jaxkats

Custom mill work in kitchen...dated??

jaxkats

Hi!

I have used houzz for years for guidance, but this is my first post! Please don’t call me crazy...I have purchased beautiful custom kitchen cabinets from Renovation Angel. Although they are not the white inset I dreamed of, with small kids, settling for cream was not difficult as the whit would’ve been difficult to maintain. Some pictures of the kitchen are attached, and you could see the custom millwork and scrolls on the sides on each appliance and sink. My question is...do these give a dated look? Should I set up the kitchen without them? We will be getting new counters/backsplash/hardware, new sink, and a 36” Wolf range top. Any advice is welcome! Thanks so much!!

• tartanmeup

10K for cabinets and appliances?! What a deal! Good for you. If the cabinets and appliances all FUNCTION for you in your home, that's absolutely fantastic and I add my tip of the hat to your green effort. You can certainly tone done the "Tuscan" aesthetic of this kitchen without touching the actual cabinets.

Did I miss what kind of floor you have? That will impact the feel of the kitchen. Lighting will play a huge part as well. I'd go with simple pendants. There are from Home Depot.

Simpler pulls in the same finish would "dress down" the cabinets.

You might also be able to change the cabinet glass to a simpler obscuring texture.

For the backsplash tile, shop with a cabinet door or drawer front in hand to look at both in natural light from the start. You'll want a warm white not a cool white. Yes, bring tile home to see in your kitchen with the backsplash and actual lighting (essential before buying!) but tile store lighting can be deceptive from the start so bringing the cabinet door to the tile first can save you time.

Once this kitchen is in your actual kitchen, you'll have a much easier time to see what "needs" to be tweaked to better suit your taste. I'm sure there's a millwork pro out there who could transform those fluted details on the island and stove should you want that.

Don't recall ever coming across a project like this on this forum before. It's exciting. Best of luck! Hope you keep us posted.

• jaxkats

@tartanmeup thanks for your great tips! We will be doing our floor over too as this will be a complete gut. Any suggestions?? I am in NY and a little embarrassed to go into kitchen design places with my renovation angel cabinets. The 2 places I’ve visited did not care to help me since I’ve already purchased the big ticket item. Like I said, im sure I will have another post for design SOS! But yes, for the price I paid for this kitchen, it was worth taking the risk! I will be using the fridge and double oven, not sure if I will use the Miele dishwasher yet, or keep my own which I love (whirlpool gold...I do love it!) I will be replacing double sink with single basin (stainless or porcelain??), and soooo excited for my Wolf 36’ range top! Thanks to this site, I’ve already decided on the 6 burners vs the 4 burners and griddle.

The Start of Things to Come

Thought I would add the floor plan too, not exact and not showing the post or doors, but gives an idea of the layout. I'm happy that the post hasn't become an obstacle, we hardly notice it's there. The 'gym'/office room has the door on a angle to allow for additional swingspace for moving furniture etc, as that small area outside of the laundry room was quite tight, so it's opened it up quite a bit. I also planned the angled door to give a clear line of sight to the sitting area so that any 'moms' can keep an eye on the kids while working/exercising. Play room area is open with no wall on the stairs side also making it easy to see/hear what the kids are up to. We painted the door to the furnace room the same as the wall colour so that it wasn't prominent. Unfortunately the shower room opens to the space where the table is, but we made sure the room was well insulated to help with noise control, so far no one has even asked to use the other bathroom.

Help Please! I have Blue Jeans stains on my new white Crypton couch

Sorry, my house is 'high' abuse. I don't spend any more time cleaning my sofa because of the color. I'd be cleaning up cat vomit if it were grey or brown and it the cushions covers would be thrown in the wash once a year regardless. I eat spaghetti and drink red wine and I don't cover it beforehand. They get vacuumed once every two weeks but not because they are white - it's because we have cats. Anyone want to see a picture of my cats on my couches? The one I had before my current small sectional sold in 4 days used. It looked new - it was a pale oatmeal color. Fabrice is everything. By the way, you can use bleach on Sunbrella fabrics regardless of the color. That stuff wears like iron. By the way - I am a seamstress as a hobby, but quite accomplished. I know fabric.

Indiana Amish Kitchen Cabinet Makers

Search for local. Disregard their religion, or lack of it. A belief system doesn’t ensure a superior made product. It’s currently used as a marketing tool by others very far from religious in fact. If you knew what some of those beliefs entailed, such as the puppy mills, you might prefer anyone but the Amish do work for you.

What color would you call this?

I like your cabinet stain and I would keep it if for no other reason than it is very close in color and it seems environmentally unfriendly to me to do a makeover. You might consider adjusting your countertop choice to flatter the new cab color if needed and there is the possibility of adjusting your lighting Kelvin to provide an undertone more to your liking. IMO when a decision is made in the course of a remodel that I have spent a lot of time on and the outcome is good but not as expected it takes some time for my brain to wrap around the new result and accept it. During our remodel I would get wedded to something and be upset/nervous about the unexpected change but now I can hardly remember what I wanted in the first place. Of course there were times when something happened that was just nasty and I made them re-do.
  • tartanmeup

Actually, the more I look at the kitchen, the more I'd describe it as "French country" rather than "Tuscan". Here are Houzz pics of French country kitchens. You might find some good ideas. This one reminds me a lot of yours. The plain glass for the cabinets works. Don't be embarrassed to ask for advice in kitchen design places. Perhaps they can help you, perhaps they can't but that's on them. What's embarrassing about your project?

For the floor, what do you have in the adjoining spaces? We had hardwood and I went with tile for the kitchen because I thought wood wasn't a good choice for a kitchen (water), and my knees (and back) regret the tile. Never again will I go with tile for a kitchen. A flooring store might be a good place for ideas. I love my huge single basin. Best decision ever. It's stainless (and imperfect) but I've no experience with a porcelain kitchen sink so can't compare. You might want to research kitchen sinks in the forum for advice.

• Carolae

You are getting a bargain and saving good quality cabinets and appliances from the landfill! That’s terrific!

I’d leave the cabinets as is and not start removing millwork, corbels, etc. The pretty cream color lightens the ornate look.

• julieste

You got a great deal! I'm not a huge fan of those legs either. But, the one major thing I would change is the hood. I think if you just do a very simple chimney hood it will really help change the look.

25 years ago when we re-did our kitchen we bought all of the original cabinets from a 1920s deluxe house where the kitchen was being redone. We repurposed them, had a cabinet maker make some adjustments that we needed to fit our space and had him make custom cabinets to fill in the places where the re-cycled cabinets wouldn't fit. I still like it 25 years later. But, the cabinets were period appropriate for our vintage house. I don't know how these fit in with the rest of your house.

• jaxkats

@tartanmeup the kitchen you sent is breathtaking! My counters would also probably be something close to the ones in this pic as well. I have always loved the French country look and tried to follow it as much as possible when we moved in our home 9 years ago. But lately i have been trying to go with more streamlined pieces and “cleaner” lines to try to modernize it. As for floors, the house is all wood. I will most likely give entrance and living room a darker stain but I do think tile in kicthen is best idea. Did I mention I have a dog, too? 🤪 its a very busy and loud house...so the first thing I need to consider is functionality and then basically a bed room for my All-Clad collection 😍

French Country Chateau Custom Home · More Info

• Silverlined

@jaxkats Those countertops look to be Taj Mahal quartzite in your inspiration photo. That alone will equal your stated cost of cabinetry. I priced Taj Mahal in my area, and slabs ran from about $3,500 to over $5,000 USD each depending on the quality, and that is prior to fabrication and installation. You might be able to find something similar in a quartz, but not usually in granite.

• jlj48

Love that you are repurposing cabinets. I actually love the counters and hardware on it now. I agree with the poster that said tile is hard to stand on. Tile hurts my back and knees. We have hardwood in our kitchen and love it. Good luck with your project!

• loobab

Of those "French Country Kitchens" shown, not one was in France. They are what an American designer imagines a French kitchen to be.

Ditto for what American designers have concocted for the "Tuscan look" or the "Tuscan country look" here.

As to whether or not your cabinets are dated, well, what is the purpose of your question?

Are you planning to sell your house in a few years and you are wondering how the choice will affect resale?

Or are you staying a while and you really like these cabinets and are unsure of yourself and want confirmation of your choice?

If the latter, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks about whether or not a look is dated, it is about what you like and can afford and whether it is well made and properly installed.

If the former, well, please know that your choice is taste-specific which may make your home harder to sell.

By the same token, you may know that swimming pools can make homes harder to sell as well.

• RedRyder

I also had to rip the tile from my kitchen. It’s deadly on your back. If you are very concerned about your wood floors, then you could look into wood-looking vinyl. You have young children and a dog - that’s who the product was made for. Personally, I’d leave the floor. I have had friends with wood floors during their kids’ growing up years. They just refinished them once when they got too messed up. Good hardwood is worth it’s weight in gold.
    And yes, you got a heck of a price on that entire kitchen! Bravo!

Beth H. :

sorry, I think they look circa 2004 American- tuscan style french country kitchen. I wouldn't get them. As for white vs cream? on the clean up scale there is no difference. Glazing? NO.

However, all those corbels and fluted trim? nightmare to clean. I used to have them. You'll hate when it comes time to scrub all of those grooves. trust me.

what is the style of the rest of the house?

the kitchen you posted w/the blue island and whiter cabs is nice, but I would do it w/less embellishments. I can't stress enough how difficult it is to keep those clean.

crystal lights in a kitchen? near a stove? (will you be hiring a maid? )

if you do get those cabinets, you could change out the fluted trim and ornate corbels for plain trim and forgo the corbels. no fluted pieces. I removed the fluted pieces from my kitchen and had it replaced w/flat trim

• Design Girl

@Jaclyn Kats - So happy you got a bargain. Even if the cabinets are not something you would have purchased new, you got a great deal on cabinets that look barely used. At some later date, if you wanted, you could switch out the doors/drawers, to your liking. Taj Mahal quartzite would look great with those cabinets. As for the floor, I'd run the wood into your kitchen. Tile is cold and hard on your back. I've had wood floors in my kitchen for 25 years with 2 kids and 3 dogs. I am just refinishing them now to change the color. With the proper finish, they wear very well (water, kids, dogs and all).

• waverly6

I think it will be gorgeous. I don’t dislike the extra millwork and if I was moving into that house,I’d keep them, but seeing that the house is moving to you, it gives you the opportunity to change them out. I’d go with a different hood, take out the pilasters,scrolls and change out the island legs. If you make the hood a feature, that will also downplay features you may not love.

• jaxkats

Great advice! Thank you, all. I have considered a stainless hood, but truthfully I do like this hood and if I could find a millworker to remove corbels and fluted trim to make it a bit less “fancy” I would be quite happy. My biggest challenge with that would be matching up the paint color and glaze. It is the fluted trim that needs To go first! i can even live with the legs of removing them would be complicated even though I don’t think it will be. Purchasing these cabinets are a risk, but at the price I got them for, I didn’t mind taking it! It even comes with the grohe pot filler! 🎉 Even with my bargain cabinets, i Have budgeted this project to be about ~60k. We’ll see!

• jaxkats

This is what I have in mind for a backsplash (leaning towards beveled as I love the dimension with the lighting and also to match my bathrooms)...keeping in mind it will be an off-white and not bright white color.I would also like a tile frame in same color/material under the hood (Style like in the last picture)

• tartanmeup

"Even with my bargain cabinets, i Have budgeted this project to be about ~60k."

Yikes. What's your cost breakdown? Is it labour that's taking a huge chunk of that budget? Are you moving plumbing, electrical, etc? Fwiw, I wouldn't be in a rush to replace the countertops.

• loobab

I have a question- will a beveled tile collect dust?

• tartanmeup

I'd go with the simplest tile, matching grout, no tile frame. Let whatever countertop you choose be the star. There are enough details in the vertical plane.

• flopsycat1

Fantastic that you can repurpose the contents of someone else’s discarded kitchen! We live in such a throwaway society, with changing styles every few years.

i am somewhat of a minimalist, so the cabinets would not be my style. As far as the millwork question, aside from aesthetics, I see scrollwork as a dust and grease catcher. With small children, you’d probably prefer not spending your time with spray cleanser and a toothbrush.

Please post pics of your completed project.

• MizLizzie

I think you got a bargain, and I can’t wait to see how it turns out. I actually love the granite slab on the island and I would consider keeping it if you could find something to coordinate for the perimeter? I would go with the simplest possible tile – – I like your second one, the one that looks handmade. I wonder if removing the brown hardware would help? And going with something brushed and less “furniture” styled? I think you won’t know for sure how much of the millwork can be removed or toned down until it is pulled out. But I suspect you will have to keep most of it. I wouldn’t worry. It’s going to be beautiful.

• lbytwerk

I think it looks lovely! I'm so tired of the boring white shaker & gray scheme. This has far more character and style.

• jaxkats

@tartanmeup yes contracto will take up most of the cost. But I am budgeting 10 for countertop/backsplash, 5 for floor (I could be way off but better to estimate higher), 10 for appliances (definite range top, possible double oven depending on condition). I could be off but given my past design adventures it’s always double what I think and takes 3 times as long to finish the job!

@loobab i have beveled subway in my kids bathroom and I’ve never had a problem with dust! I am attaching pictures of my bathroom so you can see it in the light. I personally love the look!

@lbytwerk Every. Kicthen. Is. The. Sameee! although I do loveeee the white shaker inset, I see it everywhere! I am almost relieved I decided on these cabinets to step out of what seems to have become the white & gray kitchen comfort zone. I love cooking, and although I’m not a messy cook...there is a ton of wear and tear in my kitchen so white would just be very dangerous for me!

• loobab

Hi Jaclyn-

Your bathroom is great, thank you!

I love your floor, what is it?

• jaxkats

@tartanmeup the counter will have to be changed in order to fit the layout of my kitchen

• H D

I just saw this article on the dilemma about a cream kitchen and it discusses incorporating white and cream together. Sharing it here in case you are interested.
    https://homeglowdesign.com/2016/08/27/cream-white-kitchens-stroke-genius/

• RedRyder

If you remove the corbels and scroll design from the hood, it will be simpler and look just fine. I’m concerned that everything you might want to remove to simplify your cleaning life will leave unpainted areas.

Have you taken one of the doors to a stone yard? It makes sense that you can’t transfer the countertop to your kitchen, but I would definitely shop with a door, IN PERSON, to find the right stone. The color is tricky.

Beth H. :
    yesterday
    last modified: yesterday

I agree, if you take out all of the fluted, ornate trim, the scrolling, the corbels and fussy crown molding, it would calm it down a bit and look a little better.

For a countertop choice, I think Taj Majal would be dead on (someone else mentioned it)

Then, look into Fireclay tile and grab some samples. they have a lot of whites/creams or even a soft beige that would work w/your cabinet/glaze color. they will send you samples.

here is a similar kitchen (or two) w/Taj and what your cabinets would look like toned down a bit

(I like the idea of doing some glass in some of your upper doors. You might want to consider that)

Ignore the backsplash and the gray color on these. but the doors on both of these pics are similar to yours.

here's taj w/off white cabinets and a beveled tile backsplash. Looks good

btw, Tilebar carries this Dunmore 8x8 tile. could work w/your cabs/countertop, and fits the cabinet style.

another pic of similar glazed cabinets, with a quartz counter. But notice how the added wood ceiling, flooring AND some glass inserts in the doors help to modernize the look a bit more.

• Jar G
    yesterday

I just love the fact that you decided to forgo white cabinets because of wear and tear by selecting cabinets that already look like they've got a fair amount of wear and tear!

• Gcubed
    yesterday

I can't wait to see how this ends up! How exciting for you!

• jaxkats
    yesterday

@Jar G certainly these cabinets don’t look worn and torn! The glaze may disguise some “dirt” but even if they did have a distressed look...people pay good money for a new pair of denim that already has that broken in look, too! The wear and tear I’m speaking of are dirty little hands ravaging through every single cabinet leaving fingerprints on every square inch imaginable in search of a cookie! Trust me...ive seen it happen 💆🏻‍♀️

@loobab thank you! 2” hexagon polished Carrara marble

@H D perfect timing! Thanks for posting. There were some beautiful kitchens in article!!

• jaxkats
    yesterday

@Beth H. : i think that pic sold me on beveled subway! I just love the look and shine and dimension! I like the taj too but am concerned it will all be one color and may need something to pop. Maybe it will depend on the slab?? It looks beautiful and luxurious. There are 2 25 inch glass cabinets in the kitchen. I haven’t thought about adding more yet...was thinking to put one on each side of the sink.

• tozmo1
    yesterday

Hooray for you! I love to see things recycled and also love to see people who don't fall prey to the, "I must have everything new and perfect NOW!" mindset. Three kids under 5? You have your priorities straight. Keep up the good work of recycle, reuse, save the college fund. :-)

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    yesterday

I love your idea and think you've got a great deal! I would consider changing the finish to a cleaner white. With young kids, it'll be easier to SEE the marks, than with the stained creases that are there now. I agree the corbels are a bit much. Leave them off. I personally would not have the fancy range hood scroll. It'll collect dust... I remember my mother harassing all 6 of us to come back and clean up our messes. I'm sure we were a pain to her but consider how much easier it'll be to see where the mess is

• ILoveRed
    yesterday

Renovationangel ..just looked at their site. Fascinating. 10K for all of these beautiful cabinets and appliances. Unreal.

do they ship or do you have to pick up? Can I ask the brand and if you are still able to order pieces if you find they are needed?

no way I would desecrate these cabinets by trying to remove the frou frou stuff. Just tone down everything else and it will be awesome.

looking forward to watching your project.

• jaxkats
    yesterday

@ILoveRed to be honest, the kitchen package was 9,000...with tax and delivery it came to just over 10. I believe their warehouses are in NJ and also Cali. You are able to pick up, but it seems like a tremendous amount of work! The shipping charges are $4+ish/mile. It’s a very cool concept, and like ive said, a risk worth taking!

• RedRyder
    yesterday

I don’t think Taj countertops will be boring. You might like them if you see the slabs in person. A lighter color will definitely make the kitchen look more modern.

• Silverlined
    yesterday

@jaxkats Taj Mahal, particularly the lower quality pieces that are now coming from locations that have already been quarried very deeply, is not a countertop that "pops." If you meant for your counters to be the star of your kitchen, I would spread the search net wider.

BeverlyFLADeziner
    yesterday

$10k is never a deal if you really wanted this and settled for that because it was 'a deal' Also, you must always as yourself the next question.........if you have to sell the house, is the first thing your realtor is going to tell you is that you either have to replace the kitchen or discount the price because the Tuscan kitchen doesn't work in your Cape Cod house.

I'd at least have all the cabinets sprayed white before then entered the house. That yellow finish is terrible to have to work around.

• nbadawi
    7 hours ago
    last modified: 7 hours ago

oh wow. I just moved into a home that has the same exact cabinets and color in both the kitchen and dining room. And from day 1, the yellow color always bothered me and I am planning to have it sprayed and removing the ornate details. ( is yours a bowl of fruit?) I think it might be worth looking into what that cost would be. I also will be changing hardware and possibly adding glass to some of the doors, changing the yellow toned countertop and painting the kitchen and dining. It currently gives my kitchen house a country look and I would prefer a more updated look. Our countertop doesn't help it either since it also is in a yellow swirled dark tone so it only makes our cabinets look more yellow.

• RedRyder
    7 hours ago

Beverly: in ten years, if she needs to sell, maybe brown will be in fashion. She got a great deal and is excited about it.

• Jar G
    7 hours ago

@RedRyder Actually kinda sounded to me like the OP was unsure of her purchase, wanted to rationalize it by saying she got a good deal and would be easier to clean than the kitchen she really wanted and was looking for someone to tell her she made the right choice. Given those circumstances I don’t think it is out of line to point out that a deal really isn’t a deal if you’re settling for something different from what you really want. The yellow finish of these cabinets is definitely a particular taste and will stick out even more given our knowledge of the rest of the OP’s home. They are also no easier to keep clean than the cabinets the OP really wanted. A deal is a deal but but admit to yourself you settled and don’t ask for people to rationalize your choice.

• hu1967910
    6 hours ago

Make it yours, even if that means changing a few elements. That's the fun part of re-purposing. And phooey on the resale issue. A high-volume, experienced realtor in our market told us we had two choices: either paint our "dated" glazed, cream-colored, French Country cabinets (about 15 yrs old, but pristine condition), or list our house more than $60K below our desired listing price. We chose a different realtor and the house sold AT our listing price in three days. Who can predict that kind of thing?

• Silverlined
    6 hours ago
    last modified: 6 hours ago

OP had a $60K budget on this reno and only itemized half of it for us, so seems she could get a pro paint job for any color her heart desired if it turns out the current finish doesn't work for her after installation. I just took a look at the Renovation Angel website where she bought the cabinetry, and it looks like a fabulous company. They have showrooms in New York, West Palm Beach, Chicago, and Beverly Hills. A Christopher Peacock kitchen currently in their listings is selling for under $16K. Many of the kitchens for sale are not yet uninstalled, with the idea to be sold first, then uninstalled and shipped.

