mtnrdredux_gw

Grout cleaning and sealing

mtnrdredux_gw

Three of our bathrooms have white hex porcelain tile. The grout is very light. These bathrooms were all built new 10 yrs ago.

During Q we have not had our regular cleaning help, and so I have been doing a lot of cleaning. I noticed (for the first time) that the grout color is not uniform in these bathrooms, meaning some areas are dirty even though they appear clean. So i bought grout cleaner and scrubbed the grout lines, but with 1" hex tile you can imagine how much fun that is. I used a steam mop, but that did nothing, unless I used the grout attachment, which is really just scrubbing on hands and knees, too.

I ended up deciding to call in Stanley Steemer, which is very inexpensive ($144 for 3 bathrooms) and will be here tomorrow. The catch is ..... do I hire them to do grout sealer?

They offer 2 choices:

Clear seal is an invisible layer of protection that penetrates into the pores of the grout. (adds ~$100 to the quote) Color seal is an acrylic-based barrier that covers the grout line and is 100% water proof, so dirt and spills wipe right off it. We can match almost any color and it lasts about 2-3 times longer than the clear seal. (adds ~$300 to the quote)

These bathroom s don't get particularly punishing use and are in very good shape. For example, we have no mold or mildew. So IDK. Should we just seal the grout ourselves?

Loudon County's Elite Home Remodelers