Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

September 2020, Week 4

It is hard to believe that September already is two-thirds of the way over. You sure can feel it in the increasingly cool nights though.

This week, some of the more southern parts of the state may see some scattered rain chances as the tropical disturbance off the Texas Gulf Coast, Tropical Storm Beta, pushes clouds and rain northward across Texas and upward into southern OK. A previous sunny-all-week forecast from just a couple of days ago now has been updated by the NWS to show increasing chance of rain early to midweek depending on Beta's slow meanderings. Of course is it going to rain. Tim is on vacation this week so we can build the deck off the sunroom and the forecast was for sunny mild weather the entire week, so naturally the forecast has changed to make the project a bit more challenging. I'd like to start the deck today to get ahead of the possible rainy weather, but he already has some sort of other chores mapped out in his mind for today. Somehow I bet it all involves mowing because everything is growing like mad since we had good rainfall and mild, sunny weather. Anyhow, it is a grandkid weekend so we'll be busy with grandkid stuff, though I am not opposed to putting Lillie to work building a deck.

In this week's cooler weather, be sure to watch for snakes lying on paved surfaces and gravel surfaces, especially early in the day and also in the evenings as they try to soak up heat and sunlight to help them stay warm. We see a lot of that behavior in the September and October time frame.

There's still a lot of grasshoppers around and we must have lots of mosquitoes hatching out because we've been seeing a lot of them lately. The orb weaver spiders have begun to retreat to their favorite egg-laying places up next to buildings as this season winds down. They like to attach the egg cases to sheltered areas alongside the house and shop building where the egg cases will overwinter and the baby spiders will hatch in the springtime.

The garden is becoming a weedy mess, but I'll just try to stay on top of watering the plants in containers until the risk of running into snakes will weeding drops a bit more. Usually I can start to reclaim the garden from some of the weeds in October as the nights drop into the 50s, so I won't have to wait much longer now.

Cool-season grasses and weeds are sprouting like crazy in the milder weather, and are a little earlier than usual. This is a great time to broadcast sow most wildflower seeds so they can sprout now and overwinter as tiny rosettes of leaves down close to the soil. I save poppies, though, for the February time frame as they normally don't sprout in the fall if sown in the fall. It is not too late to overseed a lawn with rye grass or to overseed growing areas with winter cover crops.

Army worms and fall webworms both remain active in our part of the state. I don't know if all of y'all are still seeing them, but we sure are.

Hummingbird traffic has begun to drop. I feel like most of our locals have left and all we're seeing now are the migrants moving through. Soon the monarchs will follow them.

Fall wildflowers have begun to put on a spectacular show of color. Many that normally bloom in August and did not because of a lack of rainfall have begun to bloom now, though many are shorter and closer to the ground than usual. They resprouted after the September rainfall and began to bloom almost immediately before they could gain much height. A lot of the pastures here are filled with glorious yellow daisy type flowers of various types, some of the late summer native sage, and various types of goldenrods. There's a few, though not many, patches of liatris in bloom. The native liatris plants have a hard time recovering and blooming in autumn if the summer heat and lack of rainfall burned them up and sent them into dormancy as it did this year. The few we have blooming on our property are about 1/4 their usual height and barely beginning to bloom, but we're just happy to see any at all at this point. The wiry little autumn asters that infest lawns and are more weed than wildflower to most people also are blooming.

Stores here have lots of autumn color plants and vegetable seedlings showing up in garden centers now, while parts of the inside garden center areas are sprouting Christmas merchandise that has nothing to do with gardening. I'm not even ready for all that.

Tomato and pepper plants continue to produce, although they are slowing down their rate of growth in the cooler weather. The zinnias, salvias, cosmos and other flowers remain spectacular and their colors always seem brighter and more intense in autumn's mild weather. The shorter day length also is becoming more and more apparent now as we see sunrise a bit later every day and sunset a bit earlier.

Turtles are moving around and visible in our front and side yard daily. I'm not sure why we are seeing so many. Maybe they are just out enjoying the milder weather conditions as much as we are.

Y'all have a great week!

Dawn

Comments (51)

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Ron was not sick, just reacting to the flu shot.

Niki thought she was having contractions last night, but I've heard no more, so I assume she didn't continue. She is soooo miserable and I feel it just looking at her. When she went to the doctor Friday she was on a monitor and was having mild contractions she couldn't feel. If she doesn't go into labor they will induce Oct 1 because they're concerned about preeclampsia. Her blood pressure is sometimes high. However last week he measured at over 6 pounds, so he's not underweight.

We're having a birthday party here today. Got vacuuming and most dusting done yesterday. Bathrooms are today. I want to change the table cloth on dining table.

I am really sick of watering. We put the brassica in the furthest bed from the house, so hose must be pulled out there.

I need to get busy.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I am about ready terminate all summer crops. The okra and peppers are still producing. The only thing that I water is the seeds I planted on the 11, 13, and 15. The beets, chard, and carrots are lazy, very few up at this point.

I have been cleaning up the wildlife garden. I had most of it seeded, but looked rough. My neighbor came back from vacation and offered to till everything I had busted with the ripper teeth on my box blade. I told him to go ahead, as heavily as I had it seeded I should still get a cover crop. He and I are going to plant more turnips and collards today. I got my john deere started, and if it will start again after my daughter leaves today I will plant more Austrian winter peas and deer plot mix. This week I plan to help my neighbor build an 8' fence around his garden. My daughter is to come over next Sunday and help me dig the sweet potatoes. The rats, or something has really been eating my sweet potatoes. I am hoping for a lot of small potatoes that grow off the runners.

