bosewichte

Container soil soggy? + Some sprouts...lid off?

bosewichte
17 days ago

This is my first year winter sowing. I saved 30 one-pound plastic spinach containers and used a 1/4" drill bit to drill holes (probably 8 each) on the top and bottom of containers. I used a peat moss/perlite/soil mix. I damped the soil (wet enough to clump together but not soggy) and planted a ton of seeds. Checking it today, I noticed that 4 - 5 of the containers have germination...but I also saw that the soil is absolutely drenched and soggy now. We've had a lot of rain, I guess, and more coming next week. Is it likely that the other seeds will germinate, even with the wet soil? If this is a problem...should I leave the lids off on a dry day to let the soil dry out? Is it too late?!?

With the containers that have germination, the seedlings are no more than 1/4" high. It's not very warm yet, so I was planning on leaving the lids on until they get at least 1/2" tall, and then leave the lid off during warm days...on at night...until nights are sufficiently warm (at least 60 degrees). Is that correct? Thanks for the help!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Loudoun County's Dedicated Roofing & Gutters Pros - Best of Houzz!

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268