Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vda11

Why is my geranium producing tiny stems and leaves?

Me 1 (zone 7b NY)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Why is my geranium producing tiny stems and leaves (Please see pictures). I got it at Home Depot - healthy looking plant with normal size leaves and abundant flowers. After transplanting it into a bigger pot (I did spread/straighten the roots also) the new growth is tiny, almost like a dwarf. See pictures of new growth as compared to the leaves it had when I bought it. I’ve researched and many problems are with legginess (not applicable here), it is in well drained soil, etc. am I supposed to use a certain type of fertilizer (last time I used MiraclGro 15-30-15)? Is it because the pot is too big? I’m running out of ideas. Has been like this for 2 weeks or so.

Thank you.

Comments (10)

• Embothrium
    3 years ago

Get a magnifier and look for bugs on the undersides.

• woodrose
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Looks like normal new growth to me. It takes time for leaves and stems to grow to their mature size. Make sure you don't over water. I learned the hard way that it was why I kept killing geraniums. Allow the soil to dry out completely, and don't be in a hurry to water again.

• Me 1 (zone 7b NY)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you both. No bugs or pests but will check again. The leaves and stems and flowers are too small, I have another geranium and it’s not like that. I took a close up picture to get as close as possible but the bigger leaves are the normal ones and the smaller ones are about 1/10. In size. The small stems produce tiny flowers too, the red ones are the bigger ones that were from the normal stems It seems there’s an issue with don’t fully growing. Thanks

• Me 1 (zone 7b NY)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ll see if things get better in a week or so (the other geranium puts out tall new flowers several times a week). But seems “sudden dwarfism” is not an issue with geraniums. :)

• Me 1 (zone 7b NY)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It’s now been more than a month and same, tiny leaves and stems but the plant keeps putting them out and flowers. maybe it’s a dwarf variety but it was not when I bought it. as long as it keeps growing and stays green I’m happy. Thanks all!

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

I have the same type of geraniums. It’s been 2 months and they just won’t grow. They get fertilizer weakly weekly as all my other plants. I have them in full sun. I just gave up on thinking they are going to get taller or fuller. I swear it is always the ones I buy from the big box store. I could not go any farther this year to get plants. Every year I say I am not going there but they are much closer than any nursery. My friend picked me up a couple for my hanging baskets from a nursery and they look awesome. Live and learn always.

• Rose Townsley
    3 years ago

I am having same issue. Stunted growth. Wondering if fungicide might work

• Rose Townsley
    3 years ago

First time I noticed it was a year ago. Wonder if they are having seed issues. Or perhaps its the heat. It seems to happen in the hotest part of summer and this year its been hot all summer

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

I tried a 3 in 1 spray already. I don’t think it’s the heat either. Mine usually love the sun. I just have a some small ones that never grew. I have two containers with all geraniums and some are tall and growing beautiful and some right next to them look like the day I planted them.

Sponsored
J.E.S. Home Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Full-Scale Construction Firm