jstropic

Hippeastrum Hybrids

jstropic (10a)

Please share pictures of your hybrids with known parents. Thanks :)

• catsandhippies

I think I liked the other sibling a little more but I'm not totally sure.

The orange I call just orange little sister because it so much smaller than Abendhimmel and Rahel but I like your name. And of course I want to know your name for the fragrant beauty.

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
    Best Answer
  • catsandhippies

I love the first one but the second is nice too. Looks a lot like the father. Does it have the same color or is it more orange? All the crosses I tried with Terra Mystica failed, so its good to know that at least the pollen is fertile.

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • jstropic (10a)

Anja, it is more orange than Terra Mystica. It should be interesting to see how the other seedlings turn out although this is the only one to flower so far.

• jstropic (10a)

This is Junihitoe x Blossom Peacock . So far the vibrant colors of Junihitoe have been dominant in selfings and crosses. There is another seedling from this cross with a scape, so we will see if she makes a liar of me lol. Oh, no scent from this seedling :(

• jstropic (10a)

This is an enigma as I see nothing of either parent. I was attempting to get the coloration of Tres Chic, with the large flower size of the solid white.

TRES CHIC

Maybe one of the other seedlings will bless me with that flower :)

• Fred Biasella

Quite pretty though :-)))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • catsandhippies

Jody, I guess I'm in love with all the single children of Junihitoe :-))) Please keep them coming!

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • jstropic (10a)

Anja, that's how I feel! I love all the crosses from her. Darling will be flowering soon and is the only one, so far, that is different.

• catsandhippies

This is also a child of Exotica (Gervaise x Exotica). Flowers are rather small but I like the orange color.

This is the second seedling of H554 x Santiago flowering. It has only two flowers and is quite fragrant.

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • jstropic (10a)

Oh, I love the H554 x Santiago cross!! And fragrant..it has it all!

• bulbinabox

Oh Anja, c’est tres magnifique! I am in love, really. The intensity of orange! Did you name it? If not yet... Orange Vanity? And this little flagrant beauty, I love the shape! It reminds me of the heilroom I used to grow as a child. I have a name for it, in case you need one

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • bulbinabox

Thumbelina, like the Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale

I love her brother (or sister?!) too!

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • bulbinabox

I think Orange Little Sister is an appropriate name

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • Fred Biasella

Both names are perfect and what a nice homage to Hans Christian Andersen :-))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • catsandhippies

Thank you Vlad! I will call her Däumelinchen which is the German name of Thumbelina. But then her sister (or brother?) needs a name too...

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • bulbinabox

How about Flamboyant?

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • catsandhippies

Well, I think that this flower is too quiet to be called Flamboyant. How about Spring dancer? Trumpets always remind me of dancers.

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • bulbinabox

I like Spring Dancer!

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • jstropic (10a)

I only had two seedlings from the Chico x Desire cross, this is the second. Very similar to the first. A large flower, larger than my hand.

• bulbinabox

Love it, I wonder if it can marry Chico

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • Fred Biasella

Very beautiful and a back cross to Chico sounds like it would produce exotic looking offspring.

• catsandhippies

This is really lovely, Jody! Beautiful shape and color. And of course it would be interesting to see what happens when you cross it with Chico...

• Will McBrayer

I can't be for sure what cultivars/varieties/species were used for this original cross because I got the original bulbs off a clearance rack at Walmart 7-8 years ago. However, I think the packaging was from South Africa, so they are likely a part of the Sonatini Series. In general the bulbs reach 2-2.5" diameter and bloom on the 3rd year from seed. I have several generations of seedlings now, since I started crossing the first year I had them. Here is one of the more unique blooms:

Below is my current 1 year old seedlings beside some of the the parents breeding project:

• jstropic (10a)

That is stunning Will!! Love the striping and white star!

I will try to breed the Chico x Desire cross back to Chico. Let's hope that it takes ! This has been a strange year for blooms. They usually all bloom close together, but not this year. How about everyone else?