I was hoping to plant some snow peas for my daughter, but it is a little late, and I think they do better in the spring anyway.

I am as bad about my wildlife garden as Nancy is about her butterflies. I just cant help it, I love working the land and watching things grow, all though it does not look like I like seeing things grow, because I ran over at least 4 pumpkins while I was brush hogging the wildlife garden. Everything in the wildlife garden pretty much grows wild. About the only care it gets is what the critters give it. The squirrels have sunflower seed hulls scattered everywhere.

I did see some of my blackberries and elderberries trying to come back. It is so hard to try to care for them over there because there is no water over there, and I have to haul the water the plants need. Although my neighbor did run a garden hose over there to get the pumpkins started. We plan on doing the same thing with the fall garden.

Amy, I enjoy watering about as much as you do, but I just leave my hoses left on the ground and mow around them, I do pull them out of the grass every now and then to keep the grass from capturing them. I have 250' strung out at the house gardens and 500' in the wildlife garden.

I had better shut up, I am just rambling.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

My garden has been invaded by either whiteflies or aphids. Tiny white flying bugs that swarm you when you try to harvest. It’s crazy. They make me itch too.

I had to water today. Even the front flowerbeds, which have been fine for most of the summer with the rain we got. I really need to start soaking it before next month so I can divide the daffodils. I have to give some to my mom and some to a coworker. They haven’t bloomed in a couple years, so I think this is their problem. I’ll fertilize then too.

Still producing are one pepper, one jalapeño, one random cucumber, 2 okra, and most of the tomatoes. Plus a ton of herbs. Discovered that my garlic chives taste like nothing, why does that happen? I have seeds for next year, at least.

Ive been having trouble with my blood sugar thanks to my steroids, but getting that sorted out now.

I hid a political sign inside my Tropicana rosebush, for safety. That thing has thorns like a medieval dagger.

• dbarron
    3 years ago

I've noticed whiteflies everywhere...not usually something I have..but in 2020..weird things happen!

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

I had a good visit with my daughter today. While she was here my neighbor planted the collard and turnip seeds, plus about 10 pounds of the Austrian winter peas. I dont know what we will do with all the produce we will get off 6# of turnip seeds and 3# of collard seeds, but along with the sweet potatoes and pumpkins we should not starve before Thanksgiving anyway. When my neighbor came over yesterday to get the seeds to plant he ask if he could have a few sweet potatoes. I gave him some of the slips I started this year and his vines don't look as good as mine. We went to the south garden and pulled up a hill of potatoes, all the larger potatoes had been partly eaten, he weighted the smallest potato and it weighed almost 3#. I don't like large potatoes, but it looks like I had better learn to like them. I am hoping there will be a lot of small potatoes out away from the vines.

My neighbor is not going to build his garden fence this week, so I will spend some of my time digging potatoes, working on the house and tractors. I also need to do some work on another neighbors house. It seems as though a person never gets caught up on his chores.

Rebecca, I am sorry about your medical problems. It seems that as we age we have more medical issues to go along with all the other things we have to deal with.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Dawn, thanks for telling about the wet soil and okra on last weeks post. I had come to that conclusion... but low and behold... while I was gone this week, I got more okra. I thought it wasn't going to be hot enough for it.

As you can see, I also got some more tomatoes. I will dehydrate most of this.

I went camping last week. Had a fine time.

My sister said, I sure look like I wear summer clothes in my pictures... and I told her, it feels like what you have for summer, which is actually fall temperatures here. :)

I am so ready for these cooler temperatures, but like most others, am not ready for Halloween or Christmas. Thank goodness I don't have the need to go to stores.

My lettuce seed came up, but none of my beets. I plan to build a box around my lettuce, and put the windows I had taken out in the kitchen on top of the box as a cold frame, when it does get cold. Hopefully I can continue having fresh greens as it goes in to winter.

I forgot to add this picture:

shoe is for size idea, I dug out more Bermuda grass. That chore should keep me busy for about another year. LOL

Moni

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Wow. This weather, Y'all. I almost complained (to myself) about being cold while feeding/watering everyone this morning.

But, I'm not complaining. I love it. It's energizing.

I started cleaning up the kitchen garden yesterday. It needs about a week's worth of clean up to get it looking nice, but I can only do what I can do. It was neglected this year. And it shows. I did a quick video for Garden Monday. I'll post that tomorrow on facebook.

I scored and found broccoli plants tonight. They're not planted yet. That will finish up my fall garden.

Mason's 2nd shower was today and I worked this morning so I am "peopled out" as you who are introverts understand. It was a church shower and so old fashioned and just lovely. I do worry about an outbreak of C19. But everyone had their choice of wearing a mask or not OR even attending or not. It was interesting to watch people visit, though. People are so starved for meaningful "in person" socializing. The lack of this is very unhealthy too. People (even introverts) aren't meant to hide out in their houses. Stupid virus.

We did our grocery shopping this evening and walked the dogs and now I just want to sit. I really need to be picking up the house, but just can't do it. I want to sit and drink a glass of wine. And go to bed soon. That's what I want.

