Software
Houzz Logo Print
killershot

Need help with small living room

13 years ago
last modified: 13 years ago
The room is 13 x 14 ft with a large window as well as double French doors. The window covering is wall to wall offwhite curtains and sheers. The other three walls will be of clay tones to link the rest of the house. Since it is a small area I would like to have your ideas as how to furnish it in a modern clean look. I want to achieve a very modern look with perhaps one or two sofas, a coffee table a pedestal lamp etc. Need your help with the sizing of the furniture and its placement in the room. Thanks so much for your input.

Comments (37)

  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Is the large window on the same wall as the french doors? Are you treating them as one with one window treatment? No tv? Just wondering before I think some more. Thanks!
    killershot thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Hi. Thanks for responding so fast. The window is on the one wall (14 ft). The French doors are on the 13 ft wall. They are positioned at an angle. Yes there will be a TV, I'm looking at a wall mounted tv on any of the walls. I also have several black and white prints that can be accommodating a full wall..more like a museum gallery as well.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some ideas I had. Love those elements like floor lamp, glass coffee table, low tv unit, shaggy carpet perhaps. Pls see pics. Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I think it is important that the furniture is NOT against the walls, other than the tv, or it will seem like everything is just lined up around the room. Will it work to place the tv on a low slim console on the same wall as the window? Place the couch perpendicular to the French doors, floating in the room with room behind it for the large artwork that you have. Glass coffee table would be great to keep the GLASS in the room going.....even glass topped end tables??? A shaggy carpet sounds fun to break up some of the smoothness and will ground the area between the couch and the tv. Make it a fun one if the coffee table is glass and it will be seen through it. Low profile chairs in front of the French doors or would they be in the way for using the doors? I would like to see them perpendicular to the couch. Sometimes I think two chairs would better than another couch.
    killershot thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Abbyjean. My problem is that I do not know if I can fit full size furniture or condo like furniture in the room. As far as not putting the furniture against the walls I totally agree but I don't know where to place anything. My husband does not want to obstruct the window... I really am stuck. Help please
  • 13 years ago
    Forgot to say that the TV cannot be placed on the same wall as the window as it is covered wall to wall with full length curtains and sheers. I really like the idea of the furniture floating in the room but I am not sure if I have enough room to get around.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Sorry....I did not forget you!
    With two walls that are windows, I think some furniture may have to go in front of them to make the best use of this space. How about a love seat gets floated in front of the deck door, with space to still go in and out. Make an L with that love seat, using another love seat....instead of couches and this will simulate a sectional, too. Then you can use the glass coffee table with them and the lamp you love in the corner, too. The tv will need to go across from the deck doors then on the wall there, still with a console under it even though it will be mounted. Maybe some chairs on either side of the tv? Not sure if there will be room? SMALL club chairs.....or armless chairs. This puts furniture on THREE WALLS basically and the window wall will be open, but I think that is a good thing, too, to allow the eye some quiet space and to have room to walk around, too.
  • 13 years ago
    Hi Abbyjean
    There is only one wall with windows. One of the other walls is 13 ft long with a double French door at an angle.
    Did you get the sketch of the room? If not, I am forwarding it again. Please advise if you do not get it.
    Thanks
  • 13 years ago
    I am trying to attach it but obviously it does not work. Don't know why..I must be doing something wrong. Here we go again...let me know. By the way I have an armoire as on the sketch but I may move it somewhere else afterall. Thanks again
  • 13 years ago
    @killershot. Photos must be in jpeg format to attach to Houzz.
    killershot thanked nasmijati
