Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellesielle

Swapping Cabinet Hinges, Recommendations

ellesielle
3 years ago

Hi all,

I'm looking to change out the cabinet hinges on one of my lower Ikea cabinets. The current hinge is so large that it takes away valuable space from the interior of an already narrow lower (10"W). I intend to install pull-out trash unit, which requires just a bit more clearance. Can anyone suggest appropriate full overlay hinges that I can sub out (ideally with dampers)? I've attached two images below showing the one of the current hinges, and as you can see, they project over 1" into the interior of the cabinet!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)

• Celadon
    3 years ago

10” wide is not wide enough for your intended purpose. You need a 15”(external) cabinet for a trash pull out.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Agree with apple_pie_order. I bought the adapter at Lowes, I think it was a Rev-a-Shelf one to use with their unit. Other pullout makers probably have them also

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

Absolutely get a pull out unit as stated by others. Our Rev-a-Shelf unit is designed to have the cabinet door attached to it. This allows you to take off the hinges completely.

• ellesielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi all, I've already found the pull out unit that fits my current opening, but it doesn't accommodate attaching the door. This product is what fits/works if someone has a creative idea.

The smallest Rev-A-Shelf sadly doesn't fit (too wide)! Would really appreciate your insight into either attaching a door to the unit I linked, or into new lower-profile hinges.

Thank you!

• scrappy25
    3 years ago

Ikea has wider swing hinges used on their pantry doors that allow the pullouts. The 153 degree hinge will allow you to open your doors wider, compared to the default hinge.

• J J
    3 years ago

The 153 hinges open the door wider with zero protrusion so you can pull out the roll out, however the hinges themselves are huge.

I'm sorry if you have already looked at this, but would this work for you? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YP98863/ one of the reviews says that there is hardware to attach to the door so you don't need any hinges.

ellesielle thanked J J
  • ci_lantro
    3 years ago

You might get the Blum compact hinge to work although they are designed for framed cabinets. Even if you can get them to work (the spacer lugs would need to be ground off) I'm not optimistic about the cabinet holding up because they mount with a single screw. And you would be placing the screw into particle board..close to the edge of particle board... and not into the hardwood of a face frame. I have no idea if you would be able to match up the cup drilling on the door to the Compact hinge.

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

You are not reading the specs correctly. That needs 10” of clear space that includes the hinge protrusion into the cabinet, not just box side to box side. It will not fit. You can take the door and hinges off entirely, but there are no zero protrusion hinges. This is why cabinet companies do not offer pull out trash for cabinets smaller than 15”. The hardware to do so is standardized.

• ellesielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all.

@J J You're on to something here. Looking into it!

@JuneKnow The mount needs 10" clear, but the trash receptacles are narrower (particularly at the base) and the hinges are located above the mount. There is about 1/2" clear.

• Amy Lynn
    3 years ago

I don't understand why something like this Rev-a-shelf product won't work for you, combined with the optional door mount kit? Maybe I'm missing something. https://mobile.kitchensource.com/trash/rv-rv-8pb-cr-s.htm

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Look at the Ikea kitchen base cabinets available-- there are some that show a bottom drawer attached to the door - just the set up that you want. EXAMPLE You already have the cabinet & door, so you just need the drawer. Even though the site shows the cabinets/drawers as full units (and doesn't show drawers for the 12" cabinets) I do believe that you can buy the drawer that you want separately. Or buy the entire unit, and return all of the components except the drawer and connector. Here is the connector that you need: IKEA DOOR_DRAWER CONNECTOR; Then you can buy bins that fit.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    3 years ago

If your cabinet opening is 9 5/8" or wider ( without the hinges ) you can get the RV-9PB from Rev a shelf and purchase the door mounting kit.

• ellesielle
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio Interesting idea, but I think the Rev-A-Shelf may cost me less in the long run and I have less opportunities to mess it up! Thank you.

@Debbi Washburn @Amy Lynn You've both found Rev-A-Shelf options I hadn't been able to find! Embarrassed by how much sleuthing I did that I couldn't find these. Amy's is a bit too small capacity so I think I'll be better off with Debbi's rec. Thank you!