Software
Houzz Logo Print
doris_dubielzig

What is your decking material, and where was it purchased?

6 years ago
We're looking for a sustainable modular decking material.
4-Season Roof Garden · More Info

Comments (3)

  • 6 years ago

    Hi Doris, I’m not a decking expert, but after much research that included conversation with other customers, we purchased composite decking from CaliBamboo. They offer wood and bamboo composite. We chose bamboo. We have only had it installed a short time so I can’t address longevity. It is cool to walk on, cleans better than wood composites and the color is beautiful. My husband is an architect so knows the pitfalls of composite and the newer wood materials. He wanted sustainable materials and I wanted low maintenance. Cost is comparable to name brand wood composites. Our second choice was hardwood cedar or redwood which require staining but reportedly last for years. I understand your frustration in this search as I was there, too. I hope you find something you love.

    Doris Dubielzig thanked kginny
  • 6 years ago

    Kginny, Thanks for this information. I looked at the CaliBamboo website, and the material looks good. Our contractor wants modular decking, so the garage roof under it can be accessed if and when it starts to leak again. I could not find modular tiles at the CaliBamboo website.
    AdvantageLumber has Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC) certified Ipe tiles, which we're considering.

  • 6 years ago

    We ended up purchasing 2' X 2" black locust tiles from Robi Decking, in Winston-Salem, NC., which were just installed last week. I'll attach a photo. The railing still yet to be painted. And pardon me, I have to sweep the deck every day!


Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting