anniedeighnaugh

54 Outdated Trends...agree?

Annie Deighnaugh

I came across this site from Good Housekeeping by Elle Decor Editors on 54 outdated trends they hope never come back.

I was surprised at how many I disagree with, how many I still have in my home, and how many I said, "Oh yeah that's awful."

What do you think?

Outdated Home Trends

• maire_cate

I couldn't figure out what was dated in the first photo (also #19) - the living room with the painted stone fireplace, round coffee table, white floor lamp - until I read the caption that stated "wicker furniture." While I didn't care for the style of chair I didn't have a problem with the wicker itself.

But the funniest part of the entire list was the fact that I only have 2 of the 54 in my home and I am far from being au courant. I don't watch HGTV or read decor magazines and don't fuss over each room. I always feel that a few of my rooms are missing one or two last things where I could say 'they're finished.' However in my previous home I did have valances but that home was more tradtional and since we moved here 3 years ago we've become more eclectic.

The lamp over my kitchen table is a stained glass lamp. It was one of the first things we bought after we were married nearly 50 years ago and it's hung in all 3 of our homes. Thankfully it's unique and doesn't resemble the typical ones that you find in a department store and it goes with the vintage Persian rug under the table.

And I do have an arrangement of silk peonies and hydrangeas that I place on the dining room table when I don't happen to have any fresh flowers.

• arcy_gw

#1 I have HATED tile cupboards since the 60s when I had to scrub the grout for my mother!!

#2 meh-to each his own

#3 high end rich paneling will always be classic.

#4 totally disagree. Wood floors are an occasion of "looks worn" and unacceptable for working spaces. Tile is hard on your joints, cold and not indicated in my region.

#5 LOL isn't terazzo a type of tile?

#6 Personal choice-works in some spaces

#7 Pink NEVER "on trend" in my home.

#8 Maybe they do speak to their aesthetic!!

#9 I've never seen one outside of a dorm..so all's well.

#10 LOL tell anyone under 30!!!!

#11-54 Oh my who ever did any of this?!! What a hoot--don't do what we pushed back then do what we push NOW so we can make fun of you in 10 years!! These magazines need to be told they are a thing of the past and die a quiet death.

rearrange windows on house to align

Do you have photos of what your house currently looks like so we can see what sizes of windows would be appropriate.

Family room update...

Pale cocoa for the walls, but not the unit wall below the soffit ledge - leave all that cream. You will have to test the color so it works well with the burlap tone on the back of your shelves, but here's a good one to test. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7542-naturel/ Try some uplighting on the soffit over your bookcase if you have any way to get power there - that would be softer than putting it on the ceiling itself - it should aim straight up so it bounces around and sit far enough back from the edge to be hidden to the eye. While your electrician is at it, add pucks to the top front underneath of the two shelves on the outside - bookcase wall washers and get them on a dimmer. You can do that with all three if you get a shielded angle for the middle that shines only above the television. Those two steps will add enough. For seating, you only have a few choices if you want five to be comfortable in front of the television. Put the chair on the entry wall with the lovely gallery. Change out the sofa for a sectional with a short end and longer middle. Put a sofa table at the non functioning side of the siding glass door, and put the short end of the new sectional in front of it. This will give you wrap around seating for five. Also - layer in more behind - with different heights. One choice is to splurge on high quality swivel armchair counter stools - three of them in cream with burlap toned fabric. Ballards makes some, so do others. Good ones are expensive, but then they last so worth it. Or buy sturdy wood and add patterned fabric tie on cushions.

Need help deciding on new bathtub for master bathroom

A stand alone claw foot style tub is very traditional and would look great. There are also stand alone tubs that are tradtional without the claws.......

Island dilemma

Do you mean 5 people lined up or 5 people distributed among 3 the 3 sides of the drop down? Sorry not a pro and not good with imagining this without a visual, but I wouldn't want 5 people lined up all facing the same direction eating, it doesn't add much of chance for conversation! Honestly I'd do a table with seating separate from the island/bar area for the 5 of you to have meals, and just have seating for 2-3 at the island. And yes your little ones will be big in a blink of an eye, not to mention that you will have adults using the area when you have guests, so don't design only for now and for them. I would do one height, it would make the island more useful.
  • gsciencechick

#3 paneling--love paneling, especially in family rooms and library/home offices

#5 Terrazzo--yeah, try to install terrazzo now and see what it costs!

#6 better ditch my college alumni Tiffany lamp in my work office (well, I'm not there anyways right now)

#8 "Home" signs, never really quite understood these, so none here

#19 I think wicker furniture is classic, but we have cats, so it's a no here, LOL

#22, that's an awesome mid-century bedroom, and I see lots of avocado green lately

#38 lace tablecloths, I think they're gorgeous if you have one that can actually fit your table, you will pay for one in good condition.

#44 like many of you, I like colored cabinets. Still seeing these on HGTV.

• deegw

Were popcorn ceilings ever a style choice? I always thought they were done for the builder's convenience.

• Jinx

OH GREAT! My new guest room is outdated before I‘ve even started (rattan headboard ordered)! 😄

But seriously, yawn. How many lists like this are necessary? We have the internet now ... it’s not hard to figure out what’s trending and such, if someone is into that.

I say the biggest outdated trends are articles about outdated trends.

• Ocotillo

Yeah ... there's something that just seems lazy about these articles. Filler/fluff, most of which is simply regurgitated material. I can't imagine striving to be on the cutting edge of things all the time. What an exercise in absolute futility.

• salonva

Ok so now I have a mini project for later today; to read the article and tally up my outdatedness and or trendiness. I haven't read the article yet, but your comments have me intrigued. I will report back later. ( thanks for giving me a little something to do later today after I do my things !).

• Annie Deighnaugh

I counted up I have 8 of the 54...but there are others they dis that I like.

• Ocotillo

Although it [fast furniture] can be a great way to save money, there's a reason that antiquing and repurposing old furniture has been having a major moment. Recycling and reusing existing decor allows you to reduce waste and also collect pieces that are special and have their own story.

But, wait ... they want us to go antiquing and repurpose OLD stuff? What about all that dated junk they just told us to shed? (Like the apparently now-offensive Tiffany lamps.) As if! LOL!

Oh, and we aren't supposed to have headboards today? What the ever-loving heck?!?

• Kswl 2

I disagreed with about 70% of those pronouncements. Most of those items can look fantastic in the proper context. And at least half of the, are still popular today. Oversized leather sofas....lol, that sofa pictured was an amateur. in our current basement we have a 10 foot leather sectional from a “fast furniture” retailer. It has a ten year warranty and sits very comfortably in a room with much more expensive case goods (Baker, Southwood) AND two low consoles from Wayfair.

And I LOVE tile and wood countertops, and just bought an upholstered bed. So there! 😎

• Bestyears

Hmmmm, I agreed with the article more than I thought I would because I don't normally care too much about trends.

A few notable exceptions:

Edison Bulbs: I still like these, though in limited numbers. We have them at the lakehouse in a cool, handmade looking chandelier over the dining table.

Wicker Furniture: I always have a soft spot for a piece of wicker here and there, and I think it is classic.

Valences: The photo they show with this one is of a kitchen, and they suggest long, pooling drapes instead of a valence. Sorry, but my hardworking kitchen does not want long, pooling drapes!

• roarah

I have purposely tried to spend my life wearing and decorating with things not yet or no longer on trend. Nothing makes me sadder than when something I have worn or used becomes commonly used by the general public. I am sad that grey became popular as a wall color for when I painted my living room charcoal grey over a decade ago no one else was using it yet now I find it in all my friends homes. I love wearing bell bottoms and guaze shirts but every time I go people ask where to get them so I hope they do not go on trend or i will have to change decades in my fashion choices. I smile when I see my favorite style choices on dated lists.

• justerrilynn

I disagree with much of the list as it was compiled by people with very little creative imagination IMO. Although, there was a brief mention of “dosage” on whether an item could be acceptable and ok.

My biggest disagreements...

