Software
Houzz Logo Print
qz0g40

Help. How do I update this room?

6 years ago

I want to keep the four poster bed and the picture. Other than that, everything else can go. I think the room needs some updates. I really dislike the chair!!

I had the area rug placed under the bed because I couldn't bear to part with it. Not sure if it works.




Comments (33)

  • 6 years ago

    Can you post a floorplan with dimension? I'm having trouble visualizing the full layout (especially that spot that appears to bump out). Which is the entry door??? How big is the rug??

    Mary McKenna thanked Sammie J
  • 5 years ago

    Rather than centering the rug, I would try pulling it over so it acts as a runner for one side of the bed. I would start your update by painting your walls white. The beige/gold walls are making the room look dull. Your dark furniture will look better against lighter walls, giving you more contrast. You could try a white with a hint of taupe, so it's just barely a shade darker than your white trim. Then add some texture to the room, with a mirror, and layered bedding.

  • 5 years ago

    Matching nightstands/side tables to help balance the bed, different size rug that fits the space better, lighter/updated wall color, and add some curtains. The bed is beautiful! Would love to see more pictures of the room to get a better idea of the layout/size.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    I love the picture--I have the same one!! I would replace the rug with lighter tones so the room is not so heavy. Then I would get bedding and window treatments that would incorporate the colors of the rug. I would get rid of the chair and brown chest since they are so dark and heavy. I would make a seating area where the chair is by getting 2 smaller scale chairs and a table--something with white to add balance of color to the white corner piece (if they fit, since I can't tell from these pics). It will be a beautiful airy, quaint room.

  • 5 years ago

    Agree with calidesign about painting the room a shade of white after taking everything out. Then post a photo for suggestions on “rebuilding” with either some pieces already in there or different ones from other rooms (or new). The picture is a classic - it used to be over my fireplace in a different house. Have you thought of moving it to the left wall instead of in-between the posts of your bed? I love the rug but it’s too dark for this room.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Ditch the rug, get something a bit more current. restoration hardware outlets has some great deals on nice updated area rugs. Paint the bed! I painted my poster bed green black (Sherman Williams) but you could go with any color if if have a neutral room. Try the bed on the wall where the dresser is and put in hanging lights instead of lamps. Maybe do floating shelves instead of nightstands? Look at lots of pictures to see what you love. I’d try another color on the walls. One of my favorites if you want a hint of color is Ralph Lauren Sail White. I’d get rid of the dresser and cabinet and maybe get a new chair with a fabric that pulls all the colors in the room together if you want more color. I like layers of textures in neutrals on the bed. Have fun!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I think everything in the room works. I also like the wall color.

    If you‘d like a change, I could see a lighter rug.



    https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-moroccan-diamond-drop-tassel/Off-White/200GCDI03A-8011.html

    Maybe a different lamp.





    https://www.lampsplus.com/products/topher-brown-metal-table-lamp-with-led-night-light__63r83.html

  • 5 years ago

    Really don't care for the yellow walls or rug, I would start with a new perhaps blue wall color, something moody ans that will make the dark bed wood look nice, new rug if needed and new light fixture if that is just a plain one.

    O'More Showhouse · More Info



    periwinkle paint colors - Google Search · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Keep bed only.
    Find bedding and bed pillows you love, then work with that color palette for wall color, rug color and pattern.
    Two small nightstands with slim lamps or wall sconces.
    A lingerie chest in corner instead of the white triangular cabinet, but don’t block the HVAC vent.
    Instead of chairs and table a low dresser.

    Add art or photos, maybe a round mirror to break up the square furniture lines.
    IMO, I really do not like trying to vacuum a rug under the bed, so maybea runner on each side if your floors are cold or you just like a soft landing.

  • PRO
    5 years ago

    Paint; I'd go with a dark grey/purple/blue, removing posts from bed and/or adding a rug under the bed.

  • 5 years ago

    I want to thank all of you for your suggestions/comments.

    I took a panoramic view of the room and am waiting for it to appear on Google photos. I'll share when it does. I have the hardest time downloading Google photos to hard drive.


    The room measures 13' x 13' and the dormer is 5' x 6'. This is a guest room so I don't want to go overboard.

    I like the idea of repainting the room an off white or very light gray.

    RedRyder: If I moved the picture to the side wall, what would you suggest over the bed?

    There was a ceiling fan over the bed and we replaced it with the fixture below. I like it a lot.


  • 5 years ago

    An Oriental rug (faux or Persian) always works. You may want to add another piece of art. The big improvement would be drapery panels for each window. I usually put two night stands (matching or not) next to an bed full-sized or larger. You may want to add a low bookcase unless you are keeping the corner piece. A Persian rug offers an array of colors for accessories.

  • 5 years ago

    Thank you so much!

  • 5 years ago

    You can paint the walls an off white color if it's a warm white, or even a white with a tinge of blue, but gray walls will look terrible with your beige carpet.

  • 5 years ago

    Mary: IMHO the poster bed is more dramatic without the picture behind it (and in-between the posts). Your bed is the centerpiece of the room, so I would leave it to be noticed. I am sure others would disagree but it’s an option to consider. I would look for a colorful rug you love before the bedding choices. Since the room is 13x13, look for a big 12x12 rug to cover most of the floor. I just opted for a larger rug in my master bedroom and having a rug to walk on throughout the room is much nicer.
    A lighter (closer to white) wall color will also make the room look larger. Soft window treatments will help too (JC Penny is my go-to for discounted drapes).

  • 5 years ago

    I can see how putting it on the other wall makes sense. Regarding the rug. The only reason it’s there is because it was rather expensive and I can’t bear to just give it away. Would you suggest sheers to the floor on the windows? That’s what I have in the master and I do like the look. We have such beautiful views that I don’t want to block them.

  • 5 years ago

    Move picture above dresser.

  • 5 years ago

    Since you have carpet I'd do without the rug. If you will keep the art where it is yes to white walls and a coverlet or duvet the color of the rainy sky in the picture. That would be pretty with the dark wood.

  • 5 years ago

    Will the rug fit if you change the orientation?

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Not a Pro.

    I think you can keep your rug that you love. Take a look at this inspiration. The mirror above the bed, Two night stands (night stands do not need to match, only in color) with matching lamps. The art you love on another wall. Go all light bedding and accent pillows.

    Mediterranean Bedroom · More Info


  • 5 years ago

    Love your room. What if you oriented your rug in the other direction, so that the length of it would come out on either side of your bed, not at the bottom. Agree with moving the picture, and I would place it over your lovely dresser. Maybe you don't need anything above the bed, or if so, maybe something round like a starburst mirror. I like your paint colour IMO it blends well and look rich with your furniture.


  • 5 years ago

    Agree with doods above that orienting your rug horizontally under the bed could be better.

  • 5 years ago

    Second that. ^^

  • 5 years ago

    Ladies, I love all of these suggestions! NJmomma, that is a beautiful room. I can see my room looking very similar with a few changes.
    Thank you.
    Now I’m going to throw something else into the mix😁. The triple dresser that goes with the bed is currently in the master, but I need to change that out. What do you think about moving it to this room across from the bed?

  • 5 years ago

    Some questions....

    How big big is the triple dresser?

    What wall do you think it will fit on?

    Can you use the chest near the bed as a end table? May work under window.

    Can the corner unit come out?


  • 5 years ago

    Ladies, I love all of these suggestions! NJmomma, that is a beautiful room. I can see my room looking very similar with a few changes.
    Thank you.
    Now I’m going to throw something else into the mix😁. The triple dresser that goes with the bed is currently in the master, but I need to change that out. What do you think about moving it to this room across from the bed?

    It will fit on the wall opposite the bed. I am also using the small chest as an end table to the left of the bed. Yes, I am going to move the corner cabinet out.

  • 5 years ago

    I was having a problem responding. My answer is at the end of above paragraph.

  • 5 years ago

    Can't wait to see the changes.

  • 5 years ago

    Same here.

  • 5 years ago

    I like your room including the yellow walls. I have almost the same colour (BM Dance de Soleil) only slightly lighter throughout several of my rooms, and, especially if the sky is blue, it immediately lifts my mood. I would remove or paint the corner shelf unit (it looks "kitcheny" to me) and the big chair. The dresser that is there could go on the shelf unit wall and the triple dresser where the current dresser is sitting as long as it doesn't make the room too dark or look too matchy matchy. Some soft drapes to the floor, kept open for the view. One or two smaller scale light colour chairs where the big one is with a table in between if it isn't too cramped. I agree re side tables on both sides and nice lamps. Like the overhead you chose.

  • 5 years ago

    Ladies, I love all of these suggestions! NJmomma, that is a beautiful room. I can see my room looking very similar with a few changes.
    Thank you.
    Now I’m going to throw something else into the mix😁. The triple dresser that goes with the bed is currently in the master, but I need to change that out. What do you think about moving it to this room across from the bed?

    ALL, I’m having technical problems with commenting.
    I absolutely love all the suggestions. I’ll post new pictures when I’m finished. I have to find someone to move all the furniture and that could take awhile.

  • 4 years ago

    I like idea of off-setting rug toward closet and moving dresser to wall opposite the bed or under window. Needs two bedside tables. Think off-setting rug will balance the room better. The corner unit may be better elsewhere.