jstropic

Hippeastrum Hybrids

jstropic (10a)
3 months ago

Please share pictures of your hybrids with known parents. Thanks :)

Comments (64)

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

I think I liked the other sibling a little more but I'm not totally sure.

The orange I call just orange little sister because it so much smaller than Abendhimmel and Rahel but I like your name. And of course I want to know your name for the fragrant beauty.

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
    Best Answer
  • catsandhippies
    3 months ago

I love the first one but the second is nice too. Looks a lot like the father. Does it have the same color or is it more orange? All the crosses I tried with Terra Mystica failed, so its good to know that at least the pollen is fertile.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Anja, it is more orange than Terra Mystica. It should be interesting to see how the other seedlings turn out although this is the only one to flower so far.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is Junihitoe x Blossom Peacock . So far the vibrant colors of Junihitoe have been dominant in selfings and crosses. There is another seedling from this cross with a scape, so we will see if she makes a liar of me lol. Oh, no scent from this seedling :(

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    3 months ago

This is an enigma as I see nothing of either parent. I was attempting to get the coloration of Tres Chic, with the large flower size of the solid white.

TRES CHIC

Maybe one of the other seedlings will bless me with that flower :)

• Fred Biasella
    3 months ago

Quite pretty though :-)))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • catsandhippies
    2 months ago

Jody, I guess I'm in love with all the single children of Junihitoe :-))) Please keep them coming!

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Anja, that's how I feel! I love all the crosses from her. Darling will be flowering soon and is the only one, so far, that is different.

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

This is also a child of Exotica (Gervaise x Exotica). Flowers are rather small but I like the orange color.

This is the second seedling of H554 x Santiago flowering. It has only two flowers and is quite fragrant.

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Oh, I love the H554 x Santiago cross!! And fragrant..it has it all!

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Oh Anja, c’est tres magnifique! I am in love, really. The intensity of orange! Did you name it? If not yet... Orange Vanity? And this little flagrant beauty, I love the shape! It reminds me of the heilroom I used to grow as a child. I have a name for it, in case you need one

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Thumbelina, like the Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale

I love her brother (or sister?!) too!

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

I think Orange Little Sister is an appropriate name

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Both names are perfect and what a nice homage to Hans Christian Andersen :-))))

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

Thank you Vlad! I will call her Däumelinchen which is the German name of Thumbelina. But then her sister (or brother?) needs a name too...

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

How about Flamboyant?

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

Well, I think that this flower is too quiet to be called Flamboyant. How about Spring dancer? Trumpets always remind me of dancers.

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

I like Spring Dancer!

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

I only had two seedlings from the Chico x Desire cross, this is the second. Very similar to the first. A large flower, larger than my hand.

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Love it, I wonder if it can marry Chico

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

Very beautiful and a back cross to Chico sounds like it would produce exotic looking offspring.

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

This is really lovely, Jody! Beautiful shape and color. And of course it would be interesting to see what happens when you cross it with Chico...

• Will McBrayer
    2 months ago

I can't be for sure what cultivars/varieties/species were used for this original cross because I got the original bulbs off a clearance rack at Walmart 7-8 years ago. However, I think the packaging was from South Africa, so they are likely a part of the Sonatini Series. In general the bulbs reach 2-2.5" diameter and bloom on the 3rd year from seed. I have several generations of seedlings now, since I started crossing the first year I had them. Here is one of the more unique blooms:

Below is my current 1 year old seedlings beside some of the the parents breeding project:

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    2 months ago

That is stunning Will!! Love the striping and white star!

I will try to breed the Chico x Desire cross back to Chico. Let's hope that it takes ! This has been a strange year for blooms. They usually all bloom close together, but not this year. How about everyone else?

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Same here, very weird. I have blooms already in November, while some are just showing up their scapes now

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

Will,

Your garden looks like a wonderland in the sunshine :-)))) Thanks for posting a such a beautiful picture :-))))

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

Well, it's a sunny, warm and beautiful day in Cambridge and this beauty just fully opened today.

Green & Saturn

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

This is really gorgeous, Fred! Who are the parents?

• berkeleysgr8
    2 months ago

Green & Saturn is gorgeous! What crosses will you be trying with this one?

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • bulbinabox
    2 months ago

I think this is a Japanese hybrid

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

It's a Komoriya hybrid and I don't know it's parents but I suspect Aulicum and either Yungacense or Mandonii. It was very graciously gifted to me a few years back and this is her second flowering. I don't know what to cross with it? Most of my crossing attempts this year fizzled out :-((( with the exception of Terra Cotta Star x self and Flamenco Queen x H1807 that I literally just harvested. Any suggestions would be wonderfully appreciated.

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Santiago, Exotic Star, Chico and Spotlight

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

I have Exotic Star, Chico, Evergreen, Papilio and I suppose I could self it but with only two blooms to work with, it's gonna be a tough choice. Thank you for the suggestion :-)))))

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

:p Chico and Exotic Star for me

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

Well then, I'll take Chico and Exotic Star out of the freezer and get pollinating tomorrow :-))))

• berkeleysgr8
    2 months ago

When there is a choice, I always vote for H papilio! I recently had a La Paz in bloom and used "fridge pollen 1" and "fridge pollen 2" to try to get a nice cross. One is papilio pollen, the other is Evergreen. I didn't mark them, so I don't know which is which! It is too early to tell if either of the "fridge" pollens were successful!

• Fred Biasella
    2 months ago

I just looked in the fridge and realized that I don't have any more Chico or Exotic Star but I do have papilio and Evergreen, so I think I'll try them instead.

• berkeleysgr8
    2 months ago

Evergreen might boost the flower count! H papilio seems to always create beautiful children. Both options would be great!

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

H. papilio for me!

• catsandhippies
    2 months ago

Booth options sound good, Fred! I cross my fingers...

• Will McBrayer
    2 months ago

Do you guys have success using Exotic Star as the seed parent? I have used it as the pollen parent and made a few successful crosses. As the seed parent, most of the pods have aborted. The few that have taken for me only produced a couple viable seeds.

jstropic (10a) thanked Will McBrayer
  • bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Yes, as a seed parent I have experiemced it the same: only a few viable seeds, if any at all

• bulbinabox
    2 months ago

Will, looked at your garden pictures again, such a paradise. Please keep them coming

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Giraffe x Neon

• bulbinabox
    15 days ago

Such a lovely shape!

• berkeleysgr8
    15 days ago

Gorgeous! I love the frilly edges. I definitely wouldn't have guessed the parents on this one!

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    14 days ago
    last modified: 14 days ago

Thanks, this one surprised me too! I wondered if it would get a brighter color in subsequent flowering as this was a maiden bloom, but then I noticed that the second flower started out green turning fully white in about 3 days. So it should be interesting to see what happens in later flowering - I hope it keeps the intense frills!!

Once I catch up with all the gardening, I should have some seeds from crosses I made this year to share, I will let you know what they are.

• catsandhippies
    13 days ago

Very nice! I guess it would be more colorful with cooler temperatures but I like the white a lot. Congratulations!

• jstropic (10a)
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Anja, I also wonder if the color will be different on the second blooming. Also, it has been incredibly hot here and I wondered if that had anything to do with the color. This will be interesting to watch as it starts out green (now I'm sorry I didn't take a picture), and changes from green to white over a couple of days. Well as long as it keeps it's frills, I will be happy!!!!

• catsandhippies
    12 days ago

Well Jody, I get the most intense colors on my flowers in spring when I put the bulb outside so that they can enjoy bright sunlight and cool night temperatures. Please keep us posted about next years flowering of that little treasure. Fingers crossed for the frills...