qcngn

Lee x Nova Mandarin

Nick (9b) Modesto Area

I found a nice looking 4 foot Lee x Nova that I picked up yesterday. Immediately placed it into a rootmaker 7 gallon grow pot with lots of ferts.

• Bob

I am not that picky, I eat what I grow. Is it sweet fine, is it sour I still eat them. Don’t throw nothing away. pick and eat till they are all gone, than wait till next season, start all over again. Just fun growing them, also it keeps your brain from going to sleep so dementia doesn’t creep on you.

Featured Answer
  • Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

Really nice plant! Can't wait for you to update with pics of fruit! Maybe in a year? How did you decide on this variety? Have you tried them?

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area

I've read some good things about it and its one that was hard to find locally. I now have the following citrus.

Washington Navel

Cara Cara

Moro

Kishu

Okitsu Wase Satsuma

Owari Satsuma

Honey

Lee x Nova

Page

Tahoe Gold

Shasta God

Yosemite Gold

Gold Nugget

Tango

Pixie

Meyer

Libson

Variegated Eureka

Bearss

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

Oh my goodness. Of those that are producing, which could you NOT BE WITHOUT? Have you tried Mandarinquat? I got a bag at the store and LOVED THEM! If you like kumquats at all, these are like kumquats on steroids. Packed with flavor and super addictive. Probably not for everyone though.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area

I have not tried one just going on what I have read from others who have tried them.

• Silica

Nick, a variety that I would recommend to you is Xie Shan.

• HOWARD Martin

many of these varieties I never even heard of so forgive me of my lack of knowledge there may citrus varieties I have just never heard of

• Silica

I have been to several citrus expos where they held citrus tasting contest. All and I mean All, of the ones that I attended the winner was Xie Shan.

• HOWARD Martin

it not going to be easy to find some of those varieties around here

• molewacker z9b Napa CA (No.SFBay) Danville CA z9b (E.SF Bay)

Good luck Nick, nice looking tree. My LxN (Carrizo) has been very slow to bear fruit. Planted in June of 2012, then moved in 2016,,,, this is the first year that it is developing fruit... and it's loaded!

I'm looking forward to trying the Xie Shan, three grafts took last year and are growing fast. It'll probably be 4 or more years for them to bear.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A

I've got a 'Xie Shan' with fruit for the first time. We'll see how a smaller plant does. Going to probably graft this one for gifts to other citrus nuts locally.

Although, I think Harris Citrus Nursery might sell Xie Shan pretty economically.

• Nick (9b) Modesto Area

I've looked for and tried ordering Xie Shan and Dekapon locally for the past 2 years with no luck. So this was the next best thing I could find :) that was hard to get.

• socalnolympia

Nova Lee is definitely better than either of its parents. I have gotten the opportunity to taste all three.

However, I personally prefer the type of taste of Shasta Gold over Nova Lee, since it is more sour and aromatic, but that could just be personal preference. The type of people who like a mandarin like Dancy will probably like Nova Lee.

• poncirusguy6b452xx

I like the sweet fruits because I can pick them when they are still mostly green when I want something with a little bit more of a bite to it.

Steve