Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_dorman51

Knockout Rose's help

Chris Dorman
4 years ago

Hello! I'm pretty new to gardening. I just bought a home and all I have done is buy fruit trees and plants. I bought some knockout roses but they are not doing well. Many of the roses have turned brown and fallen off after planting them 3 weeks ago (maybe this is normal?).
I test the soil moisture level every other day and everytime I do it reads dry. I have been watering 3 to 4 days a week for a good long soak but the soil reads dry.
The soil was very sandy when I planted them. Almost all sand. I added a lot of gardening mix to the holes when I planted them but I'm sure there is still a lot of sand.
How can I get the soil to hold more moisture? Do I need to dig them up (I just planted them about 3 weeks ago) and put more garden mix down? Can I just add a layer of garden mix around them as a top layer?
I also added a layer of mulch when I planted them but it didn't seem to help. I now pulled the mulch away from the roses so that I can water the soil directly.
I'm kind of at a loss at this point. I live in northeast Florida and any help would be great. Thanks!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting