Software
Houzz Logo Print
jmdkc

Organizing Kitchen

6 years ago

We are moving into our new home this weekend! I love to stay super organized and efficient in the kitchen. This kitchen has more storage than where we are coming from—which is awesome but also a bit overwhelming to figure out. I’d love to hear ideas as to how to organize the kitchen cabinets/drawers. Where would you put your dishes (we have lots of them that we use regularly), glasses, food storage containers, sippy cups/toddler plates, serving bowls/platters, silverware, etc, etc, etc. We also have a nice walk in pantry that I plan to store all of our dry goods in (and possibly some large appliances if I have room). Thanks for the ideas and suggestions!

Comments (16)

  • 6 years ago

    If you're aiming to pack the most stuff into the area you have, what you do is measure everything. You can make a chart and list things that are under 1" high, 2" high, 3" high, and so on up to about 13". Then see where you have the space to put each thing where it best fits. If you are stacking something, then measure the stacked height. It sounds rudimentary, but believe me, it works. You'd be surprised how many things can fit in a small drawer that you thought would be too big, but they aren't by a quarter inch or whatever.

    If you have more space than you could possibly need, then a second method of organizing is to simply map out your "zones" of work and put things you use most for those tasks nearest where they will be used. This is a more popular approach, but it won't maximize your space as well as the first option.

  • 6 years ago

    Too bad they didn't make all your lower cabinets into drawers. That is the best way to store things. Do the lower cabinets have any pull-out or roll-outs? If they don't you might want to look into adding some, so you don't have to get on your knees to get stuff out from the bottom/back of the cabinets.

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks for these suggestions! One of the things I can’t decide on is if whether or not I should put the dishes and glasses near the dishwasher for easy unloading or put the the dishes near the the stove/oven for easy plating and the glasses near the refrigerator water dispenser.

  • 6 years ago

    I would definitely put the dishes by the dishwasher rather than the stove. When you plate you are only using a few plates, but when you empty the dishwasher you have a full load of them. Do the glasses have to be an either/or? Could you put some near the refrigerator and the rest by the dishwasher? If not, keeping them by the fridge would help keep the kids/guests out of the main flow of the kitchen if they want a drink. I feel that one mark of a well planned/organized kitchen is that someone outside the family could use it and find things where they would “expect” them rather than have to open a multitude of cabinets and drawers. Measuring is a great help - especially for storage of larger items like pots and pans, but I would also suggest just standing in the kitchen and walking through your day. As you map out your normal day (and maybe also a “party” day), where would you expect to find the things you need? Don’t overthink it - just see where you naturally gravitate - that can be a starting point. Also, I agree that you shouldn’t feel like what you decide now has to be forever - live in the kitchen for six months to a year and reassess.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Congratulations on your new home. It's a beautiful kitchen.

    Don't worry about where things are. You can always re-arrange them after you have been in the house a while.

    Think about your last kitchen. What did you like and what did you hate? In my previous kitchen, I used to say that I wished I had the coffee mugs in the cabinet over the coffee maker. I didn't because I had the glasses there because of the proximity to the dishwasher and sink. But in my new house, I changed the height of the shelves and now my mugs and coffee pods are in the cabinet over the coffee maker. Instant coffee station! In my new house I separated the utensils I use frequently from those I need only occasionally. The frequently used utensils are right by the work area and the others are in drawers a little out of the way, but no big deal for the occasional use.

    I'm not using my new kitchen the way I thought I would.

    I rarely use the island to prep. It's much easier to prep near the sink. I use the island more as a staging area. It's close to my DW so I put my dishes in the drawers under the island. I hadn't planned on that.

  • 6 years ago

    @abcdlatham Love the idea of putting most glasses by the dishwasher and still keeping some by the fridge for guests. Thanks!

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    If I were a guest in someone's home, I would assume dishes/glasses/cups are near the DW, unless there is an obvious coffee/drinks center. But---

    I've had occasion to house sit for my elderly neighbor several times, and I always clean the kitchen, as a favor. There is no rhyme or reason to her kitchen organization, that I can figure out, but I'm sure it makes sense, to her.

    IMO it's better to unload everything in one location as abcdlatham
    mentioned, and let the guests and single users retrieve their own pieces
    of dishware as needed.

  • 6 years ago

    Great suggestions! And what about that upper corner cabinet? I’m thinking a lazy Susan with oils on it for the bottom shelf. What about the other 2 shelves?

  • 6 years ago

    Thanks Lulu Smith! Appreciate all the insight. Especially around the coffee station. I was going to put coffee station on counter next to fridge, but now I’m considering how far away the dishwasher is from where I will be storing my mugs.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I don't think there will be a problem with the coffee maker beside the fridge. If you use refrigerated cream/milk in your coffee, it makes sense. You retrieve a mug from your dish storage and carry it across the room. If you are like me, you use the same mug through-out the day, or if you limit yourself to one cup of coffee each morning--one and done. If you have a guest, take two mugs, or if you are expecting a group, put the mugs, cream, sugar, spoons, on a tray on the corner of the island, so everyone can help himself.

  • 6 years ago

    I drink my coffee black so no need for the fridge or milk. I also use a fresh mug every time I have coffee. So it's very convenient to have everything by the DW.

  • 6 years ago

    I always organize by zones.
    Dishes by the dishwasher and closest route to the dinner table.
    Glasses by the sink, near the dishes.
    Pots and pans in lower cabinets by stove, with spices in cupboard next to the stove.
    Baking center on the othet side of the stove with quick reach to mixing spoons, spatulas, and flours, sugars and baking dishes.
    Coffee mugs next to the coffee maker make perfect sense.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    May I suggest that you do the best you can with arranging your kitchen without stressing too much about it. Right now, your object should be to get things on shelves/in drawers in some sort of order so that you and your family can start using the kitchen.

    Remind yourself that you’re a good organizer. After you use the kitchen for a while, some tweaks will occur to you. Rearranging usually doesn’t take nearly as much time as we fear. Almost no one gets everything right the first time.

  • 6 years ago

    I agree not to stress too much about it -- you can change your mind. I changed the storage space of some things several times after I first got to using my new kitchen.


    I decided where to put things by standing in the kitchen and thinking "if I wanted a glass, where would I reach for one?" or what drawer would I reach for if I was pulling silverware out of the dishwasher?" It's a more organic, instinctive way rather than intellectualizing the problem, because we all have individual preferences from all the kitchens we've been in over our lives. What some people like and find easiest will differ from person to person. Don't force yourself into an organization that looks good on paper but doesn't feel right in person.

  • 6 years ago

    Thank you! Excellent advice @Toronto Veterinarian!

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH