Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Seedlings Winning the Rebloom Contest in August

shive
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I am having a bit of rebloom still from registered cultivars, but my seedlings are showing the most bloom right now. Besides the ones below, I have two more seedlings with rebloom scapes that will bloom in Sept. Since the weekend rain, scapes also have pushed up on Ice Cream Emperor, Memphis, and Mystical Intuition.

Seedling Into the Mystic X Symphony of Praise started reblooming on a seventh rebloom scape this week. This is the only one I'm registering for introduction in 2021. It has a 5.5 inch bloom on 26 inch scapes, and it's evergreen. Bud counts range from 11-28. This one will have Coco in the name for one of my Gypsy cats.. Kay and Kate received this as a seedling last fall. Sherry will be trialing it in the North for me this winter and next season.

TUS x RE1 is still reblooming.

So is AP X Blazing Saddles.

August Frost x Winter's Angel had its last bloom yesterday. It ended up having 47 buds on its one scape. It started blooming on June 23, so that makes two months of bloom for this one. It's gone from one fan in the Spring to five fans now, and three of the new fans are pretty large. I keep hoping some of those fans will scape for fall bloom.

Tides Roll In had its last bloom yesterday.

Blood of the Martyrs is still reblooming and has another scape that will start by the end of the week.

Warm in Winter is still going.

I have two lates that are still blooming:

Tiffany Shade

and Last Chance for Romance

This is the first of my overwintered mums to rebloom. I have two red ones that won't start blooming until September. My two yellow ones bit the dust with the late freezes in the Spring.

Debra

Comments (12)

• Brad KY 6b
    3 years ago

Wow, so beautiful and such great stats! The first one you will be registering is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    3 years ago

Beautiful seedlings! It really makes one happy when they rebloom, doesn't it. We have two chrysanthemums starting to bloom. They too overwintered last year. In our climate, sometimes they survive overwinter, but many times they don't. We even had gladioli overwinter. That is unheard of in our climate.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    3 years ago

Wow, Debra, such impressive stats on your seedlings. I will have to put the August Frost X on my purchase list when you register it. I’m looking forward to seeing how Coco does here next season. It’s Already responding quite well to being relocated, Noticeably sending up New foliage.

Sherry

• lilykate7a
    3 years ago

I agree with Sherry-that August Frost seedling is very impressive with those stats. Other seedlings are looking good too. Tides Roll In has a lot going on in that bloom.

• Nancy 6b
    3 years ago

Lots of lovely color in your garden. The seedlings look so pretty, and good bud counts too. Blood of the Martys is really doing good for you, beautiful bloom. I almost bought Warm in Winter and talked myself out of it. Wish I had not now, but some pictures I see it I really like it, but others I don't. I do like your pictures.

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Brad! Once I discovered the more I divided the Into the Mystic seedling, the more it multiplies, then I was able to register it.

Nancy - Warm in Winter looks great about 75% of the time. With low night temps, it can have problems opening and tends to canoe. I don't have anything negative to say about Blood of the Martyrs. It always opens well and 95% of the time has cllean blooms. It' pold and pollen fertile too!

Kate - Tides Roll In doe have a lot of bells and whistles. The drawback is the muddy petal color when night temps are low.

Sherry - I really look forward to seeing the August Frost seedling next year when it's blooming as a clump.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Well, it is a beauty here and it rebloomed here too, so I consider it a wiinner, That Blazing Saddles is a beauty, but it isn't the only one.I had eleven blooming today. And a couple more yet to rebloom plus Great Aunt Picklebody put up three more scapes and Rainbow Maker four more.

kay

• shive
    Original Author
    3 years ago

kay - I'm glad to know the Into the Mystic seedling rebloomed for you too! It sounds like Rainbow Maker is reblooming very well for you. I have three rebloom scapes coming on mine now. It will help make September more colorful here.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    3 years ago

Yes, it will, but your lovely seedlings are doing that anyway.

• Julia WV (6b)
    3 years ago

Wow, you really are continuing the bloom season. Mums never seem to overwinter here. Warm in Winter is beautiful.

Julia

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    3 years ago

Love your seedlings - pretty, sound like great performers and so nice that they are reblooming! You're killing me with your Blood of the Martyrs pictures and commentary :) Warm In Winter looks great! I was not able to get any pods to mature on it... several set, but they all aborted. Maybe just me or the pollen I tried. I have tons of pods on other plants, so it's not the weather or temps that caused it.