Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emilyinnc

Are only white or marble/gray backsplashes acceptable?

Emily
3 years ago

Seems like every house photo I see online and every kitchen redo or new build I see on HGTV features a kitchen backsplash that is either white or pale gray (often marble). We are in the planning stages of building a house with the following finishes in the kitchen:

* White shaker cabinets with navy blue island

* White quartz countertops

* White farm sink with apron

* Venetian bronze fixtures, pendant lights, and cabinet pulls

* Natural maple hardwood floors (5")

* Stainless steel appliances.

I really want to do a backsplash in the blue/green family, as we have these colors in our dishes and cookware (Le Creuset). Will I be hopelessly out of style if I do this? The tile I want to use is below. I have also considered using the white tile in this same line and just doing a square of the Marine color behind the cooktop, but my colorful side is yearning to go for the full backsplash. Will I regret it?

T

Comments (43)

• lawsonch19
    3 years ago

I love your colors. Go for it!

Emily thanked lawsonch19
  • artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I think your choice is lovely, depending on what you are pairing it with. And what I envision from what you have said... I like it. I LIKE it.

Personally, I'm so over white or grey backsplashes. Do what you enjoy.

Emily thanked artemis_ma
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I do too. IMO gray has had its day and is on its way out.

Emily thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • kriii
    3 years ago

I think that your tile is very pretty. Install the tile you like.

Emily thanked kriii
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Awwwww, you are all so sweet. I feel much better now! You know how when you look at a zillion photos online and watch all the HGTV shows, it is easy to start second guessing your choices. But I love this tile, and my husband does too!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i'm so glad to hear someone wants some color! I love that color.

however, I'm a little concerned about the small size arabesque shape. (which actually looks like pool tile. If you love that shape, go w/the bigger arabesque)
    you really shouldn't go smaller than this for the backsplash.

Tilebar also carries this Nabi Harlequin in an Arctic blue. I have a sample. this is beautiful. you get 5 samples for $5 over there. take a look.

https://www.tilebar.com/shop-by-colors-now/blue.html?filtertileuse=Backsplash&p=3

Winchester 3x12 tile

comes in this color, Pasture, below. you could do it in the herringbone layout.

also, why don't you consider a soft gold hardware? or is the venetian bronze light enough? against a dark blue cab, it might get lost.

Emily thanked Beth H. :
  • malabacat
    3 years ago

Your tile is beautiful. Go for it if you love it. When we remodeled 6 years ago the all white kitchen was the thing (and still is, or so it seems). We chose light wood cabinets, gray quartz counters and a teal backsplash. I love our kitchen to this day. The teal backsplash brings the room alive. As others said, do what makes you happy.

Emily thanked malabacat
  • Maureen
    3 years ago

Could even go a bit darker to compliment the navy island. If you both love what you chose, more options are probably just confusing vs helpful. Your decisions sound lovely

Emily thanked Maureen
  • stillpitpat
    3 years ago

My backsplash is turquoise, so I say go for it!

Emily thanked stillpitpat
  • Fori
    3 years ago

Do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is bright green.

• Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

To address some of your comments and suggestions: The island is the only navy element, and is actually going to be a bit lighter -- I just said navy to simplify things. It's more of a royal blue with just a hint of green. And all the rest of the cabinets, upper and lower, are white. Our dishes are a much lighter aqua, which is why I like the tile I chose. I would not want to go too blue or gray...I need a greenish blue to go with he dishes. I have samples of the arabesque in my photo above, and it goes well with our island paint color, our lighter aqua/green dishes, and our darker Le Creuset blue-green cookware. Our kitchen is on the small side, so I think the smaller scale tile will not look like pool tile. Have seen this particular tile used in quite a few kitchens in various colors (white and colors), and it looks really nice to me. FWIW, I do not like gold hardware. It is a bit too trendy and glam for me and doesn't go with anything we have. We have an older oak kitchen table, and I chose the Venetian Bronze hardware to go with that. I appreciate all the suggestions, but I have already made all the selections with the vendors and do not plan to change them at this point. The only thing up in the air was the backsplash and whether to go with white or the Marine colorway.

• eld6161
    3 years ago

The backsplash is the easiest to replace if you tire of it in the near future. So, no worries.

I think if you love it now, you will love it for years to come.

• Sue Wulff
    3 years ago

This is my new home being built in Arizona. I plan on using this for the backsplash

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Love the color! Even if you went with what is trendy today, chances are it won’t be trendy years from now when you sell the house. So get what you like.

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

I'm all for some color but the arabesque shape imo will be out very soon. I'd select a darker shade that coordinates with your navy island in a shape that you love, but may last the test of time.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I love color -- go for it!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

The tile I want to use is below. I have also considered using the white tile in this same line and just doing a square of the Marine color behind the cooktop, but my colorful side is yearning to go for the full backsplash. Will I regret it? Will I be hopelessly out of style if I do this? Our kitchen is on the small side, so I think the smaller scale tile will not look like pool tile.

well, you did ask for an opinion. The color is fine. I think the small arabesque isn't. I certainly wouldn't do an accent of it behind the stove, and the rest in in the white. But If you like it, that's all that matters.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

I have learned the had way locking into a color...when you decide you're sick of that color or want to accessorize a different color, etc. That's why you see neutral typically in backsplashes...you can pop color in accessories or even wall colors for less money and hassle.

but it's your money and your kitchen, so go for it if you want.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

HGTV is hackneyed, pedestrian, and all too often soulless. You do what YOU love, and forget about what they continue to try to sell us.

Emily thanked IdaClaire
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is what the tile looks like as a backsplash. I do appreciate all the opinions! I may change my mind before we get to this point, as it is a detail that can be changed later, once the kitchen is mostly installed, but right now, I really like this one, since it ties in the lighter green/blue of our china with the darker blue of our cookware and island. I appreciate everyone's opinion!

• PRO
    dezign interiors, llc
    3 years ago

Go-for-it! The only thing I say when advising my clients is that it is not easy to change out. If you love blue, you could always paint the walls blue & then use this shape in a neutral color for the splash. But if you're not worried about tying yourself into blue, I say go-for-it!

• chispa
    3 years ago

The arabesque shape has been around for ever and will never be out completely, specially if you are doing a Spanish style house. It was very trendy a few years ago, but has cooled down lately. It will never be out in the right setting.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

That tile is beautiful.

• Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• OneRidgeOff
    3 years ago

I think that’s a gorgeous tile and You should go for it! If it’s any encouragement for you, i put in a vibrant saturated blue backsplash three years ago, and zero regrets, I think I love mine even more now. Like a poster said above, it truly brightens my every morning to see it.

Emily thanked OneRidgeOff
  • megs1030
    3 years ago

Go for it. If you love it, that's all that matters. YOU are the one who will be looking at it all day every day. Hope you share some pictures when your new kitchen is complete!

Emily thanked megs1030
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

i just saw these glazed clay pieces and thought you'd like the colors.

You can do a blend of them like this, or all solid color (I believe these are 3 dfiferent shades. )

https://clayimports.com/product/sirena-hexagon-blend/

they have this blue/green shade too

https://clayimports.com/product/glazed-thin-brick-light-green/

https://clayimports.com/product-category/solid-tile/mex-zellige/

• Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I love the first ones, the various colors of octagons, but they are way above our budget -- about 4x more than the ones we have selected based on square footage. As I've said, I'm very happy with the tile I posted above with our dishes and cookware -- was really just wanting to compare that particular tile to using white tile for the backsplash, rather than getting additional selections to complicate my decision. Thanks, though!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

ok no prob. just saw the colors and thought they'd be nice w/the LeCruset items you have (btw, I also have those colors in that line. so pretty.)

• Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, @Beth H. : If by chance there is extra in our budget (haha!) I would consider the octagons. But I suspect that will not be the case, unfortunately.

• lobby68
    3 years ago

I say please go for it! I love the tile and I love your color scheme. We are redoing the kitchen in our lake shack (I can't in good conscience refer to it as a "lake house") with white shaker cabinets, white corian counters, black pulls and this backsplash:

Emily thanked lobby68
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Very pretty, @lobby68! I like that tile a lot.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I would never use white or gray. Blah!

My backsplash tile is a green. And my ceiling is BM Wilmington Tan. and my countertops are Fascination quartzite which has green, gray, brown, black, peach, red and even some purples in it. If like me, you love color. put in color.

Emily thanked cpartist
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@cpartist Thanks! I do love color, and we have plenty of it in our cookware and dishes. Will also be doing dish towels and area rugs that coordinate.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

emily,,,I was just watching a beach renovation show on DIY channel, and they did your backsplash! lol. it was a darker blue color, but it looked nice. it was a very beachy-theme house, but the tile looked fine. They used a white grout with theirs, and had white cabs and marble-quartz counters.

Go for it if you like it. I love the color of the tile.

Emily thanked Beth H. :
  • C W
    3 years ago

Do it! In my opinion, it’s those kind of details that take a “nice” design over the top and make it fabulous!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    3 years ago

While I do lots of white/ cream backsplashes it is fun when someone commits to color. This house had some original blue painted ceilings (pre civil war) so the blue island and backsplash repeated the color in this newer part of the house.

Fulton · More Info

Emily thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :I like a beachy look, and I like the arabesque shape because we lived in Mexico for awhile, and that tile shape reminds me of that country I love so much. The edges of the tiles in the sample I have are taupe, and I was thinking of that color for the grout rather than white or gray. I will not choose grout until we buy the tile to make 100% sure, but that is what I am leaning to. Do you think white grout would look better than taupe? Thanks for all your input!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

don't think i'd do a taupe grout. (besides, it will blend in w/the edges of the tile and just look muddy. you want some delineation)

you can see a taupe color upper right. (too dark and too close to the edge of the tile color)

I really like the quartz color. if doing white cabs/countertop, I'd go w/the quartz shade. it has just a touch of gray to it and well let the blue color pop) by all means wait until installed, and have the tile guy do a few sample mock ups w/diff grout colors.

Emily thanked Beth H. :
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. : Thank you! Great advice, and I will definitely take it! The Quartz color looks nice to me too

• Emily thanked Sue Wulff
  • Emily
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks @Sue Wulff. I had actually seen that and think it's made by the same manufacturer as the arabesque I posted above. One site I remember when I first started researching tile awhile back had someone who combined this one and the arabesque in their bathroom. Thanks!