shive_gw

Remembering Zuzu

shive

Zuzu disappeared about two weeks ago, and I feared a pack of coyotes who were in the vicinity had either chased him off or killed him. I drove the streets looking for a body, but only found a dead possum. Several days ago, I posted his photo and his information on the Nextdoor Website for our neighborhood. I checked periodically to see if anyone replied. No one did. So today while I was searching for my own post, I ran across an older post about someone who had found a dead cat in their backyard, located seven block away from our home. The description sounded like our Zuzu. I sent his photos to her, and she and her husband verified the striped and white cat they found was him. The lady said his injuries were consistent with a coyote attack. I'm feeling very sad, and my husband and I sure will miss Zuzu. He was one of the sweetest cats I've ever had. He had lived here for just over 10 years. My husband always called him affable. No matter how much his sister cats swiped at him, or hissed at him, he let it all roll off. Zuzu came to front door or the dining room window several times everyday to see Cowgirl. He was a family kind of guy, and he loved daylilies.

He was a great garden helper too!

I'm glad I registered this daylily to help us remember him: Zuzu's Treasure (2020)

Debra

• Nancy 6b

I have been trying to post, and Houzz is being so mean. I am so very sorry to hear your news, Debra! Poor Zuzu. I will miss him, I always enjoyed your photos of him, and I know we all here feel like we know him. I love my cats too, and yes, I do have favorites. Some just have a personality that fits. So hard to lose them, and worse in this way. I am so sorry.

• celeste

Oh NO! I am so heartbroken for you. Poor Zuzu. I have also lost cats in the past to the coyotes so I know the anguish you are going through. I will miss seeing his photos. It almost feels like I know him from the years of updates and pictures. I am so so sorry, Debra. I wish there was something I could say to heal the heartache. The daylily in his honor is beautiful, just as he was.

• signet_gw(6b)

Sorry to hear about your Zuzu. It is never easy to lose an animal that has made an impact on your heart . Maybe you can think of it this way. Zuzu had a great life with you and he wasn't confined inside a house like so many other cats are . They are meant to wander , it is just our human influence that often stops that freedom that is meant for animals. He sounds like he found the perfect home and the right people for him and for 10 wonderful years too . Some never get that . You honored him at the right time by registering that daylily in his name . It's almost like the universe knew you would need that to keep him close to your heart.

• popmama

Poor ZuZu. I love that name and I love him. The named daylily is an amazing way to remember him and it's a beauty.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il

Oh Debra, I’m so sorry! Losing a member of the family is devastating, you and Zuzu were blessed to spend time with each other, you made his life good. I’m so glad I have a part of Zuzu’s memory at my home. We will miss him too.

Hugs, Sherry

• lilykate7a

Having lost both of my long term cats last year, I can feel this pain. My beloved Jasper was also lost to some kind of animal attack. Zuzu. Beautiful cat, wonderful name. I know you will miss him. Our animals are all special to us but those garden kitties just know how to inch closer to our hearts. So sorry.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)

There is little comfort in this, but at least you know what happened to him and can stop the wondering. I've been in similar circumstances and when my girl was finally found after weeks of me walking the streets and posting posters and knocking on doors there was a finality to it. Not closure. How can you close your heart to love. You know I truly feel sorry for you and your husband for your loss. Zuzu has crossed the bridge and will be waiting for you. It's the only way I can look at these things and go on. Heavenly kisses blown to Zuzu..........Maryl

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)

So sorry for your loss of Zuzu. We just lost our Henry. He disappeared and hasn't shown back up. It was not like him to stray too far from the house. He wasn't affectionate, but we appreciated his work keeping the voles in check. Now Sparky, our kitten, is missing him.

Nancy

• shive

Thank you all so miuch for your kind words about Zuzu. He was so funny with his billygoat meow, and he always made me smile. I know most outdoor cats are lucky to make it three years, let alone 10. But it seems far too soon for him to be gone. Kate, I'm sorry you lost both of your cats last year. That would be hard. Nan, I'm sorry to hear about your Henry. Heather, your words really touched my heart. Maryl, it is better to know what happened to him. Sherry, we definitely considered him a member of the family. Nancy, Zuzu was my husband's favorite, and he is really heartbroken. Zuzu would always follow him when he took walks around the yard, or took pictures outside. Popmama, thank you too for expressing your love of Zuzu and his flower.

Debra

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b

I'm so sorry, Debra.

• shive

Thank-you, Laura! I was just thinking today about how Zuzu was lucky to even grow up. As a kitten, he got a terrible neck injury, and his mother, Tuxie, always kept him right with her when she made her rounds. I didn't know if he would survive then, but he did. Here is a picture of Zuzu and Coco when they were about five months old. Coco is the one sitting, and brother Zu is in a prone position. I loved those spots on their tummies. They lost them when they were about a year old.

Debra

• Brad KY 6b

I'm so sorry Debra.

• nat4b

Oh I am so sorry, Debra. This is really sad. Poor kitty.. Was he the only male among your cats? I love that picture of him guarding the bags of soil. What a beautiful daylily (and the name) to remember him.

• shive

Yes Nat, Zuzu was our only male, and he had such a different, happy-go-lucky kind of personality. The females miss him terribly. Tuxie and Coco were acting like bloodhounds trying to find his scent at the beginning of the week. Now they're snuggling together for comfort, and they haven't done that since Coco was a little kitten. Sammie and Cowgirl go off by themselves a lot. Everyone has their own way to grieve.

Debra

• nat4b

Oh yeah they do that. When we lost our Kitty, Claire, the other cat kept looking for her around the house for days. Now Claire is 18yo, and.. I don't even want to think about it.. I remember one quickly became a house cat, she still is?

• shive

Yes Nat, Cowgirl was the one I tamed quickly. Once she came in the house, she never wanted to go back out. She loves her creature comforts and snuggling with her people.

Debra

• cooper8828

I'm so sorry for you loss.

shive thanked cooper8828
  • nat4b

Beautiful girl! Great name :)

• shive

Nat - Yes, Cowgirl is a beautiful girl with a beautiful personality.

Debra

• organic_kitten

Oh my goodness, I am so very sorry. We all feel as if we knew him. I am sure that Cowgirl is missing him too. Coyote's are so bad to kill pets. This is such a shame.

kay

• mantis__oh

I remember so many wonderful posts with Zuzu. What would life be like without our gardening companions?

• shive

Kay and Mantis - Thank you so much. Zuzu was a great pet, and a great gardening companion.

Debra