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    No wonder It did not work...This was a scanned image (.tiff image). Let me try this again.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Is the tv going in the armoire? I know you said you might move it, so for now, we are going to pretend the tv is where the armoire is, either in it or that piece will leave the room and you will use a console for the tv there instead. I would love to see a circle table between two swivel club chairs in front of the window to the right of the armoire. The will be short and not block a lot and will add some color to that wall of curtains. Swivel will allow you to decide on if you want to turn and talk to each other or turn toward the tv or just face straight in to the room.
    The love seat or small couch will have to start and be in front of part of the sheer/window across from the armoire. I am having a tough time with proportion again, and the chairs will actually determine how far down the couch needs to be....not too close, but enough to see the tv there, too. There could be a chaise at the end of the couch that would be ok since there is the curve with the french door??? Probably no coffee table this way, as the chairs and the couch will all share that floor area in front of the tv part. A coffee table could work if no chaise. Put a floor lamp at the end or an end table......glass top. Big plant to the left of the armoire? Art work behind the couch to the right of the sheers AND room for some on the wall opposite the wall of windows.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Was just reading through the above again and still trying to figure out if this all fits in this SIZE, but maybe the armoire could still stay and the tv could go on a console on the wall opposite the wall of windows? The chairs would face the tv then and the couch would be still facing the armoire, but I think the view to the tv would still be ok. Get leather club chairs and a pattern in the couch.
    killershot thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! Thanks for your comments. It's a lot to think about but one thing for sure I'm going to reduce the amount of furniture in that room as I want it all modern and minimalist. I'm definitely going to get a new TV console but still don't know where to put it to maximize the space. Perhaps a two piece sofa loveseat set, a carpet a floor lamp and a glass coffee table and artwork would be enough. However I'm still trying to figure out where to place all of this. Will not be keeping my two leather chairs and table in between. It's funny that I can figure out things for other people but can't when it comes to my own place. If you have a brainstorm then I would appreciate your help again.
  • 13 years ago
    Are you in the home yet? It would just soooo help to SEE THE ROOM! So how many need to sit in this room?
  • 13 years ago
    Hi! I have pictures of the living room but please disregard the furniture and the curtains...it's all going away..except for the art. The wall color will be in the clay tones and the window will be covered with light offwhite sheers and curtains in its entire width. The pictures are taken from the double French doors. Hope it makes it all the better for your input
  • 13 years ago
    here are more photos
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Thank you! You have a LOT in this room! It seems bigger now. So tell me one more time what furniture you want....two sofas?? Chair? Tv? Armoire? coffee table?
  • 13 years ago
    A TV console, glass coffee table, floor lamp, 2 sofas (three seater and two seater) either separate or a sectional. Perhaps one modern comfy swivel leather chair. How about grey (light or charcoal, anthracite) for sofa and red for chair? Here are some ideas but not sure about the size of the furniture though! Love the floor lamp and I'm looking for a very clean modern minimalist look. Thanx
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    LOVE the idea of a pop with the red chair and I also love LIGHT gray with the white curtains. You can put that red chair in that same window area in your room then, BUT at the other side, or it will just line up with the end of the sectional. I think you can do the sectional WITHOUT the chaise if switch the direction it is shown in the pic. The short side will go on the wall as you walk in the french door and the long side on the long wall. The coffee table should fit right in there, too, but it may need to be narrower. NO chaise will help the coffee table fit. POPS of red on it and on the sectional, too. If your sectional has a curved turn on the wall, the lamp will fit behind it. IF it is straight, like in the pic, I do not see the lamp working. TV console to the left of the french door, where the armoire is in the drawing. The red chair will need to share that area a bit, but it still should not need to be smack dab in the middle of that window area so the curtains and window can be their own statement. I almost picture it so the short side of the sectional is facing the chair.