Terrazzo

Damask

Glass Blocks

Heavy Headboards

Colored Cabinets

Wicker

Zebra Rugs

Wood Countertops

With the above it all depends on the house and the mix,

• Ocotillo

I think anyone can take any of these elements and create a crappy-looking room. Conversely, anyone can take any of these elements and create something wonderful. Pronouncing something "dated" is indeed a simplistic term for mass markets; a dumbing down of design, if you will. Those who jump from trend to trend are the unfortunate ones, often never finding their own true SELVES in the process. And isn't that what it's all about? Feathering a nest that's uniquely you and yours?

• OutsidePlaying

Re the photo of Heavy Headboards. (Canopies, on the other hand, reign as an evergreen decor staple.)

Really? When was the last time you saw a canopy bed, except maybe on a little girl’s bed?

I laugh when I see these old photos, so out of context.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I have a canopy bed in the MBR in Maine. : ) It has a muslin fabric draped over it.

PS I wrote a huge post and the site just ate it.

• Lars

I would have to say that I actually do agree with almost everything they said in that article. I did put valances in my brother's bedroom over his blinds, but that was to cover up the top of the blinds, and we did not want curtains or drapes.

I would only do this in a bedroom or maybe a kitchen. I have a Kuba cloth half curtain in my kitchen that is somewhat like a valance:
    I don't love my kitchen with regards to finishes (except for my black quartz countertops, but I don't think it is worth the money to change it. It is not the focal point of my house and is fortunately a separate room, although it does have two open doorways without doors.

I do not object to sculpted side tables/night stands, but I do not have any. I also think colored cabinets can work, providing they are the right color and not the burnt orange that they showed.

• mtnrdredux_gw

The thing about both valances and borders is they make a horizontal line, visually shortening the look of the wall or window. To me that is suboptimal.

Who gets paid to write such drivel? Note too that right after pronouncing something dated, the author allows that it is a question of degree (pine, wicker, chintz). But that was always true!

And who needed to know lace doilies are out? Call The Globe!

First of all, many of the things sited as dated are back in with younger homeowners ...as always, whoever didn't grow up with it, likes it... terrazzo, harvest gold, platform beds, shag carpet, ferns, bean bags, glass block, convo pits.

Colored cabs are def in! White was overdone.

The author also confuses crappy with genuine. Crappy panelling, which was on everyone's rec room walls in the 70s, is out but real panelling? Uhh, no. Real Tiffany lamps? Uhh, no.

Then there are some things that were always a bad idea --- fake fruit, fake flowers, fake hides, ceiling mirrors, word art.

Many things on the list we know are suboptimal. No one chose futons instead of a real sofa, it was a budget issue. Ditto fast furniture. And no one chose a popcorn ceiling over a flat one; it was cheaper or it covered flaws. Duh

And really, can plaid as a category be out? Call Burberry right away. Or monograms ...don't think so

Wood counters out? Have they ever chopped on a Boos?

• mtnrdredux_gw

I would allow that tile counters are "dated" in that, outside of certain regions, if you see a tile counter it usually means the K is 20+ years old. Except in Maine in my butler's pantry. Having done K counters in granite, two kinds of cherry, marble, and ever pewter, I wanted something different. I have hand made aqua tile. So sue me.

And as far as lino, i adore it in checkerboard. And I used a floral version in a Maine bathroom, pictured here.

• Ocotillo

I'd venture a strong guess that the author doesn't even know there IS "real" vs. "knockoff / cheaper" when it comes to some of these items. They see a couple of Tiffany-STYLE lamps in the lighting section of Home Depot, and think that's the sum total of that which constitutes Tiffany.

• LynnNM

All in all, a silly article. I think Ida summed it up brilliantly: “Fashion is a fickle little moneymaker”.

• Lars

I personally do not like real wood paneling or real Tiffany lamps, but that is my own preference. I find wood paneling to be depressing, unless it is almost white, like the pecky cypress in Perry Mason's office. Brown is a depressing color for me, unless it is outdoors.

I can appreciate the craftsmanship of Tiffany lamps, but they are too fussy for me. They are fine for someone else, however, but I don't want them in my house.

• Ocotillo

I've never understood why popcorn ceilings are such a travesty. Unless they're nicotine-stained and smell of cigarettes, I don't find them objectionable. My folks still have popcorn ceilings in their home, which is filled with Stickley furniture and a beautiful collection of art. I defy anyone to even notice the ceiling. ;-)

• teeda

Must have been a slow day for the Elle Decor Editors when they came up with that article. Maybe they should follow up with an article on cooking trends they hope go away. Here are a couple of ideas:

Tuna and Jello Pie

Liver Sausage Pineapple

Ham & Bananas Hollandaise

• deegw

FWIW, some people do need to be told, "Skimpy wall word signs from Hobby Lobby are probably not the best choice for your walls". I feel the same about giant clocks in an average-sized room but I didn't see them on the list.

• Sherry

"Then there are some things that were always a bad idea --- fake fruit, fake flowers, fake hides, ceiling mirrors, word art."

But at the time, the were in the second article. You know, the stuff you had to have to be trendy!

I love valances, lace, and florals. Also, china, crystal, and silver for the holidays. Pink is one of my favorite colors. I love pine furniture and detest oak. I have vertical blinds on the sliding glass door. They stack completely out of the way until we need them once or twice a year. I must admit, I have never liked the word stuff no matter how it was used, unless it was "welcome" outside the front door.

This explains why I quit taking Good Housekeeping twenty years ago,

• Ocotillo

Well, Hobby Lobby is the devil anyway.

In my opinion, of course.

• Tina Marie

Ridiculous.

I didn't read the article, just comments here. It's kind of funny really. If you look at instagram, designers' websites, builder websites, etc. you will see that pink actually has made a bit of a comeback and I see paneling (also beadedboard, wainscoting, etc.) used quite frequently. It can be beautiful used in the right setting.

I would rather be different than trendy. I was just thinking recently, as I have been looking for a set of dining chairs, even if i were crazy over those frenchy looking (round back) chairs, or the x-back chairs, I would not use them because it seems like everyone and their brother has them.

• bpath

I love soft, light, pink walls, they cast a nice glow. Every several years it’s the in color for walls, and I get to feel like I’m ahead of the trend — for a few months. Then a designer or and article like this comes out and bursts my balloon again. Oh well. What comes around goes around.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I would rather be different than trendy.

Yes!

• justerrilynn

Lars, Pecky Cypress paneling is so beautiful! When I first moved to Florida, a long time ago there were still remnants in the older Spanish style homes. My dream house would have higher ceilings covered in Pecky. I would also have some wicker in the mix.

• cawaps

Some of these fell out of favor for functional reasons, like tile counters (grout, uneven) and shag carpet (allergies, dust mites).

I never liked Edison bulbs (12) and have been anxiously waiting for them to fall out of favor (performance reasons, again). But I don't really think they have; it's wishful thinking on the part of the writer.

I doubt damask (15) will every be "out" for traditional spaces, but not a lot of people are doing traditional interiors these days.

When I was married, my husband belonged to a yacht club that had Hollywood lights (21) in the ladies room. This was before LEDs, and you could just feel the heat radiating from all those bulbs.

I didn't feel it was necessary to include items that would have appeared on this kind of list in the 80s or 90s (#22, avocado green and harvest gold, really? #54 conversation pits?). And the refrigerator in slide 27 is not avocado.

I like glass blocks (#32) in mid-century homes. Sue me.

I have quite a lot of these things in my house (Millennial pink, wooden countertops for a few more weeks, linoleum coming soon, chrome finishes, heavy headboard, dusty pastels, and fast furniture in the form of my $19 Ikea Stefan dining chairs). There are many more that I think work perfectly well in the right setting, and in some cases used with judgement and restraint (say, chintz).

• jill302

How silly! Thinking anyone reading this type of article already has the idea that avocado colored refrigerators were out of style by the mid-80’s, almost 40 years ago. We were on to almond colored refrigerators at that point. Although some vintage lovers would be thrilled to have the avocado refrigerators.

There are things on this list that I have in my home, I plan to update these because they are not my taste rather than because they are not ”trendy”. Tile counters in the guest baths and my lovely Tuscan kitchen with the wine scene behind the stove. They came with the house and I will get them redone when possible, maybe even replace my current cabinets with outdated colored cabinets. Luckily neither my kitchen or baths are horrible, they are just not me,

There are other things on this list that I still like and I think work in limited quantities such as a plaid or chintz pillow. Others may disagree, but they make me happy so who cares. Would love terrazzo on my bathroom and laundry room floors.

• terezosa / terriks

What a condescending and snobby article!

Especially this:

Whether it's used in a kitchen or dining area, linoleum flooring is just unacceptable. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a more practical material like wood or tile.

Linoleum is unacceptable??! Really? Real linoleum can be the perfect flooring choice in many homes, especially when one is trying to stay historically accurate.

• Ocotillo

^^ Yep.

• lisaam

I think I need to serve ham and bananas with hollandaise SOON!

• olychick

What's more outdated than Good Housekeeping?!

• Lukki Irish

The first thing I thought of when I saw that pink is out was Amy from The KT. Could you ever imagine her without her beloved pink appliances? Honestly, it’s nothing more than an article written to fill space. Sadly, it also shows (IMO) a rather arrogant side of the industry. A lot of the items they name are not that old or they’re the “affordable” options for people who don’t have the budget for wood floors, stone counters or to update every couple of years. That arrogant side is why I seldom ever listen to what most designers say. Instead I might look for inspiration in pictures from my few favorite designers. Who cares if it’s dated or no longer the “in” thing if it makes the buyer happy.

• nekotish

"Whether it's used in a kitchen or dining area, linoleum flooring is just unacceptable. Do yourself a favor and upgrade to a more practical material like wood or tile.

Linoleum is unacceptable??! Really? Real linoleum can be the perfect flooring choice in many homes, especially when one is trying to stay historically accurate."

After having had both hardwood, tile and carpet (80's apartment) in the kitchen, I chose high end vinyl for the kitchen in our current home. It is far and away the most practical and comfortable kitchen flooring in my experience. Popcorn ceilings? We have them but it is so subtle that they don't read as popcorn, so they don't bother me.

We also have glass block. Again practical as we have large windows in both bathrooms that the glass block is in. Main bath is accessible from the deck so they are also a security feature. If I had a do-over, I'd probably replace them with etched glass, but as it is adjacent to the tub, should probably be tempered, so $$$.

I will live happily with my "outdated trends" as I am a function over form person and everything has served us well over the years.

• Jinx

I’m still cracking up at them listing avocado and Harvest Gold appliances, like those haven’t been on the “Out” lists for 40 yrs already. No doy.

Hey, everyone! Member’s Only Jackets are outdated! Pass it around!

• mtnrdredux_gw

Oly - touche!

• Ocotillo

What??? Members Only jackets???

• Jinx

My hair was 3x as big as theirs. 😂

• Joaniepoanie

I’d love to have terrazzo floors!

• terezosa / terriks

I'd love to have the avocado refrigerator!

• olychick

That isn't the avocado refrigerator I remember.That looks like a mint green reproduction. I don't recall colored
    refrigerators in those round sided ones, but the new, fancy squared off ones:

• cawaps

Yep, Oly, that's what I remember of avocado refrigerators. I don't know what era their example is from, but I would not call it avocado.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Late to this. Skipped down to say I started looking through that slideshow and started getting annoyed when I got to terrazzo. Really? Seems like something somebody came up with just to meet deadline - or sell something. Judgy and shallow, IMPO.

I see others here are of a similar opinion.

That's not to say there aren't a few things in that slideshow that are truly best forgotten, but wanna bet just about every single one might wind up being trendy someday?

And yeah - that's not an avocado green fridge - it looks it's from the 40s-50s - before avocado even was a thing. Kind of a clue somebody's clueless.

• LucyStar1

I actually like fake fruit. I just bought the Pottery Barn faux figs.

https://www.potterybarn.com/products/fig-decorative-vase-filler/?pkey=s%7Cfigs%7C20

I also have faux mandarins and pomegranates that I will put in a pretty bowl.

At Christmas, I like to decorate with the faux sugared fruit.