Software
Houzz Logo Print
sara_alms

shade cloth %? What to use in full sun

6 years ago

First post here. I will be moving my hoyas outside for the summer here in Minnesota to take advantage of our short growing season. I do not have a naturally shaded area to hang them so they are going on poles hanging on the east side or my studio. They will get direct sun from early morning to about 2:30 in the afternoon. I have a frame set up to hook some shade cloth on and want to know the best percentage to use. I have both 40 and 50% panels. I want them to receive as much sun as possible without burning the leaves. Any advise would be great. Thanks. Sara

Comments (9)

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Sarah. Welcome to our little forum and the wacky, wonderful world of Hoyas!


    I'd probably go with the 40 percent shade cloth. Hoyas do like a little bit of sun (helps them flower). Given your northern locale, They might be fine without it, but if you feel more comfortable with it, then by all means go for it! I put mine out every summer in dappled/mostly shade and they LOVE it. They appreciate the heat and humidity (and fertilizer, if you have it-personally, I use MG Tomato Food, and they really respond to it!). But I digress. I hope this helps!


    Out of curiosity, what Hoyas do you grow?


    Brad AKA Moonwolf

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you Brad, yes this helps a lot. I was also thinking the 40% would be best. I have accumulated quite a few hoyas in the 9 months I have been collecting them. Hoya incrassata, Mt-02, Thomsonii, Calycina plain and stargazer, Australis plain and tenupies, acuta pink, verticillata variegated, parasitica lao 2, hoya mathilde, fungii, motoski, Juannguoana, nummularioides, EPC 376, naumanii, sp.33 AP-1054, lacunosa, sunrise, mirabilis, estrellaensis (estrella waterfall), cumingiana, Jennifer, Rebecca, publicalyx pink silver, obscura, sp. SR 2007-13 Phukradeung Loei Province, EPC 620, griffithii. WHEW! I may have forgotten one or two. I have a few that did not like normal house conditions and perished. The rest are doing quite well in the extremely chunky mix I transplanted them in. Strange though, that most vendors send them in very fine soil, stays wet for a month or so in the winter, bad. Anyway, please make me stop. I have so many more questions, will address later. Thanks again. Sara

  • 6 years ago

    Wow that's quite a collection! Keep us posted on their Summer camp. I have traditionally put quite a few houseplants outside for the summer. They do seem to love it. The only downside is bringing them back inside. They seem to pout quite a bit and it's sometimes hard to be sure they don't bring pests with them. But they really do love it.

  • 6 years ago

    I will post an image after I get them out when weather stays warmish. The shop they will return to in the autumn is a renovated grainery/now studio. It is not super tight and I get a ton of ladybugs inside, or the asian variety of them. They actually live in the pots and climb all over the plant when the sun comes out. Never had problems with pests. So my BIG question is: I want to promote flowering by putting them outside in the heat and light, but then want to bring in the ones that form buds into my shop to enjoy the flowers and mostly fragrance. From my short experience and from reading, this will probably cause bud blast. Is there a way around this or a way of timing it so this does not happen. I have had bud blast from just turning the hoya in the window for even sun exposure. Thanks again all for your input. Sara

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    El sol del amanecer les va a encantar.

    Vista desde el interior del apartamento


    sara alms thanked Pepeuve Garcia
  • 6 years ago

    Hi Sara,

    Pls try again, as your pic didn't attach. If you haven't already, pls try the Photo icon below, left.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks

    karen. Trying to get it to work, hopefully this time. Sara



  • 6 years ago

    You did it, hello, welcome aboard. You can see we're big Hoya lovers here.

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars40 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21
More Discussions