    I normally do not like to suggest a sectional, but I think if you can find one that goes 2 on the short side and then three facing the french door area, it will be better than two couches since no end table will be needed between the two separate pieces and that will save room. Another reason a sectional is not always best is it limits the options for arranging the room. In your room, the size and the windows is the limit instead, so THAT needs to be worked with instead.

    I think a light gray.....but not so light it is white....will look the best with the clay walls.....going charcoal seems so strong with the walls and you do not want a strong fight in the room with the BIG stuff. The chair is the only contrast in the room. Now, if you were going to do any kind of rug in the room, I could see THAT being the darker shade of gray to put the lighter sectional on. Maybe some red swirls in it???? Random swirls.

    The black and whites will be awesome win the room. I would keep them ALL on gallery walls behind the sectional. Avoid moving any over to the tv/console area. The tv is the black rectangle on that wall instead.
  • 13 years ago
    I'm very unsure about the size and colour of the sofa. I like darker gray for seating arrangements but not sure if it will make the room too crowded(sofa). Where do you suggest I place the seating (sofa or sectional).
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The two seater part is on that wall to the right of the french door and the three seater turns the corner across from the french door....on the long wall leading to the window wall.
    killershot thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks again Abbyjean. Would you see a shaggy carpet in front of the sofas and a glass table as well? What color sofas would you see? Would you recommend condo size furniture (sofas)?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    If two sofas are going to be arranged in an L, it may as well be a sectional as that saves ARM space that the sofas would take up. For two sofas to be used in the room and make sense, they would need to face each other, and the only way that will happen is if they face each other right beside the window.....one where the armoire is and the other across from it. The coffee table could go between them and then the tv needs to go somewhere and the chair? It just seems like the sectional on the wall opposite the window and on to the long wall makes the best sense.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I would love to see a shaggy rug as it would add some texture to the room. Curtains CAN do that, but I do not think the sheer effect will really be a texture here.
    IF the clay is a dark clay, I think the gray should be light. If the clay is a lighter shade, then the furniture can be the darker color. I just do not think they should be the same intensity. PART of me is wondering about a red chair with the clay, but another part of me sees it working just fine.
    Is the furniture pictured in the room condo size? If it is not, I see no reason to use that size. The stuff I see seems to fit with room to play.
  • 13 years ago
    You're right. I appreciate your input. Would you mind if I send you pictures of sofas/sectionals that I like to get your feedback?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    LOVE to see them! I am going out for a quick walk since it is soooo nice, but hubby is gone this evening, so I will be playing on here when I get back!!! I also understand if you need to look for those pieces yet, too. I have a feeling you have been in love with them for a long time!
  • 13 years ago
    Cool! Here we go. Sofas...
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Oh,man! That first one, with the backless parts and parts that can be moved around......how gorgeous is THAT piece! NOW THAT could work in your room as long as you were ok with it being in front of the window, as I see it in front and then working all the way up the long wall, so the chaise was at the french door. The tv console would be across from it where the armoire is. Maybe no red chair, unless it still fit on the right side of the french door, to the left of the tv. I see a fun red chair right there, too. AND I LIKE the color this one is and I think it could be awesome with clay, too!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    The white pieces.....on the top.....are NICE, but did not make quite the same impression on me. The bottom first is tougher to see, but oh, so modern. I sometimes have to look harder at modern furniture. The bottom right? Very nice, but nothing special enough for your room! I see it a lot and I think a statement is what you NEED!

    JUST MY OPINIONS!!! AND first impressions. I could change my mind in 10 minutes!
  • 13 years ago
    Really like it too. I need to get the exact measurements to see if it fits in. How about a huge lamp and a glass table and shaggy rug to tie it all in? Should the rug be large to have the furniture sit on it or just the size in front of the sofas? What color would you suggest? for the rug. Love the chair in the last picture it looks retro and modern as well. A few cushions and my brothers art work that would trail along the back wall...it would look awesome would it?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    There would be room for the huge lamp in that curtain area and I think a lamp in front of the curtains would work!!! The lamp could be right behind where those two white pillows are. My feet are already smiling at the thought of the shaggy rug!!! The part you may truly have to measure is for the coffee table.....as it would go between the sectional and the console and I just do not know if there would be room.
    I can't see any reason to have the rug go all the way underneath this piece.....it would not be seen and seems like a waste to buy one so big. BUT I would like at least the front legs of the piece to be on the rug.....and not just put the rug in front. For some reason, when I picture a rug in this room, I am picturing it white?????? Would a white rug work for you? Would it be ok with your curtains? OR do you need it to be a light gray?
    Seriously........your brother did that art work??????? I love it even more! And with this style of sectional......yes......trail along the wall and not a gallery. You had that narrow piece and it was perfect for the ledge for it.
  • 13 years ago
    Awesome. Getting somewhere now and I appreciate your help. Now, my new dilemma is leather or upholstery furniture? We are expecting our first grandchild...so that I have to thing about it as well but I still want it to be a great sophisticated room to eat in and have fun too....
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Oh, congrats on the grandchild........no greater gift than that! And the anticipation is sooooo fun, too! Oh, I could go on! Leather is sophisticated and I think there was a time it was always at the top of that list, but now? I think a nice fabric can take that same spotlight. And fabric can be treated to repel stains, too. And I have to tell you......we have upholstery and have kids and grandkids and I never want to be the fussing person about things being ruined.......and NOTHING ever has been! I think we are told we need to worry about it, but nope! GREAT shape! We also have leather in another room and I have seen ink on that.....from grown ups......but it also cleans right up. SOOOOOO it is YOUR choice, GRAMMA!
    killershot thanked abbyjean
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks a bunch for helping me with this project. I guess I'll have my husband decide on this one....Thanks for all your help!
  • 13 years ago
    Have fun! And hubby will love being included!!!