Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nickel_kg

World Snake Day (only cute pic's, not scary!)

nickel_kg
3 years ago

July 16th is World Snake Day. Who declared it so, I don't know. One of my favorite naturalist/graphic artists posted this (screen capture below). For proper accreditation her name is Rosemary Mosco of "Bird and Moon Comics". Widely available if you want to search out more. Her work conveys scientifically accurate info about all sorts of wildlife, not just snakes.

Comments (13)

• olychick
    3 years ago

I'm lucky to live where there are no poisonous snakes, so don't seem to have the revulsion so many have to them. Growing up, it was always fun to find garter snakes in the yard; now I love seeing them because they eat slugs (so I am told), but don't like being startled by them. They are kind of cute when they posture in a defensive/attack mode. I give them space, not out of fear but so as to not scare them.

nickel_kg thanked olychick
  • OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Neat depiction. I don’t mind snakes like some do. I do have a healthy respect for them and want to ID one as soon as possible if I encounter one, and I find them fascinating. Non-venomous ones can be quite useful to have around.

I don’t think this is a scary one, but if photos of real live snakes bother you, scroll on by.

nickel_kg thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

For me, "a cute picture of a snake" doesn't exist, it's a phrase with mutually exclusive words. Like saying "a decorative photo of a bloody murder scene".

I don't like snakes and I like them least of all if I see one nearby. I try to avoid encountering them.

nickel_kg thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • foggyj2
    3 years ago

There's such a thing, as a "cute" picture of any snake? I'll just scroll on.....lol

nickel_kg thanked foggyj2
  • nickel_kg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

But the rattler bluffing is so adorable :-)

LOL, I've got species I'd rather not examine closely, too. We won't go into what they are....

• kadefol
    3 years ago

I am not afraid of snakes and find them beautiful, but I respect them and maintain distance. We have several venomous species here in central TX, luckily the only ones who pop up in the yard are harmless rat snakes and garden snakes.

nickel_kg thanked kadefol
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Unfortunately we have copperheads and coral snakes in this vicinity. We have have had both on our previous property. I don't think there have been any on this property. My neighbors black lab was bitten on the nose by a copperhead. I am not fond of snakes 🐍

nickel_kg thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • nickel_kg
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Somewhere I have a picture of an itty bitty ring-neck snake. It could have curled up on a quarter with room left over, it was so small. It was stuck in a spider's web, until I rescued it.

• foggyj2
    3 years ago

Now that's a cute snake joke!

nickel_kg thanked foggyj2
  • lgmd_gaz
    3 years ago

As some may remember. I admire snakes. No, I would not want to own one as a pet...that's cruel. They don't belong caged up.

As my Mothers Day present last year, my daughter treated me to a snake demonstration at a Pittsburgh science center. I got to hold one.

nickel_kg thanked lgmd_gaz
  • caflowerluver
    3 years ago

I am not afraid of snakes and appreciate that they keep the rodent population under control. We have gopher snakes here and have found a couple of rattlesnakes which we had relocated to an unpopulated area. I had a girlfriend in college that had a boa as a pet. I got to hold it and pet it. Too bad I didn't get a picture then to post now. She also had a pet tarantula. I preferred the snake.

nickel_kg thanked caflowerluver
  • bob_cville
    3 years ago

I appreciate that snakes keep the rodent population under control and while I'm not "afraid" of them, still whenever I see one I cannot prevent an involuntary jolt of shock and surprise.

Here's one of the most recent ones I've seen.

Here you can see my foot at the bottom of the picture as he slithers on by.

nickel_kg thanked bob_cville