by two elderly gardening friends who could no longer care for them. I am pretty sure most of theirs came from Wilds but no names or tags. A couple of years ago, a family situation had me and one of my sisters digging lilies in February before a house sold. While many of these had tags, many were also without tags and even those with were often incorrect when they bloomed! Most of these now reside in my jungle bed. However, I have a few I purchased at some point that I lost ids.

And Celeste, I would indeed hold onto that gorgeous pure pink!

Most if you know my beautiful yellow noid dubbed “Kate’s Smile” because it does make me smile every day it blooms. Bought over 25 years ago and was an “oldie” then as I did not pay much for it.

Here it is again. A clump dug and placed in another part of the garden. This plant is in its second season in this spot. Look at that growth!

Tall and red! Got it in a swap at daylily club years and years ago.

Although occasionally a bloom will look “normal“ like the one in the middle most blooms look like the ones to the left

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked lilykate7a
  • lilykate7a

Just a couple more

love this picture mostly because my beloved garden kitty is behind it. He died in the fall and I will miss him this year helping me garden. Still don’t know what the lily is!

And lastly not a noid as such! This beauty came up in the middle of the clump whose bloom is below it (it is a noid!) I never have bee seedlings but wonder if this is one. Never saw it before last summer. I did dig it up and put it in a special spot!

• signet_gw(6b)

need more info please Sherry . Height , size of bloom , is it sev, ev or dor, etc.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked signet_gw(6b)
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Heather, I should have added the stats, oops! My pink noid is, mid season bloomer, blooms are about 4”, height maybe 22”-24”

Sherry

• celeste

Wow, Nancy! I think you may be right! I just looked up Jedi Dot Pierce and it fits. Good job. It will be nice to give it a name after all these years. I know I never ordered any such daylily and for the life of me can't recall where it came from:)

Kate, your noids are ALL lovely but my favorites are the frilly yellow with the kitty and the last purple. They are keepers for sure. Sorry you lost your sweet garden helper. It is so hard when they leave us.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • sherrygirl zone5 N il

Kate, one of your noids looks like my Wide Wide World, I have two photos. From this season. BTW, love that white ruffle noid!

mine is in mostly shade, blooms about 5”, midseason, plant under 24” tall here.

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

Sherry wondering if your daylily could be Decatur Jewel Seems the stats fit and the image is pretty darn close although a tad darker than your image but wondering if that could be a result of being in the shade. . https://garden.org/plants/view/8507/Daylily-Hemerocallis-Decatur-Jewel/

Lilykate could your deep purple be Vintage Bordeaux Hard to say for certain without stats to help .

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

Maryl, thanks for the suggestion of Burning Inheritance. We grow Burning Inheritance but never thought to compare the two. We'll do that this summer and see what we think.

Nancy

• lilykate7a

Heather, I actually have Vintage Bordeaux in the jungle bed. This one is different. And thanks, Sherry, for the suggestion. What always strikes me about this lily is its almost flat appearance with only an occasional “usual” form bloom. Petals are very wide and rounded. For the most part, since I have so many noids that I know I can never id, it doesn’t bother me not to know the names. I do make an effort to keep better records and graphs now. The noids are nice to have to share with people who just want a pretty lily.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Heather, thanks for the suggestion, I will check that one out.

Kate, I understand your thoughts. The blooms don’t need a name to be beautiful!

Sherry

• Brad KY 6b

Well, I've lost the post twice. I know occasionally a particular picture may cause that, but I had 8 pictures, so which one? I'll try a couple at a time and see what happens.

4, 20 mid. One of the few small ones; so pretty.

5.5 33 mid. We've wrested with this before, but no suggestions were quite right. Maybe this year?

• Brad KY 6b

OK, those 2 were good picture.

7, 29, late. I thought it was orange vols but this forum said otherwise!

5, 30, e

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked Brad KY 6b
  • Brad KY 6b

5.5 21, em very profuse. Got it in the mid 1960s

5.25 30 mid; also from mid 60's

Also from mid 1960's. Lost the stats. I think it is mid, around 6 inches.

• Brad KY 6b

Last post. BTW Kate, I really like that possible bee pollen one. There are lots of nice ones but sadly I don't have any suggestions for anyone. I wish I did.

6, 24, very late.

Not exactly a noid. I got it in a trade many years ago as a bonus. The lady said it is someone's seedling. No where else to post it so here it is. It is very profuse in blooming.

Less than I used to have, thanks to this forum.

Brad

PS are we going to do seedlings sometime? I would especially like to do it when lots of people are back on the forum.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Brad, your last solid yellow look like my Mary Todd.

Why don’t you start a seedling post in May?

Sherry

• signet_gw(6b)

What are we gonna do till May ? Oh My , it means I will be spending more time on websites buying daylilies. At least I will be able to say it's not my fault LOL!

• Brad KY 6b

Sherry,

It sure looks like Mary Todd. MT was registered in 1967; I did get a few daylilies around 1971, so it could be it. Also the hybridizer is Fay; looking at Russell the hybridizer, he worked with Fay. I know I got all my early daylilies from Russell Gardens. They didn't cost much, but back then new stuff wasn't so expensive like now. Thanks Sherry!

I am also going to scroll thru the Russell hybridized daylilies. Most don't seem to have pictures but a few do. Maybe that way I can find others. There are some of my other noids at my father in laws.

Thanks Sherry for the suggestion that led into another idea!
    I may indeed start a Seedling post in May.

Brad

• Brad KY 6b

Well I went through all the pages [126] for russell. I'd say he only had about 25 pictures. He did do some spiders and purples clear back in the 1950. He had some awards too. But no more names through him for me.

• lilykate7a

Well, I am certainly not the person to try to id any lilies!! I have been guilty of buying a daylily I already had! Just a comment, Brad, that I have had 2 lilies with that crepe look on your first yellow: Brocaded Gown and Cool and Crepy. Funny aside: the garden where I bought Cool and Crepy many many years ago had a very fancy tag/stake beside it with Cool and CREEPY on it! (I know many of you have funny stories about your gardening experiences!!)

• signet_gw(6b)

Lilykate , I wonder if your purple could be Beyond Thunderdome? again this is really just a guess without any stats to compare .

• lilykate7a

Sorry, Heather-I don’t remember a lot about this one-it is just there, if you know what I mean! To the best I can recall it is probably 4 to 4.5 (inches) and perhaps 24-28

• celeste

Kate, Signet.... this is my BEYOND THUNDER DOME. The color is close and they look similar but I don't think that's it, based on the measurements you gave. (good guess, though, signet!) BT often has pleating in the throat as well as it is much taller and the blooms larger than what you report. Mine is at least 3 feet tall and the blooms close to 6 inches. It blooms mid-late here. So many early hybridized solid dark purples (like yellows) look similar so it may be hard to pin it down.

If you click on the photo to enlarge it, you can see the pleating.

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked celeste
  • lilykate7a

You are correct, Celeste, about pinning down names, especially the older ones unless there is something distinctive about the bloom. That’s why I don’t worry about trying!! The ones that irritate me (just a little) are the newer ones that critters relocate tags or drag tags off to play with or the gardener forgets to place permanent tags on ....,a sure and certain sign that gardener has too many lilies!!

• shive

I got rid of all my NOIDs last fall, and I'm hoping I don't receive anymore. I don't have any ideas on the identities of those posted.

Debra

sherrygirl zone5 N il thanked shive
  • signet_gw(6b)

Celeste , your image is very interesting and I have never seen the pleating in the throat of this one before . Thanks for sharing that image ( gorgeous by the way !)