Software
Houzz Logo Print
jdavid10

Next: family room! Help!

13 years ago
Hi houzzers. The next project is the family/play room. It's the last room in the house that we need to finish and its giving me a hard time. It's in the attic and we want to use it as sort of a den until we finish our basement. Here's what I got so far. Any ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Comments (51)

  • 13 years ago
    I wanted to create a fun room the family could just hang out in using colors in the lamp but I don't think it's going very well........I was also hoping to put a small desk against that wall with the lamp so I can put my laptop and do some work at times. help!!!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Going to put curtains on window behind tv As well
  • 13 years ago
    The word artwork competes with the curtains- put it somewhere not next to them. Is the couch facing the tv? Yes, drapes behind the tv is needed! Hard to see room layout. To many colors?!?! Narrow it down to black/white and ......
  • 13 years ago
    Yes ouch faces tv. End table on one side. Planned on putting some sort of chair or chaise on other. Maybe I will do black white and red?
  • 13 years ago
    any ideas please???
  • 13 years ago
    bump
  • 13 years ago
    Can you take a pic of the whole room?
  • 13 years ago
    yes, will post when i get home.
  • 13 years ago
    Ok here are some additional pics. It's hard to take a pic of the whole room. Here is a pic while I am in the doorway
  • 13 years ago
    Here is a pic while I am standing at the window.
  • 13 years ago
    Here are some ideas- I love candice Bergen. Saw shows where she did attics.
  • 13 years ago
    Bench with cushions, so you can store toys. Or what about cabinet/counter- so you can store things and utilize the top. Love the couch- can you move and use yours so you have a tv and a little play area?
  • 13 years ago
    Do you need the door? Or can it be removed. You need a mirror, a rug, design..... So use the pics- as design tools- but can be more fun, child friendly, your style.
  • 13 years ago
    Thanks Tammy! Those r great ideas. Now if I can only achieve it. Where should I move couch? What do u think if a small desk on the wall by that colorful lamp?
  • 13 years ago
    What a fun space to create a family room fun! And the couch looks sooooo comfy! Since that light is a fav and has to stay....hurray for that.....embrace it and do just what you have been.....those are your accent colors. I LOVE THAT!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Just because the tv fits in the window area does not mean it has to go there....that was a fluke. I think that little area could be a fun place for a bench......one that opens to store things and one to sit and look out the window. I would like to see the tv where the little desk is.......I know that is a small wall and there is a door there, but I would like to see if that is possible? Then I would put the couch in front of the window that has the curtains and the word art....are these two now across from each other? I hope I have that right in my mind! Put that great red ottoman right back in front for feet to use!!!
    Could your desk now go on the wall the couch was on??? And the fun light? Or can the light go on the end of the couch that does not have the end table? Put the word art by the desk....words and desks seem to go together! LOL
    IF you do not NEED the curtains, I would suggest taking them down. Put the colorful art on one side of the window so it is behind part of the couch. Maybe even arrange it so the pic is over the end table area for some height with that piece???
    Maybe hang the Live and Love between the two doors, over the light switch.
    Enjoy this space!!!
  • 13 years ago
    Hi abby! thank you so much. ok so I have some re-arranging to do. Ur right! this could be such a fun room. I am afraid I am failing at achieving that. The small black object against that wall is actually a small piano for my daughter, hence the duke ellington art behind it.

    As far as the bench goes, I was thinking the same thing. It has to be built though so I asked my brother in law who has agreed whenever we are ready. In the meantime though, do I buy a bench that fits exactly there???

    The couch is not across from the window it is adjacent to it. I will try to take another pic. That is an interesting place for the couch. I can try it. My desk could definitely go on that other wall, but its so big. I thought maybe the couch against it was better. Because then I would have to balance it out. not sure.

    The live love laugh frame, I can try to move between the two door frames. One is to the hallway and the other is a closet.

    The only thing is that I dont think the TV will fit on that small wall where the piano currently is....
  • 13 years ago
    I was also thinking of getting another piece of furniture, maybe a chaise for extra seating. any ideas on that?
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Well, now that I know what that little black thing is and how that picture goes with it, do not touch one thing in that area. I looked at it again and just smiled! How clever and fun! LEAVE it and let me think some more.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    I am soooo excited to think of that window area being used as a window seat/storage area. You will fight over who gets to sit there. For now, while waiting for one to be built, get one that comes close so you can still use it the same way. PILLOWS will make that area, too. Make them all match the light. Get some patterned ones, too. You already have some on the couch that will work!!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    How about 'we' slide that tv out of that window and put it on the wall to the left, where the light is kind of. It it pretty much in front of the couch? Make it as centered to it as possible, which probably means moving that end table. Put the light in that corner and the end table to the left of the couch. A chaise could then fit beside that end table and be angled toward the tv. THAT becomes your tv area of the room. Maybe hang that word art at the end of the end table to signify that separation?

    Would there then be room for you desk at the other end of the couch wall? Is that more down by that piano now? Will one fit there?
  • 13 years ago
    abby that idea is great! one glitch, where will the desk fit? If i slide the couch down and add a chaise and change the end table to the other side with the lamp, a desk will not also fit there..... i love that idea though. i sooo need an office area!
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    OK......now I am starting to understand more where things are in this room.......soooooooo........what about if that little window area becomes the little piano room and that goes in there with the pic and some other fun little things that go along with music and your office/desk area goes where the piano was????? Will that be enough room? Then you could put the word art in YOUR area.
  • 13 years ago
    Hmm Abby that sounds grt! Let me try it and see if I could get hubby to help. That area is a bit small but I'm sure maybe a small desk can fit which is all I need. There is a closet door there though
  • 13 years ago
  • 13 years ago
    That would be great! Especially since it has no arms.
  • 13 years ago
    Thx Tammy. Will the color go with the rest of the room?
  • 13 years ago
    It will work... Would gray be better? Matches the curtains? Just don't want too much color- you have black, red, blue, then your curtains and lamp. Or have black blue red your colors?
  • 13 years ago
    That chaise is just what you need up in that fun room. I hope that little area will work for your desk!!!
  • 13 years ago
    im glad u like it! i think it will be great in the room. Abby i hope so too. now only if i could get hubby to help me move furniture this weekend. LOL. he says he likes the tv in the nook but is willing to try it on that wall.
  • 13 years ago
    last modified: 13 years ago
    Remember, too, that your desk does not have to go up against a wall......it can float in the room just like that piano and then you are still a part of the room and your back is not to anyone.
    Have fun playing and please post back!!!
  • 13 years ago
    yes I will. Abby thank you so much! really appreciate it. Will play with it this weekend and will post. now only to find a small affordable desk!
  • 13 years ago
    I see TV. Hang art low, no small pieces. Lamp is fun use it by sofa. Float sofa out in room. Use ottoman.
    jdavid10 thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • 13 years ago
    roman shade is a good idea. Yes, I think a theme might be nice. I want it to be cozy but also dont want to spend a fortune. The plan is to temporarily use this room until the basement is complete which should happen by next summer. After that, this room turns into a full fledged office just for me! yay!

    Love the idea of bean bag chairs. Can i throw two of 'em in there even with the chaise? or nix the chaise?
    i thought if I got the chaise I could still use it when I turn the room into an office next year
  • 13 years ago
    Roman shade on windows all of them.keep the same.
  • 13 years ago
    travis, can you be a bit more specific? I think I get it.......float couch where? leave tv in nook?
  • 13 years ago
    ok so nix the curtains? :(
  • 13 years ago
    Room is very small just don't over do,with too many things. Maybe a small desk on wall with TV?
  • 13 years ago
    When i purchased them i thought they would go so well, but im definitely not loving it
  • 13 years ago
    thats what I was thinking travis. small desk. the room is kind of small. LIke i said, just wanted a place the family could kind of hang out and watch tv instead of using the living room all the time. just having a hard time making this comfortable....

    so travis? bean back chairs and chaise or no?
  • 13 years ago
    It hard to get idea of layout I'm working off my phone. The TV is very big, and taking a lot of space. Don't think you can float furn, because of size of rm. put new window covers and poster up over sofa and wall on sides of TV. Put cute lamp on end by sofa. A couple of yellow bean bag chairs on either side of ottoman. No red. I like the orange ottoman, is it storage too.?
  • 13 years ago
    No chaise no room
  • 13 years ago
    Walmart chairs are great love the zebra do those.
  • 13 years ago
    Ck Walmart for window covers think they sell them. Roman.
  • 13 years ago
    ok so bean bag chairs, no chaise. posters are a great idea. didnt think if that. yes tv is big. the ottoman is storage and its actually red. so yellow bean bag chairs still?
  • 13 years ago
    Abby what do u think about the beanbag chairs?
  • 13 years ago
    Yellow or zebra any thing will work just want to make it a fun room to watch TV. Plus kids love them.
  • 13 years ago
    Good idea. Ordering them now. But Travis I also wanted to add some adult seating so I was wondering if I could still add the chaise. Also I definitely need the desk, should I get that first and then see how everything else fits?