Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pippacovalent

So many things blooming!

pippacovalent
3 years ago

It's been such a great start to the rose season. Not only are my new baby roses just planted last year blooming, but so are the old ones that came with my house.

Comments (25)

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This one is old and came with the house...I believe that its Pristine.

Francis Dubreuil aka Barcelona

Another oldie that came with the house...I believe this one is Garden Party.

This one came with the house and I have no clue its identity.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Grandmother's Hat

The Poet's Wife

At Last

Crazy Love

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Darcey Bussell's first bloom ever.

Princess Victoria Louise poppy

Leda

Twilight Zone

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

Pippa you have such fabulous roses! I am about Crazy Love

pippacovalent thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago

Pippa, help me pick a favourite! Barcelona, always, but Leda is so charming! CL is as pretty as all her pictures. Congrats on your 1st DB bloom also. I think I recognize your NOID, but I can't recall the name. Such a joy and thrill! What do normal people do for fun?

pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • dianela7analabama
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Love them Pippa so much! I had to stop reading and go look up Leda because it is so beautiful. I love them all, but Crazy Love is looking extremely perfect. Grandmothers Hat is always lovely and Barcelona is my kind of red. The peony and poppy also awesome, I have tried poppies before with zero luck.

pippacovalent thanked dianela7analabama
  • pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Vaporvac.. Leda is new like most of my roses so this is my first time seeing her blooms and they are so much more gorgeous than any photos I had seen of her. She is definitely one of my favorites. She is similar to Rose de Rescht in that her blooms are packed with petals but are petite. They are holding up beautifully in the heat and they get fluffy after a few days too.

Thanks for the kind words everyone...I took such a leap of faith with the number of roses I added last year so it's just thrilling to see so many blooms !!!

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dianela...I feel that way about Leda too. It was sort of an impulse purchase and there aren't a ton of great photos out there, so when she started blooming I've just been doing double takes because of how pretty her blooms are. They are so much nicer than I imagined and even prettier in person.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Kristine isn't Crazy Love a fun rose? The colors are so variable and they change daily.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Pippa - love them!!! I'm amazed at how much I love Leda! Very pretty! Is your NOID Miss All American Beauty?

pippacovalent thanked rosecanadian
  • Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Is your no ID perhaps Maria Callas or Intrigue?

pippacovalent thanked Vaporvac Z6-OhioRiverValley
  • pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The noid is definitely not Maria Callas...and I know because I have her already in a different part of the yard and the noid is very different. The blooms on the noid start out red and then fade pink in the heat.

Here is another Leda bloom...see how fluffy they can get?

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is the noid this morning. I think my camera did a better job of getting the colors right.

• sara_ann-z6bok
    3 years ago

Pippacovalent, you have some beautiful roses! Your Crazy Love is gorgeous! Mine has been blooming a lot, but the blooms aren’t as lovely as yours!

pippacovalent thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • the_bustopher z6 MO
    3 years ago

You have some interesting pictures here. I am trying Crazy Love this year, but it hasn't bloomed yet. Thanks for the look. The Leda pictures are pretty. That rose is also known as Painted Damask in case you didn't know. Your first picture is definitely not Pristine. Pristine is white with some pink shadings around the petal edges and has a different look to the flowers. There are some nice pictures of it in the Help Me Find files. Pristine also has another quirk. If you cut it and refrigerate it or even if you leave it on the bush on a cold night, it will blow open really quickly when it comes out of the fridge or the weather warms up.

pippacovalent thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
    3 years ago

Pippa - Such beautiful roses!! You're Crazy Love and Twilight Zone are absolute stunners!!

pippacovalent thanked Glimmer of Hope (9b, inland SoCal)
  • seil zone 6b MI
    3 years ago

They look fabulous, Pippa! I have a pink poppy like yours too! Iwonder if its the same variety?

pippacovalent thanked seil zone 6b MI
  • pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Seil ...it does look a lot like my poppy maybe it is the same variety. There are several that look similar too. Either way yours is gorgeous...I love all poppies but especially the oriental poppies.

Thanks everyone for the compliments....my like button and thanks button don't work anymore...grrr...houzz.

Morden Sunrise

First ever bloom of my Golden Celebration

Compassion

Gruss an Aachen

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The bustopher...

You're right it doesn't look like Pristine but what's weird is last fall when it was blooming it look exactly like it. It was identical in every way to all the Pristine photos. Now this spring it looks totally different so I'm completely at a loss...LOL.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Pippa - GASP!!!!! Why did I not know until recently how beautiful Leda is??? Stunning!! And I love your noid...mmmmm Lovely GC and Gruss!!

pippacovalent thanked rosecanadian
  • titian1 10b Sydney
    3 years ago

Pippa, they're all beautiful. It must be wonderful to go out in the morning, and see what else is happening!

pippacovalent thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • totoro z7b Md
    3 years ago

Crazy love reminds me of Alchymist blooms.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Totoro...I just planted Alchymist this spring but it hasn't bloomed yet...I'm so excited!

Thanks Titian1...it really is...our whole family goes out around 7 am to see what has bloomed! My preschooler leads the pack LOL.

• pippacovalent
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay my Pristine mystery has been solved. Apparently the prior owners have Pristine planted right up against another rose. I saw the Pristine bud start opening today....

And its it's right against all these different blooms from aan d hybrid tea I haven't identified yet...