Software
Houzz Logo Print
sjrosenberg

CHI planks garage door. What to do with front door

6 years ago

I am replacing my garage door with the CHI planks garage door in the cedar wood tone look. It will have frosted glass on the right side (like in the pic) What should I do with my front door and shutters. Try to find a front door with horizontal frosted glass to match? Pint it a different color, not a wood look? I clearly need help. Thanks in advance



Comments (20)

  • 6 years ago

    The front door and the shutters should match the garage door in materials, style and color. You could add some wood to the porch.

  • 6 years ago

    I like your house the way it is .. If you want shutters at least make the large enough to cover the Windows ..otherwise take them off .

  • 6 years ago

    Are you going for Mid century modern?

    That garage door and then a coordinating black door (with windows or not, but modern). You could even do a bright orange or yellow or your choice front door. Remove the shutters. Go modern on the landscaping.

  • 6 years ago

  • 6 years ago

    If you choose the garage door with the windows, the shutters fight that style. They don’t enhance the house. Your door can match in type of wood, or as suggested above, go MCM with orange or turquoise or red.

  • PRO
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Thatt stlye garage door does not belong on a house with shutters so those need to go. I would do a front door that matches the garage door and then go to work on doing some MCM landscaping.You could even do a door style like the lime one but in the same wood as the garage door, These are just 2 examples of MCM landscaping which will suit the house



  • PRO
    6 years ago

    The shutters need to go. Here are few MCM houses with CHI doors I have worked on.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for all of the comments, people!! I clearly needed more help than I thought 🤦‍♂️. I never thought about taking the shutters off, but that makes sense. So, garage door and a matching front door, lose all the shutters.....I’m probably not going to re landscape, at least not right now.

    What else?

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    If you want to go more mid-mod, explore house number and light fixture options. And, of course, landscaping when you’re ready for it.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Your house is a great candidate for mcm, but if that’s not what you’re going for, think about choosing a different garage door to avoid the design cascade.

  • 6 years ago

    **UPDATE** I have removed the shutters, ordered new lights and house numbers (shown in pics). I think the lights will compliment the frosted windows on the new garage door.
    Thinking about landscaping changes.... Thanks for all of the input, everyone!




  • 6 years ago

    Good sign choices. Perhaps the black numbers will complement the new fixtures.

  • 6 years ago

    Can you remove the grids from your windows? They’re fighting with the more modern look you’re trying to achieve.

  • 6 years ago

    I couldn’t remove the grids from the windows without getting all new glass packs, they are in between the 2 panes of glass. I did get the lights and numbers up. Waiting on the garage door to be delivered.

  • 6 years ago

    Just thought I’d share the final result. You guys have all been great with your suggestions. Thank you!!

  • 6 years ago

    I also added these planter pots by the front door for some accents. Just need to decide what to put on them now. 🤔

  • 6 years ago

    The door is gorgeous! Love the planters as well.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you 🙏

  • 6 years ago

    Way to go. Really nice job!