How is it the end of September?

It should be April still.

My winter coat is still hanging on a chair in the 3rd bedroom where I left in back in...April? when we had the last freeze.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

We had the birthday party last night and I can so relate to being peopled out. People I didn't know (grandson's step mother and step sister and friends of his mother) 6 kids from 3 to 13. My kids and their significant others. I think it is having 6 conversations going on at once. We called my dad on the Echo. He got to see everyone. I accidentally turned off the video (no, I don't know how, I'm blaming the tablet I don't like.) When I called back he couldn't hear us so I had to call on the phone so he could hear the last group. That added to my stress.

Daughter has not gone into labor. I have Thursday in the pool, I think it would be so funny if that was the day.

I've been telling myself this week is about the garden.

I'm so glad to hear H/J say her coat didn't get put away. I have a jacket in the bathroom laundry hamper that I'm just kind of storing there, LOL.

I had white flies briefly, Rebecca, but the next time I went out they seemed to be gone. I have no idea why. The garden has had to survive on neglect. I've seen blister beetles a couple of times, but when I've gone out with the intent of getting them I couldn't find them. Some little gnat like things flew out of the mint when I watered the other day. The tomatoes have definitely been visited by stink and/or leaf footed bugs. I see the white butterflies all the time, so I know their offspring are thriving. However, I have a lot of birds and wasps, and they can have all they can eat. I have never seen a black widow here, but the step mother came in last night and had one of the boys kill a spider by the door. I said "you killed my pet?" She said it was a black widow. I doubt it. I let spiders live unless they run at me. Sometimes the dog tries to eat them.

Larry I'm so glad you got help with the planting.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Amy, I am glad I got help also. My neighbor has really been looking after me. He keeps telling me that he thinks I am his dad, he and I both are full of bull. We are as bad as two first graders, meeting after school and riding our bikes, only we ride tractors.

Jennifer, I have coats piled around also. I have an old Carhart coat that stays in the floor in my closet, it is too heavy to hang up, plus it is too dirty to put anywhere except in the floor. I use it for everything, if the dog needs to go out when it is raining I grab that old coat, its got so much grease on it that it turns water pretty well.

Moni, I could not tell for sure what In was looking at in the picture, but I really like looking at pictures of what others are doing. I think I could see part of a sheet of OSB, with a notch cut out of the corner, a left gardening shoe, some wood chips, and some worked soil. Is that where you were digging out the bermuda, or where you planted your beets? I will try to post a picture showing my latest gardening planting. This is the areaI added this year. I grew butternut and cantaloupe first, now i have planted ( L to R) Daikon radishes, forage turnips, Detriot red beets, purple top turnips, and then forage collards next to the sweet potatoes. You can also see deer tracks where they came up to snack on the sweet potato vines.

Jennifer, you can now yank my chain because my seeds are planted closer than you seeds, that I was yanking your chain about.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Larry, that board is to keep the area moist, so I can dig. I have clay. I can't dig just anyplace. I am about to head out, and enlarge that latest cleared area. :)

Moni

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Moni, I can relate to the hard soil. This is part of my south garden. The soil is amended pretty well, but still shallow and hard.

I checked the weather this afternoon and it said 100% chance of rain tomorrow. I was planning on digging my sweet potatoes this coming weekend, but I did not want to dig in the mud. I was supposed to have help coming over, but with the rain coming I did not want to wait till Sunday. I pulled the vines away with the tractor and a pasture cultivator, and then tried to dig the potatoes with a manure fork, but I could not even get the manure fork into the ground. ( A better man probably could have)

I then got the middle buster and attached it to the tractor and was able to peel the potatoes out of the ground with ease, but picking them up was not a lot of fun. I dont bend well so I just crawled around on the ground tossing the potatoes over out of the tractors way and then make another pass. I put the potatoes in mineral tubs and lifted them onto the porch with the tractor. It started raining not long after I finished with the potatoes, and I finished up with just over 3 tubs of low quality, half eaten potatoes. I need to get a new potato growing area because of fungus in soil.

I will just throw something else in for fun. We have a little yorkie that turned 14 on the 19th of this month. That little dog loves almost all veggies, and he is just crazy about sweet potatoes. Madge has false teeth, and the dog has almost no teeth. I sat in this recliner chewing up sweet potatoes for that dog till I was afraid he would get sick from eating so many, then he would cry want more sweet potatoes when I would stop feeding him. He is a lot like his daddy, because I like my veggies better raw also.

• jlhart76
    3 years ago

Aw, I have a spft spot for the older pups, especially little ones. My old man was my garden buddy for 17 years. And while our 3 we have now are our "kids", I still miss having someone out in the garden with me. Our boys are pretty well behaved, especially the oldest, but if a person or another dog walks by they want to go greet them. And our girl is still a space cadet. Just when I think she's learning she loses her marbles & takes off.

Nothing particularly garden related, working on seed organizing & planning for next year. Of course by April all my plans will fly and I'll start planting wherever there's an open spot.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Jen, our little boy had been driving me crazy today. I have already fed him 2 small sweet potatoes, and he wants more. He has Cushing's disease and is supposed to be on a special diet, but he is hungry all the time.

