Software
Houzz Logo Print
madsquopper

Help disassembling Maytag Bravos dryer

6 years ago

Specifically model MGDX500XW0 which is a Bravos Intellidry (see photos). Need to replace the door switch (luckily it's the no light/drum doesn't stop problem vs the no start problem) so at least it's usable as-is. None of the online videos are specific to this model about either removing the front panel or lifting the top off. They all show dryers with a slightly different configuration. The control panel section looks rigidly attached with some screws and there are no clamps in the front where you slide a putty nife to disengage. Suspect I need to lift the top, as there appear to be some screws holding the front door in place (as opposed to the pushable clamps) that are covered by the top and you can't get at those unless the top is off.

There's a photo of the back; there's a plate that seems to be holding the top firmly, so it's not like you can remove a few screws and hinge it back. Anyone familiar with this model? I may eventually carefully remove a couple of selected screws at a time and see what happens, but would prefer some knowledgeable info. Maytag site doesn't have a repair guide for this model, nor does anyone else seem to. Thanks,

Larry






Comments (6)

  • 6 years ago

    I don't have hands-on experience with this unit but my guess is the four screws along the bottom of console mounting plate come out, then the top slides back a bit and lifts off. Watch for wiring harnesses.

    OR the control console may need to be removed for access to brackets/screws beneath that anchor the top panel and it slides forward. Screws on back of the console, and slip a putty knife under the front corners to depress spring clips that anchor it to the top.

    Hopefully the door switch is accessible from the top without removing the front panel. If the front does need to come off, the bottom panel (below the door) comes off (spring clips in the seam above it) to access screws at the bottom corners.

  • 6 years ago
    1. Maytag Dryer MGDX500XW0 Repair Parts
    2. Parts for Maytag MGDX500XW0: Cabinet Parts
    3. Door switch is Part #41
    4. Dryer Door Switch
    5. Watch Repair Video* on Dryer Door Switch page

    Assuming the Maytag dryer is similar, it appears that you'll have to find a different way to tilt back or remove the top as your dryer doesn't have a lint filter that's shown in the video.

  • 6 years ago

    Dadoes, I think you're on the right track, but I tried both options today and couldn't get either to work. May give it another try in a few days when my frustration has cleared up. I opened up an older dryer without any trouble so was disappointed I can't get this one open.


    Worst case is that I'll just live with it; as I said the only problem is that if I want to stop mid-cycle I have to manually use the pause button on the panel instead of simply opening the door. Plus no internal light.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    I have the same dryer with the same problem... I'm going to try to fix this as soon as the switch comes in and I will post how I did it. I have a feeling you have to take that back panel screws off and set the dryer control section aside, then pry off the top. I'll let you know what I did, if you haven't resolved this already. If you have resolved, post what you did. I'm curious as well. Too bad this doesn't pivot back on hinges like the others.

  • 5 years ago

    Keith, I have the exact same issue with my Bravos gas dryer and I could not figure out how to open the top. It seems that the top will slide forward to release the clips on both sides and open.... I guess. I took three screws off the back the control console and I tried to slide the top forward but did not have any luck. I must have missed something....Please help if you can. Thanks.