Software
Houzz Logo Print
jackjess2

Need help with counters and backsplash, please!

We are keeping the cabinets (thanks to the input of Houzzers) and wall color. I don’t know whether to go with black or white counters. I also need help with backsplash.

The family room furniture will be rust colored leather pieces. Thank you for all ideas!




Comments (14)

  • 6 years ago

    I don’t think dark counters is a good idea. And I’m not sure “white” is the answer, but definitely lighter countertops. And then decide the backsplash

    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked atromper
  • 6 years ago

    Too busy?


  • 6 years ago

    I am thinking of using the above sample (Silistone/ Pietra) for counters and backsplash in this kitchen. What do you think?

  • 6 years ago

    I'd look for something more creamy as I don't see how that white & gray relates to anything in your kitchen. Need something more warm than cool toned. And I think you need the texture and interest of a back splash that isn't the same material as the counter top for more visual interest.

    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked tedbixby1981
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    This photo shows close to the true color of cabinets and wall color which are staying. i need help with counters and backsplash. I’m not sure if counters should be dark or light. The wall color is a bit lighter in sunlight.


  • 6 years ago

    Find the counter first. Then we can discuss whether you run it up as the backsplash or go to a tile. Currently your counter tops are more dark so do you like that as that would give you some indication whether you want to go dark or light. IMO if your walls are going to stay dark, I'd go lighter.

    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked tedbixby1981
  • 6 years ago

    I did a quick search to try and give you some what of a visual dark vs light,. Keep in mind your wall color.

    light maple cabinets kitchen - Google Search · More Info


    light maple cabinets kitchen - Google Search · More Info


    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked tedbixby1981
  • 6 years ago

    tedbixby, Thank you so much for the photos and advice. I am leaning towards white with a gray veining that picks up the wall color. The 2 photos were so helpful. I want to brighten things up and also add white sofas to the family room. I do like the contrast now, but maybe not black. As I like color, I don’t know if white will be too washed out as others have suggested. If not black or white, then what? I just don’t want to make a mistake. This is why it has taken me this long to decide.

  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Are your walls gray? On my monitor they look dark green. Have you taken a cabinet door front, along with a sample of your wall color and gone and look at slabs? Deciding off a little sample doesn't show you the overall pattern and good representation of the colors. Are you only looking only at Quartz? If so, it might be worth your while to go to a stone yard and look at granite just to make sure that there isn't something that sings to you. There have been quite a few people on Houzz who thought they would go with quartz but were surprised when they found a granite that they LOVED instead.

  • 6 years ago

    Silestone Pietra would look good with your cabinets and wall color. My sample has gold in it that ties in the Natural Maple. Get a large sample or 2 and put it in your space

    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked mcoledesign
  • PRO
    6 years ago

    Below is a design we did for a client. Note the countertop colors.

    Alpine Ski Home · More Info


    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked Randy Trainor
  • 6 years ago

    I prefer a light and bright kitchen. Black counters, combined with the wall color, would make this a dreary place to spend time in. If your choice is between black and white, I would vote for white counters and backsplash. The white will reflect the light from the single light and the room will feel brighter and more inviting.

    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked felizlady
  • 6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

    Came across this one. I think the counters are black with light splash. Medium color wall paint. Looks like good under cabinet lighting that helps unless MLS photo was brightened.

    This may be a good possibility for your kitchen.

    171 Lakeside Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506 · More Info



    171 Lakeside Drive SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49506 · More Info


    Elaine Gauthier Art thanked tedbixby1981