Software
Houzz Logo Print
maisie6b

Garden Tool organization

6 years ago

Does anyone have garden tool organization systems or approaches to share? I have been looking online. Pictures of workshop organization seem to be about function, accessibility and safety. It seems like garden tool organization online is more about pretty pictures. I’m not looking for ideas on how to artfully arrange one shiny trowel and a charming straw hat (as much as these make delightful pictures)


I’m looking for advice (and pictures if possible) of how to set up a really functional system for a fairly small space that keeps tools at hand, in good shape and reduce the risk of a spade falling and whacking my foot. Small tool storage, storage for soil and soil amendments, as well as pots and trays are also deeply appreciated.

Comments (7)

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I use a variety of wall hooks for hanging tools, especially the U shaped ones that hold the tools upside down with the handle slotting into the U. A large Rubbermaid shelving unit which is slatted and 5 shelves high holds sprinklers, pots, potting soil etc. A heavy duty 5 gallon plastic bucket screwed to the wall holds unused hoses draped over it in loose coils so they don’t get kinked.

    maisie6b thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • 6 years ago

    Neat and clean is the way to keep all garden tools. Hanging on a wall is a great way to keep things visible and easy to find. I have a basket I use for things that I use all the time and shelving for liquid things, pots and seedling stuff. I have a few Rubbermaid containers for extra soils, soil conditioners and pine barks. I also have a slotted stand for brooms, rakes and what nots. Have fun organizing. I try to keep my area clean but you know how that goes when busy in the yard. I do always clean up and reorganize in fall. It helps to keeps thing ready for the next spring. 😀

    maisie6b thanked Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I used the Gladiator system for my garden shed. It is available from Lowe’s, Amazon, etc. There are various pieces to hang tools of different sizes, baskets for smaller stuff, shelves, stackable bins, etc. It may not have been the cheapest option but I like the look and flexibility of it. Soils, amendments, etc are kept in Rubbermaid storage tubs (not shown) while an old IKEA shelving unit (already had) holds decor items and chemicals.

    maisie6b thanked edenchild
  • 6 years ago

    Thanks all, this gives me a good sense of how to get started. Part of the challenge is I store tools in a small masonry walled space, so not easy to drive nails.

    Edenchild I love the hat in your photo. That is a real gardener’s hat and space!

  • 6 years ago

    Maisie6b, sorry no shiny trowels to put next to the hat🙂. Everything in my shed has to work hard.

  • 6 years ago

    Maisie, if you can get someone with skills and the appropriate tools to fasten a couple of 2x4s to the wall, one high and one low, then you can arrange hooks etc for tools as needed. The house I grew up in had masonry garage walls and the original owner had done that which allowed for ample tool storage.