• jaxkats
    5 hours ago

thanks @Silverlined! I’m sure you noticed there are also plenty white inset cabinets on that site as well. There are multiple reasons why I didnt pick them, and I had plenty of options to do so! I am not at the point in my life where a WHITE kitchen will work for me, and anyone who has/had small kids will get it! My cleaning girls are excellent, and I will be sure to keep the Karens on this thread updated with weekly cleaning reports on the ornate Tuscan details of my hideous yellow cabinets 😂 Painting is not an option for me right now as I actually do like the color, and like I said white is NOT an option. It’s cream....not buttercream, and obviosuly the cabinets in the pictures picked up colors from the backsplash, floor, and even paint, which will all be different in my home. It’s funny because I’ve always wondered who the first person was to make center islands a different color than the rest of the kitchen. WHO made this decision! I never understood that trend and wondered if they bought a display piece and it just worked so they went with it. I don’t agree with it, but it’s always look pretty in the kitchens I’ve seen, today...in 10 years, who knows! Anyway, these are my cabinets now. I’m stuck with them! And I can’t wait to post the beautiful finished product in a few months!

• Silverlined
    4 hours ago
    last modified: 4 hours ago

@jaxkats My personal opinion is that contrasting color center islands were an early rebound from the all-white kitchens that exploded in popularity after the French/Tuscan kitchen themes had run their course by the mid-2000s, the all-white leaving some designers feeling the need for more color to offset what appeared to some as a "cold" or colorless design scheme (many posts discuss this here in the Houzz forum). The two-tone trend with white as a base has enjoyed a longer-than-usual stay, and we are seeing new colors at the design shows as of a couple of years ago, and presenting strongly by 2020: https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-kitchen-and-bathroom-trends-from-kbis-and-ibs-2020-stsetivw-vs~130559031

• nbadawi
    2 hours ago

Who are you referring to as “Karen”? You asked for opinions. You’ve received them.

• bry911
    1 hour ago

$10k is never a deal if you really wanted this and settled for that because it was 'a deal'

Ummm, that is quite literally the definition of deal... A deal occurs when the utility received from a purchase is disproportionate to its cost. From a psychology perspective we know that deals are actually amazing for us, people tend to be much happier and more satisfied with purchases when they are deals.

• jaxkats
    1 hour ago

@nbadawi Everyone’s comments were sooooo helpful, even the brutally honest ones! There were 2 commenters that made me question my choice and put me in a bit of panic mode since I cannot back out of my decision. as of now, I’m not interested in painting my cabinets...but would love to see your countertops as they are now so I know what to avoid. I feel that a lighter color in my kitchen would work best although as others have stated, that granite on the island is soooo pretty too! I wont be able to make a decision until I have a cabinet in hand with me! Btw, I dont think it’s a fruit bowl....just an ornate tuscan design! 🤷🏻‍♀️ even if I kept it...I don’t think it will be end of the world!!! excited to work on this project and see what will come of it! Good luck with yours too

• jaxkats
    1 hour ago

@Silverlined that makes so much sense. I guess I never thought about it in a pop-of-color sense. I’ve gotten very used to seeing this look now in drop dead gorgeous kitchens. But to me, when this look started, it just looked mismatched! Before I purchased these cabinets and was stuck on white inset, I kept wondering what the next “trend” in kitchen cabinetry would be because truthfully, how can so many kitchens look identical. I know what I want and the look I am going for...hopefully it can be achieved!

• jaxkats
    1 hour ago

@bry911 😂 thank you!!! 10k for solid wood custom cabinets and appliances is definitely a deal! I didn’t settle for the cabinets I simply compromised on color because...kids!!! for example, yesterday my daughter flushed the “r” from her name stool down the toilet and now we need a new toilet! Pic attached 😉 when you have kids, sometimes you just have to “settle” to make life a little easier! And for the record, my daughter’s name is Paris because my husband and I got engaged there. I have always loved France, which is why I am drawn to the French Country look. Much of the furniture in my house is from Pierre Deux which was a beautiful french country furniture store sadly no longer in business. But this may help explain my style....subtle French country!