We had a nice rain last night and today, it was not a lot, but will be just right if we get a little more over the next 24 hours. I went out and check the gardens this morning, and all is well. The spot I scooped out to place the cold frame is full of water, but I dont think that will last long. I have turnips and collards coming up everywhere. The carrots, beets and chard are really lazy, I would guess that at this point we have no more than 10% germination. I think I will try planting some things in containers, I did not do well with my containers, but this is my first year to try them.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Rain rain rain rain. . . still.

Larry, your pictures always look so different from your written post descriptions. The gardens always look so successful (and beautiful) in photos. You are way too demanding of their performance! lol. Good timing on getting the potatoes out!

I slept in late--it was so dark! And raining raining raining. . . I deduced it must be very cool outside since no cats were bothering me to let them out. Great sleeping-in day! When I finally got up at 8:30, GDW was just getting ready to go to town. I asked him what was on his list. He rattled off a few things. He has been positively obsessed about this weed torch business. I got one, a smallish one. . . like a $50 one. It worked great, but the size dictates that it's good for small weeds not big monster weeds. Well, after I used it the first time, I realized that it could be an expensive way to kill weeds if used on big ones. A couple days later, GDW said he thought he needed one--one with a long hose. He wanted one to get cobwebs off the front porch (it's a really long porch--like 70 feet.) and shop and and. . . I made some smart-aleck crack like, "Great idea--on this log house and shop, what could go wrong?" Well, he got it--it's a monster. Now I realized I wasted $50 on the smaller one. A little communication between us would be good. Then he decided he needed an adapter. (He didn't. He just didn't know how to connect it to the propane tank.) But he had me searching for this unnecessary adapter. . . and he kept worrying and wondering what it should look like. I kept telling him "I have no idea what I'm looking for. I know exactly ZERO about propane or propane apparatus stuff. ZERO." Finally after an hour or more of looking for something I had no idea about, I flipped out. I told him, "When I say I DON'T KNOW, that means I don't KNOW. So if you don't know, either, stop!" I suggested he go to a propane place and ask them. He did. Guy fixed him right up, he didn't need an adapter.

So. This morning when I got up and he was ready to go to town, he said, "Oh, and I need for you to order me a different adapter for the propane--so you can fill the 1 lb tanks from the 20 lb tanks. Well. First, I don't plan to ever use the little torch again, unless I make creme brulee; second, pretty sure he doesn't either. Whatever. . . I asked if he knew which adapter. . . no. I said--"Oh, is that the adapter we first looked at on Amazon that was optional to come with the torch?" He said, "I don't know." This, first thing I run into upon waking up. The look he got. . .

It's a good day to be raining. I went on a book-buying binge last week and have a BUNCH of reading to do. I also am enjoying the non-90s outside. Makes it a lot easier to be outside working! I'm even making headway on weeding. Nothing at all new in the garden--I pulled out cucumbers and one of the summer squash plants, some of the pepper plants. We put in ornamental kales, pollinator plants, and mums. I was astonished at how many mums they'd picked up. I don't know if someone gifted some or whether they just splurged. I think we planted 7-10 mums--and fairly good-sized ones. I wonder if John realizes they're going to have to come out next year if we want to plant other stuff. I don't think he realizes there won't be any room in the big center bed.

Lots of white flies here, too--mostly in the peppers. We were lucky not having large infestations of pests this past summer. All in all, a good growing year. AND now I know what I want to grow next year and what I don't want to grow. Green beans, yes! Potatoes, NO.

Amy, hoping you win the pool. You all must be so excited!

Haha, HJ--I am so not starved for people visiting in person. I AM kind of bummed that our boat has been sitting at the repair guy's place for over a month now. We could be doing some quality fishing. GRRR. And I'm bummed about not shopping and eating out much. Bummed we haven't seen Amy, Eileen, their hubbies, and Rebecca for a LONG time. Speaking of Rebecca--have you had any lingering effects from Covid, Rebecca?

Finally we're seeing fewer hummingbirds. I can never remember when they usually leave. I think I've made note of it in one of my journals; I 'll have to look that up. Well. I've done hardly anything today. Been reading up on the Roombas. . . I need to decide by tomorrow or so. I want to get this thing ordered.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Nancy, thanks for the compliment, but all my garden is not a success. Here is a picture that is not pretty, but even I call it a success. These are my Old timey cornfield pumpkins in the wildlife garden. I dont know how much of the picture will show, but these were planted, and almost grew wild. I did, however, string a hot wire around them to keep the deer from eating them. They were watered a couple of times, but the soil is mostly clay, they are growing in grass and weeds, I did work up a spot where I planted the seeds. I planted the seeds about 4 to 6 inches apart, then move several feet and plant another hill, leaving all the grass and weeds between the hills, which were about 2' in diameter. I lost most of the plants to insects or critters when they were young, but I did have 6 or 7 plants survive, thanks to the electric fence. I should get at least 24 pumpkins, even with the plants growing in very poor conditions, my daughter says 36, but what does she know, she is just a kid, not even 60 yet.

I have enjoyed my wildlife garden more than my home gardens, but for the amount of work I am putting in it can't be called a success. I have worked the soil closer to the house,( and will work more later) contoured the land, and trimed trees, and lost a lot of plants, but I plan on it being a pretty building spot some day.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

It looks like everyone but me has a life, but I have my boots on and have been to all three gardens this evening. The rain has stop, but it had been cloudy all day.

We went to Ft. Smith to the Olive Garden for lunch. One the way back home I noticed that there were a bunch of crows in the wildlife garden eating the seeds that were sprouting. Many of the seeds were just lying on top of the ground. I got to feeling naked, because I had used up my turnip and radish seed supply. When we got home I called the Farmers Coop in Greenwood and they told me that some of their gardening seeds were getting in short supply again, so I will be going into Greenwood in the morning to check what seeds they do have. I like to keep a supply at home for erosion control, among other things, I just don't like to see a bare spot of ground, and Daikon radish, Ladino clover, buckwheat, Brown top millet and bermuda are some of the "repair" seed I like to keep on hand. I am out or Daikon radish, and that is my favorite erosion control seed because It comes up so quickly, and by the time it dies you can be working on a more permanent repair. While I am in town I will buy another bag or two of fertilizer for the wildlife garden.

I don't if I mentioned it or not, but a few days ago I mower a "two pass strip" across our lawn and tossed out some turnip seeds, collard seed, and some Austrian winter pea seeds, and it looks like some are germinating. I am glad I have an easy-going wife, because we may have a crazy looking lawn come Christmas, but Santa can stop and let the team have a snack, they probably dont get that type of snack at the North Pole.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Lol, Larry!

HU and I just finished planting some stuff he brought over. I *think* we are finished now except the garlic.

we are now sitting in the shop chitchatting about hell, the nephilim and quantum mechanics.

haha.

I will come back in a bit to catch up.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Nancy and Larry, we didn't get much rain at all. I wish we did. We had to water tonight. I am enjoying the cooler temps, though.

And, Nancy, if you're bummed about not seeing Eileen, Amy, Rebecca and crew...then you may not be "starved" for visiting with people in person, but you're bummed about it which is just a step below.

Imagine if you're a widow/widower and are completely alone in your home for months without any other humans to talk to in person. It can be lonely for some people. I can be alone a lot...and I prefer that. In fact, I'm nearly leaping with joy that I'm finally home tomorrow and am not leaving the house if I can help it. Both Ethan and Tom will be gone for at least part of the day, so it's just me me ME! If tomorrow wasn't an "at home" day, I might crack and completely fall apart. For real.

BUT, even I, a true introvert, needs human interaction from time to time. Extroverts need people more. It's unhealthy for them to be alone too much. They cannot help how they are wired anymore than I can help being nervous and upset by having too much people time.

We've planted a LOT of fall garden. The only thing left is the garlic which HU found at Elisons.

It's a beautiful time of the year. My favorite. I'm slightly bummed that it will be in the upper 80's this weekend.

Okay. I need to eat before I get grumpy.

Hope everyone is well.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Hu and Jennifer, that is a lot of garden. I did not put in that much stuff, but neighbor and I still have in much more than we need. My neighbor is planning on reworking his garden and does not want to plant anything now, so we are using part of what I call the wildlife garden. There is about 3 or 4 acres there that can be used to till, and the wildlife dont need all of that, plus they eat from my garden and lawn anyway.

Tomorrow we will run an electric line to the wildlife garden to power an electric fence, I dont like leaving my truck or tractor over there for a power source.

Hu, if I am not mistaken, we have planted over 10 pounds of greens seeds, Cox's army cant eat that many greens, but what we dont eat or give away we can till in. I still have, maybe, 15 pounds of Austrian winter peas to plant, but may save some back for fill-in. A lot of seed I have to buy by the 50 pound bag now because most of the places have stopped selling if by the pound. A lot of the stuff I planted this year I will save seeds from.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

I have an appointment in an hour. I have to pick the grandson up from school this afternoon. Out twice in one day. And public clothes. Yuck.

I wondered if HU has anything growing in Okmulgee. It has not been mentioned lately.

Ron found broccoli, Brussels sprouts and kale replacements seedlings. I'm going 5o have to hurry and seed Collards.

I better go get dressed.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Amy, HU does have stuff growing at Okmulgee but some of the stuff he decided to just put in our shared gardens. It's easier to keep an eye on. He can tell you more about the Okmulgee one, though.

Hope your appointment goes well.

Hey, not garden related, but has anyone tried any "home remedies" for a cat's uti? I think Finbar has one--or the beginnings of one. He doesn't seem to be in pain and is active, eating, and drinking...but I think he's at the start of one.

• HU-422368488
    3 years ago

About the okmulgee garden , Some of it got all growed up in grass and weeds due to the too wet spring. just couldn't keep up with it all. I managed to get some okra and southern peas planted by mid June into July. The okra hasn't produced as much as it should have. I planted enough of it to have bucket loads of it but I guess it got planted a little late.The " Heavy Hitter" okra wasn't heavy at all ,didn't even branch out at the bottom and now the cooler temps will probably hold it up even more. The Southern peas (Knuckle Purple Hull) did pretty well , got some canned and now it's winding down. I also planted a smaller patch of "Whippoorwill" peas which is podding out now, I'm just letting those dry now.

The tomatoes didn't hardly perform at all , the spring onions all rotted in the ground , potatoes didn't do much better. Got some field corn canned.Some of the ears didn't fill out very good. Green beans didn;t produce much , shell beans even worse. The spring garden was overall pretty poor. Too much rain for too long.

On the fall garden front,( when I can get enough ground cleaned off) I got a patch of turnips coming up , some rutabaga , mustard greens, several rows of spinach (laced with a few radishes) coming up (hopefully it'll overwinter) ,some lettuce , some beets finally after planting it 3 times , carrots , parnips ,Swiss chard, kale ,a little kohlrabi . For cole crops , just have a little califlower and cabbage. I decided to put my broccoli and brussel sprouts in the SG ( at Jennifers). I got another good patch of spring planted collards that survived the summer heat that will hopefully get me through the winter.

Got some "Trindad Scorpion" hot peppers starting to pod up now along with a little "Ghost", Habanero , Caynenne and some sweet bell , banana peppers.

That's the okmulgee report for now. Hope we have a cool fall for a change and not frost/freeze until later.

HU

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

• dbarron
    3 years ago

Looks neat for a garden at this time of year (used to something more like Dawn's description 'There's rattlesnakes out amongst the sagebrush' this time of the year).

• HU-422368488
    3 years ago

That's a row of califlower and then brussel sprouts and cabbage further down in between rows of fall shell beans

On the right a couple of rows over on the other side of the beans is another row of cole crops starting with broccoli and then more brussel sprouts and kale. that's where the cole crops are all at in that garden space.

HU

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Hu and Hj the garden really looks good. I have some peppers that are still producing, and my okra, which I just picked, and plan on pushing it out this afternoon. I will harvest some seed pods before I dispose of the stalks. I will only have roselle and peppers left of my summer crop. I still have two types of pumpkins left in the wildlife garden.

When I went to town this morning I looked for some cole crops, collards and cabbage was all I found. I did not buy any. I bought 2 bags of fertilizer, 1 oz of carrot seeds and 1 oz of China rose radish seeds, and 4 lbs of Daikon radish seeds. I use the Daikon for erosion control and busting up clay soil. I tried them in the flower bed in the wildlife garden last fall, I think they helped, so I planted them again this year.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Thanks, Larry.

It was nice to be home today. I never get as much accomplished as I hope, but I did get my laundry done (Tom and Ethan do their own laundry). I can stop wearing my Christmas undies now!

Oh...report on Roomba. I like it. It really does work. Is it perfect? No. But, I think if you clean your floors and baseboard really well before ever using the Roomba daily, it would prevent the dust bunnies from getting to the hard to reach areas. Does that make sense? The trick would be to use it daily so the dirt/dust won't collect in those areas. This thing goes under my couches--super cool. I am going to purchase one. I'm a fan.

I also pickled hot banana peppers. My favorite pepper.

Watered the KG. So far everything looks good except two brussels sprouts.

Made dinner and used the okra that I harvested this morning. Not much to harvest, but more than enough for the 3 of us to have for dinner Okra is slowing down but hasn't stopped.

I chopped sweet peppers and put them in the freezer.

Tomorrow, HU and I will make jalapeno jelly and cowboy candy.

It's just amazing what a day at home can do for my energy level!

I even did my high intensity workout and mowed the backyard.

Back to work tomorrow. Some of this energy will drain off because of that, I'm sure.

Dawn, you okay?

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

I was just thinking of your loaner Roomba, HJ. I ordered mine on Tuesday. It's supposed to be here today. I asked folks on FB, and they all liked theirs (cept Rebecca, who chimed in with sister, whose dog ate hers. lol) I'm excited. Farmgardener, you're the one who sold me, actually.

Also, Jennifer, which habanero jelly recipe did you two use? I have a BUNCH of them and that's what I want to do with them. I'm thrilled I got so many. So did you solve the mystery of the Nephilim? There are plenty more mysteries in that big book! LOL (And I've been on a book-buying binge surrounding all that stuff. No plants for me this month!)

Yes, Dawn, hope all is well in your neck of the woods. I spent far too much time trying to identify mystery plants in my beds the past few days. I have all but one identified, and am glad to have them! Wild ageratum, muscadine grape vine, hairy wood mint, dotted smartweed, and more passiflora in two different places. No more random pulling of plants in my beds!

I took a bucket of produce to the school yesterday--I'm done with it for us, except for an occasional cucumber, tomato, or squash.

That's about it from here!

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Nancy, You'll have to let us know what you think about the roomba. For some reason your posts don't show up on my feed. I didn't see your post about roomba. I have to go to your facebook to see your posts even though we're friends.

I see that HU linked the recipe above. It's very hot. The jalapenos should be a little milder although they are pretty hot this year.

Has anyone checked in with Dawn? I don't want to bother her with a message if everyone else is messaging her and she's busy and has yet another message to answer.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

I'll report back on the Roomba, Jennifer--I got a substantial one because of the 3 cats and the shedding king, Titan. BTW, regarding why we don't see some of the posts. . . I'm not sure how it works, but for some reason, I also have friends whose posts I don't see. If one goes to Settings/Newsfeed Preferences, a list of all the friends will be shown with a star. I see most of mine, but realized there were some whose posts I don't see. So I clicked on the star next to them, it turns blue and then shows them as a "favorite," and will ensure that I get their posts. One can have up to 30 favorites.

I only clicked on ones whose posts I don't see on newsfeed. Weird. I don't care much for the next FB. I haven't seen Dawn posting, either.

