Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana_cohen28

Bathroom vanity

Dana Cohen
3 years ago

Hi! I’m hoping you can help me with my bathroom remodel dilemma. It’s a small bathroom so my goal was to make it light and bright but now I really need to scale that back somehow. It feels a bit to soft. I love my tile but it feels off somehow. My original hope was actually to have more natural and organic elements specifically a wood vanity but I had trouble picking one and ended up with white shaker cabinets. Is there a way to stain these to look more like natural wood - they are solid wood from what I gather. Or can you help me with other ideas ? My fixtures are chrome and I am still looking for sconce lighting.

I didn’t have a finished photo with the floor tile so here it is

Up close of floor tile

Mirror - i really like it but can be returned

quartz counter top( ignore the dark one) chrome pulls also returnable

Obsessed with my shower!

Comments (23)

• K R
    3 years ago

I love your shower! Everything looks nice, but it’s all very safe. I did a safe bathroom in my first remodel and regretted it, so in my second remodel I went a bit crazier and love it. You need some contrast! Do you have any inspiration photos? I would either paint your cabinets (what about a blue?) or use a darker countertop. What color do you plan on painting the walls? My safe guest bath vs my fun guest bath. I’m so glad I decided to add color.

Dana Cohen thanked K R
  • Me AGirl
    3 years ago

Floating shelves in your favorite colour. Accessorize with towels, soap pump, etc

• Lisa McLeod
    3 years ago

I LOVE everything , great job! A little wood goes a long way, adding some now is the perfect time. You could add a wood art piece over the toilet, wood industrial shelves over toilet, a wood bowl, basket, box for spare towels and toiletries. You could also add a warm color and texture shower curtain and towels. What you’ve chosen is classic and perfect. You can style it with wood and warmth now, and in 5 years, when style change, you can make style it with hot pink and turquoise, or whatever the style is. Designers choose the classics as you have, so you can restyle inexpensively. It’s perfect. And yes, that tile in the shower is to die for.

Dana Cohen thanked Lisa McLeod
  • Melissa R
    3 years ago

SW Urbane Bronze

SW Tricorn Black

SW In The Navy

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

I would try a simple approach before taking a big step and painting the vanity.

try adding accessories and floating shelves, maybe picture frames?

add a small plant?

black faucet and shower head?

What colour is your shower head?

Dana Cohen thanked Me AGirl
  • Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Me AGirl I am going to have chrome fixtures... I was originally wanting black but I decided to go with chrome to save a little... but I would love to add black in somehow maybe with the lights or mirror ... I was thinking shelving as well but my designer (she's just a hobbyist helping me) says it isn't her thing but I might do it anyway.

• Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@K R the walls are Sherwin Williams Origami White ( you can see in some of the photos... it definitely adds to the overall softness) Here are some inspo photos. I wanted a dark floor I probably should have stuck with that but too late to change the floor.

• Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Lisa McLeod Thank you!! Yes, this was exactly the goal to make it neutral especially because this is a pretty inexpensive condo and I would like it to be good for resale since it isn't my forever home. I do have a designer helping me but she is more of a hobbyist. I just know I need some contrasts somehow. I love your ideas, thank you so much! Any thoughts on sconce lighting?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

I was going to suggest the same regarding adding wood elements to bring in a more natural feel. You can add a wood tray to to the vanity with soap and lotion dispensers. Wood shelves as suggested. You can add a bit of black with a artwork framed in a thin black metal frame or a few accessories with a touch of black in them. You could add a sconce that includes both black and polished nickel or chrome.

• ram123
    3 years ago

Love your shower! We have the same back wall but when I posted on Houzz many told me not to do the herringbone on the side walls. In fact kind of slammed for it being too busy! We have a grey floor, white vanity and top but chose the Delta Champagne bronze fixtures to warm it up. Also room for natural color baskets under the vanity, same idea to add some warmth. We will have some greenery pictures too. Still putting it together or I would post pics.

Dana Cohen thanked ram123
  • Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Don’t be discouraged, your choices are lovely and bathroom can still feel organic. It’s like looking at an empty living room without decor.

I definitely would not paint the vanity or add highly contrasting colors as they will completely remove any organic attempt- think earth tones. If after room is accessorized, you feel it’s still not quite right, look into possibility of stripping and staining, but with a shaker style vanity it will still not achieve the look in your inspiration pictures. Accessorizing will have the biggest impact and hope these ideas help.

Your mirror is nice, but after adding everything else and bathroom is still missing something, a simple wood framed mirror would have a big impact

Add clay, a wooden bench or ladder or basket for extra Turkish towels, and a small natural fibre rug

You could add a floating shelf over toilet, but wait until you decide on mirror; consider simplicity when making decisions.

A shower curtain that reaches the floor is the best choice I think in a natural fabric and Pottery Barn has a lovely organic Belgium flax linen curtain that I think would be perfect If long enough

Not sure if your hardware is quite right and maybe consider other metals. It’s an important decision and I’d test out a few combinations to warm that area and create interest

Dana Cohen thanked Maureen
  • Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Maureen Thank you Maureen, you really are hitting the nail on the head. Part of me does need to just accept that my direction has changed with the white shaker cabinets and I am going to need to embrace it a little. My hope was to stain it sort of like the wood cabinets you show above, but I don't know that would work necessarily. I will definitely try to add elements. I feel the same about the hardware but I just think my direction keeps pulling me that way. My faucet is the delta vero in chrome. Could I try to mix metal keeping my faucet and shower in chrome and changing out the hardware and maybe correspond with towel bars?

• Maureen
    3 years ago

Metals are being mixed, but it’s a personal choice. Maybe bring home a few different metals and styles and see what you think. Accessorizing will be the thing that catches the eye, so try not to worry too much about the hardware.

Dana Cohen thanked Maureen
  • thisisnotadrill
    3 years ago

i wonder if wood colored doors would work? I'm not an expert in mixing colors in cabinetry so maybe someone else can comment. Or getting different doors.

Dana Cohen thanked thisisnotadrill
  • Me AGirl
    3 years ago

It may be too late to change the floor to dark as you wanted, but how about adding a dark floor mat?

Dana Cohen thanked Me AGirl
  • PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

Paint the vanity or add a wallpaper.

• Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@thisisnotadrill That is exactly what I really want… to stain them to be wood but I don’t understand how that would work either. The cabinets are wood but there is no “wood grain“ look to it so I don’t know if you can get that look! Plus I would have to DIY and do it in the future because I really shouldn’t invest more money.

• Dana Cohen
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Me AGirl im thinking I might do a darker teak bath mat but I have no clue if I will like it in the practical sense lol https://www.cb2.com/lateral-teak-black-bath-mat-21.75x32/s661438

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

Hey,

thats a good idea. Comfort comes first.

what goes under the mat to prevent drips?

Any updates pictures

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

I think all these wood/natural elements are great ideas. I would suggest copper handles on the vanity and, if you haven’t already installed your faucet, put one there too. The warmth of copper with the wood accessories will being the vanity into the mix. Remember, towels and art work really warm up a white room. Think Accessories! The bathroom will be lovely. (You are correct to keep it neutral if this is not your forever home.) You’re not done, yet.

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

Any updates?

• Me AGirl
    3 years ago

Still no new pictures?