• bulbinabox

Same here, very weird. I have blooms already in November, while some are just showing up their scapes now

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • Fred Biasella

Will,

Your garden looks like a wonderland in the sunshine :-)))) Thanks for posting a such a beautiful picture :-))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • Fred Biasella

Well, it's a sunny, warm and beautiful day in Cambridge and this beauty just fully opened today.

Green & Saturn

• catsandhippies

This is really gorgeous, Fred! Who are the parents?

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • berkeleysgr8

Green & Saturn is gorgeous! What crosses will you be trying with this one?

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • bulbinabox

I think this is a Japanese hybrid

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • Fred Biasella

It's a Komoriya hybrid and I don't know it's parents but I suspect Aulicum and either Yungacense or Mandonii. It was very graciously gifted to me a few years back and this is her second flowering. I don't know what to cross with it? Most of my crossing attempts this year fizzled out :-((( with the exception of Terra Cotta Star x self and Flamenco Queen x H1807 that I literally just harvested. Any suggestions would be wonderfully appreciated.

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • bulbinabox

Santiago, Exotic Star, Chico and Spotlight

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • Fred Biasella

I have Exotic Star, Chico, Evergreen, Papilio and I suppose I could self it but with only two blooms to work with, it's gonna be a tough choice. Thank you for the suggestion :-)))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • bulbinabox

:p Chico and Exotic Star for me

• Fred Biasella

Well then, I'll take Chico and Exotic Star out of the freezer and get pollinating tomorrow :-))))

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • berkeleysgr8

When there is a choice, I always vote for H papilio! I recently had a La Paz in bloom and used "fridge pollen 1" and "fridge pollen 2" to try to get a nice cross. One is papilio pollen, the other is Evergreen. I didn't mark them, so I don't know which is which! It is too early to tell if either of the "fridge" pollens were successful!

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • Fred Biasella

I just looked in the fridge and realized that I don't have any more Chico or Exotic Star but I do have papilio and Evergreen, so I think I'll try them instead.

jstropic (10a) thanked Fred Biasella
  • berkeleysgr8

Evergreen might boost the flower count! H papilio seems to always create beautiful children. Both options would be great!

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • bulbinabox

H. papilio for me!

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • catsandhippies

Booth options sound good, Fred! I cross my fingers...

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • Will McBrayer

Do you guys have success using Exotic Star as the seed parent? I have used it as the pollen parent and made a few successful crosses. As the seed parent, most of the pods have aborted. The few that have taken for me only produced a couple viable seeds.

jstropic (10a) thanked Will McBrayer
  • bulbinabox

Yes, as a seed parent I have experiemced it the same: only a few viable seeds, if any at all

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • bulbinabox

Will, looked at your garden pictures again, such a paradise. Please keep them coming

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • jstropic (10a)

Giraffe x Neon

• bulbinabox

Such a lovely shape!

jstropic (10a) thanked bulbinabox
  • berkeleysgr8

Gorgeous! I love the frilly edges. I definitely wouldn't have guessed the parents on this one!

jstropic (10a) thanked berkeleysgr8
  • jstropic (10a)

Thanks, this one surprised me too! I wondered if it would get a brighter color in subsequent flowering as this was a maiden bloom, but then I noticed that the second flower started out green turning fully white in about 3 days. So it should be interesting to see what happens in later flowering - I hope it keeps the intense frills!!

Once I catch up with all the gardening, I should have some seeds from crosses I made this year to share, I will let you know what they are.

• catsandhippies

Very nice! I guess it would be more colorful with cooler temperatures but I like the white a lot. Congratulations!

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies
  • jstropic (10a)

Anja, I also wonder if the color will be different on the second blooming. Also, it has been incredibly hot here and I wondered if that had anything to do with the color. This will be interesting to watch as it starts out green (now I'm sorry I didn't take a picture), and changes from green to white over a couple of days. Well as long as it keeps it's frills, I will be happy!!!!

• catsandhippies

Well Jody, I get the most intense colors on my flowers in spring when I put the bulb outside so that they can enjoy bright sunlight and cool night temperatures. Please keep us posted about next years flowering of that little treasure. Fingers crossed for the frills...

jstropic (10a) thanked catsandhippies