That habanero might be too much for Garry and me, HU. lol We like hot. . . but. . . I had received a gift certificate to Honeyvillecolorado,com from my SIL. I got to select six jams. I got two jalapeno, 2 apricot habanero, and 2 others. But I swooned over the apricot habanero. So I just checked and see recipes for it online. I like apricot anything, but it was fantastic with the habanero.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Thanks for those facebook directions Nancy. I could only mark 3 more. A limit of 30 just SUCKS!

Moni

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

I totally agree, OklaMoni! CRAZY.

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

I love hearing about y’all’s harvests, plantings, lives and jokes.

it’s been great over here.

my new paid job is babysitting my own gra ndkids. Almost 8 year old and a 10 month old. Pure joy. Garden are coming along nicely. Roselle and cotton took up way more room than I wanted but too late now. One cotton plant has over 20 bolls set. Most beautiful flower. Some pink some white. My son said when they setwhite it means they are done setting bolis.

long beans okra and herbs are really putting out right now. I made herb salts for family for Christmas. Four types of basil mint oregano and rosemary. Smells amazing.

remember a while back I mentioned I wanted earthway seeder well I found one on fb market. Great price and seven seed plates.

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

wasn’t done yet

I got my first three pods of African x. They will be properly roasted tomorrow. I have been getting more peas lately but not what I should. The rest of the saved seed will be e eaten

And I will stay with fresh seed next year.

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Herb salts? Kim, tell me more.

Moni

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Moni, not sure if Kim does her salts this way, but I like this video. Kim, good to see you! I am sad that we haven't gotten together!

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Yes Moni

herb salts are a great way to preserve your he rbs and they stay more fragrant than drying. I just put my salt and herbs in food processor type thing and blend. Air dry or use dehydrator on lowest temp dry and store. I use mason jars.

Jennifer

i love Elliot homestead. It’s probably a good thing I haven’t ventured too far from home. This week my frig went out and I threw a belt on my car and the battery died So many things

• OklaMoni
    3 years ago

Thanks ladies! Never thought of herb salt. New fun thing to try.

Rats, Kim, that's a lot of crap in your path... hope you are getting past it.

Moni

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Kim, it sound like you are getting some of my luck. Our AC to the house went out, I repaired it for $7.41, the furnace went out, the blower motor. I looked at it, but could not fold my body up enough to remove the motor. I called the repair man and told him what was wrong with the furnace, he sent someone out to repair it to the tune of $617.00, then my tractor broke down. The tractor may not even be worth fixing. It seems as though I never get caught up on gardening and repairs.

• AmyinOwasso/zone 6b
    3 years ago

Facebook knows my oldest is my son, but I can't set it so my daughter shows that way (may be the app). But my "adopted" daughter shows up as a daughter. I sometimes fail to see my youngest's posts and I don't get notifications that he's posted. FB is a pain.

We have the boys today.

Daughter will be induced Monday unless she goes into labor before.

Ron's last day of work is Wednesday. I called social security yesterday. The forms I faxed to them the end of August went to FAX limbo and were never processed. Emergency trip to the bank to refax. Mutter mutter mutter.

I went to the chiropractor Thursday (my appointment). There is a possibility, according to my pulmonologist, that whiplash in the past effected a nerve that might be causing my breathing problems. So, I hadn't been to chiropractor in a few years and thought lets see if it can help. Too early to tell. He wants me to lay on my stomach. I don't remember the last time I laid on my stomach. For many years I couldn't lay flat because of my hips, let alone lay on my stomach. I never slept on my stomach. Now I have acid reflux so bad I avoid such moves. We'll see.

Three year old is very busy today and I am very slow.

TTFN

• jlhart76
    3 years ago

Amy, your daughter has to also confirm the relationship for facebook to show it.

So all summer I've complained about not having tomatoes. I now have about 20 or so, mostly cherry size. I should just quit trying to grow summer tomatoes & focus on fall ones, they always seem to do better for me. I've also got about the same number of peppers, so I'll get at least one more jar of peppers for this year.

When I do herb salts, I fill a jar with salt and chopped herbs, shake it every day to keep it from clumping. I also make sugars the same way. Lavender, lemon verbena, or orange zest are my favorites for sugars. Rosemary and basil salt is really good too.

• hazelinok
    3 years ago

Elliott Homestead might be my favorite youtube channel, Kim. Sorry for your bad luck of things breaking down. Maybe it's just not meant to be this year. I hope it's meant to be next year. I hope the SF is meant to be.

Amy, you're really busy! I'm not sure if I would be able to sleep on my stomach.

Congrats on your tomatoes and peppers, Jen. It's about time, right? What do you do with your flavored sugars? Lavender sugar sounds delightful. I like to make simple syrups with mint and lavender, but have never tried sugars.

Do you still like your roomba?

Larry, I've seen Blake Shelton's video God's Country, a couple of times in the past few weeks. (In fact that song won the CMA (?) award and he's from Oklahoma) ANYWAY, I think of you when I see the video--the tractor burning at the end of the video.

It's actually a good song. And has old film of the depression / dust bowl (I think or either bits of a movie about it) in the video. Hard times for sure. A lot of us can relate because our grandparents/great grandparents tried to make a living growing crops or simply live during that time in this place--"God's Country". That was rambly. haha. I'll see if I can find the video and post it. Maybe you'll enjoy watching the tractor burn at the end of it. LOL

I think I'll head out to check the garden now. We have Shower #3 tonight. It's a couple's shower and I just get to show up. Nice.

• Nancy RW (zone 7)
    3 years ago

Well. Same here, Amy--it has been a long time since I lay on my stomach. Wouldn't it be terrific if chiropractic care would help? I am so sorry for the mess with Ron's SS. Is Medicare set up? A busy week in your family next week. Sorry you didn't win the pool. What's little 3-yr old working on today?

I'm about done working for the day. Didn't get enough sleep last night. We have a big thumbs up for the Roomba. BUT. The dust bin on them is very small, so we decided to thoroughly vacuum the house and then run the Roomba daily in various rooms, so as to keep the floors clean. But when I put the Roomba in our bedroom after Garry vacuumed (and he vacuums very thoroughly), it still filled up two more times before it finished! We were astonished--and impressed. GDW said, "EVERYONE should have one." LOL I agreed. It will be so cool to have pretty clean floors all the time! Plus, it will make me keep my stuff picked up.

I have to order groceries for pick up tomorrow--including my apricots, sugar and pectin. I'm excited for the upcoming apricot habanero jam. And was inspired by your herb salts, Kim. So decided I'd order a bunch of mesh bags and make herb sachets.

• Rebecca (7a)
    3 years ago

This is half the basil harvest. Processing it now so I can start turning it into pesto later. Keeping me busy while I watch the game.

• jlhart76
    3 years ago

Flavored sugars are good for cooking. Sprinkle the lemon verbena one on an apple pie crust for a little hint of zest. Use lavender in sugar cookies. If you make lemonade or sweet tea, just about all of them are good. Mint for brownies. And oddly, some of the basil sugars are good in desserts. It gives just a hint of flavor, not enough to notice.

I still like Rosie (that's what we named her). She doesn't do very well going from tile to carpet, so I usually just run her in the dining room & kitchen, then again in the hallway. And our older dog is having issues with our hard floor (it's those vinyl planks) so we have little rugs taped all over the living room for him, which makes the mopping a problem. But overall for daily cleaning she's fine.

• Larry Peugh
    3 years ago

Jennifer, I like the video. It reminds me of stories my mom, dad , and grandparents use to tell. Times must have really been hard for many years. I remember my dad telling the story of when he was very small, the Arkansas and Mississippi river flooding. The family was taken to what sound like a refuge camp, everyone lived in tents, he said disease was so bad that people were dying like flies. They worked along the Mississippi, or Arkansas river in the cotton fields, and never knew anything but hard work. Dad left home when he was 17. He worked his way to the west coast and back. He could not read or write, and the family did not know if he was alive or dead. He made it back home the day his family heard that he had been killed. He then started to work in the coal mines, when called for the war, he failed his physical, but he said that the miners were not allowed to quit the mines anyway, because the coal was needed for the war effort. Dad left the coal field around Paris AR., and came to the coal fields along the Arkansas, Oklahoma line, that was when he met mom. They knew one another 40+ days before they were married. Dad died of cancer about 15 years later. I don't think mom ever quit loving dad. Mom is buried next to dad, I had a stone made just like the one she picked out for dad, they sit side by side.

I can remember mom telling about my grandmother, who was Chickasaw Indian, cooking meals out side, she used a very large rock to set the supplies on, and would build a camp fire by the rock. When I was young, up till I was married and had kids we would go on a large camping trip every summer and granny would do all the cooking. I wondered how she could cook so good on a camp fire, that was when mom told me that use to cook like that all the time.

I am sorry, this has not been about gardening, but instead about memories that the video brought back to me.

Jennifer, Madge and my neighbor are trying to get me to buy a new tractor. They tell me that I am getting too old to work on that junk, I don't see well and am not very strong, and my tractors range from 20 to 70 years old. I dont know what I will do, but I dont wont to just sit here and dry up, and I cant garden by hand any more.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I missed literally this entire week with a bad cold and haven't read anything but thought I'd pop in to tell you that I am still alive, and starting to get over the cold. At least today I feel like I'm not going to actually cough until I drop dead, so that's improvement over the previous days. I'll try to read and get caught up on everything later.

Tim has been building the new deck off the south side of the sunroom while on vacation from work, mostly by himself, although I did help him with the framing of the first two sections on Monday before the cold struck me down, and he's been doing a great job. Of course he had to work around the 2 days of rain and misty/drizzly weather which gave us a lot more moisture in the air than actual moisture on the ground or in the rain gauge, so most of the actual deck building was done on Monday, Thursday and Friday. I believe he intends to do more today.

We have had a few transient hummingbirds the last few days, but not many and it is clear they are working their way south quickly now to stay ahead of the increasingly cold nights. It still is pretty much prime time for butterflies and moths....and mosquitoes. The fields here are awash in a sea of mostly yellow and golden wildflowers as they always are when it is time for the monarchs to migrate. The butterflies shouldn't have any problem finding flowers for nectaring this year---unlike some drought years when the pickings are slim in late September and early October. There's some liatris and autumn sages blooming in the fields too, but mostly we're seeing goldenrod, helenium and crownbeard daisies now.

Anyhow, I'm here, still alive, recovering from this wicked cold and hoping to have a week when I'm more tuned in to what is going on in the world around me.

Dawn

• luvncannin
    3 years ago

Larry we love To hear the stories. And you have some great ones. Wish I could sit and listen for days

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH